PDA

View Full Version : TI-99 help?

Atticus
January 29th, 2010, 08:22 AM
I went into my neighbour's basement yesterday and found his TI-99 in basically the same condition it was when I was a kid, with the printer, modem, and everything. According to some papers next to the machine, it hasn't been used since about 1997.
The problem is, when I turn on the computer, it shows a picture of a swan (not kidding) and then it goes to a screen that says "Cannot read from floppy disk". This happens no matter what disk I put in, even the DOS and BASIC boot disks.
I was just wondering if there is a way to correct this, or if anyone knows of one, because the manual doesn't seem to say anything about it.
Thanks, -Atticus

carlsson
January 29th, 2010, 08:31 AM
With the risk of me having zero experience of the TI-99, isn't the floppy drive connected via a big expansion unit? Perhaps you can disconnect the expansion unit completely, leaving a standalone computer which might boot into TI Basic. If that works, your problem is nailed down to finding a floppy disk on which the system can boot.

Atticus
January 29th, 2010, 08:44 AM
With the risk of me having zero experience of the TI-99, isn't the floppy drive connected via a big expansion unit? Perhaps you can disconnect the expansion unit completely, leaving a standalone computer which might boot into TI Basic. If that works, your problem is nailed down to finding a floppy disk on which the system can boot.

I think it is, but it's all inside the computer, and I don't think my neighbour would be happy if I took it apart : ]
It also looks as if it has been modified to have two disk ports rather than one.

carlsson
January 29th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Hm, ok. Just to make sure, does the whole system look anything like this, or is this another TI model than the common TI-99/4(A) ?
http://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/ti99-4a-silver/ti99.gif

If it is the same kind of system, the computer is the keyboard unit unless you already didn't know that. My suggestion would be to disconnect the keyboard unit from the big box.

Ksarul
January 29th, 2010, 03:23 PM
It has a swan--it is a very nice find. It is a TI compatible machine called a Geneve 9640. The Flex cable Interface should NOT be in the PEB and the regular 99/4A keyboard should not be connected either. The Geneve is the card with a forest of connectors in slot 1 of the PEB. It should have an XT keyboard connected to it, and it may also have a mouse (it uses a bus mouse, not a serial mouse). It may also have joysticks connected back there. The disk it is looking for is the boot disk for the Geneve. You should find a disk there called MDOS. That will boot into an OS similar to DOS on a PC. Let me know if you make it that far and we can help you through the rest. . .only about 2000-2500 Geneves were made.