PDA

View Full Version : new retro computing magazine!

wgoodf
January 29th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Ladles and Jellyspoons!

It is with great pleasure that this evening at 12 midnight UTC i am
able to offer you a once in a lifetime opportunity.

An opportunity that you will, i hope in memory you will also share
with your children upon the time you reach and revel in your quiet
days of dotage.

An opportunity that i hesitate to actually speak.
Speak; for i fear that i am unworthy of the privilege and honor of
this announcement.

I know of no other way.... i will just utter forth...

www.300baudmagazine.com

There... it is done.

The announcement, the secret thing... a new retro computing magazine
has been birthed to the world, and you, you my comrades, brothers and
kin folk are here to share it with me.

Click on the link and see the marvel.

A marvel that is - 300 Baud Magazine - the newest retro computing
magazine, this side of the 21st century.

GO! - CLICK!! - BUY!!!

(costs for running of magazine - its the fun of it, not the cash)
((sorry for spamming - its the last time i will do this - apologies if
you get this twice.))

Anonymous Freak
January 29th, 2010, 03:42 PM
This poster spammed the user list by email.

This user needs to be banned, and this post needs to be deleted.

wgoodf
January 29th, 2010, 03:54 PM
the user list from here? i dont have a user list from here?

delete the post if it causes such offense. my intention is not to cause a storm of annoyance, although some get annoyed quicker than others it seems.

buy delete away and i will wander off banished.

apologies for what its worth

Anonymous Freak
January 29th, 2010, 03:58 PM
If you did not get the user list from here, then where did you get it from?

Ah, I see now that you posted this message to another forum I frequent as well. Wherever you got your email list from, unless it specifically stated that it was an approved use of the list to send unsolicited emails, you should not have done so.

wgoodf
January 29th, 2010, 04:09 PM
we are conducting this conversation in private email so should best avoid duplication here.

Moderators - if offense has been caused then please delete the thread. - If you also see fit to delete my account, then while i think it somewhat harsh and over the top, it is your site and you are of course free to do so.

regards

wgoodf

mbbrutman
January 29th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Anonymous - I don't have any spam in my email related to this. Can you explain what you think happened in more detail? We have a fairly significant list of users, but I didn't think it was that easy to get to.

wgoodf
January 29th, 2010, 04:17 PM
the user list is related to the twice yearly retro computer challenge (retrochallenge.net), off which Anonymous Freak had previously signed up, thats why i have his email.

there has been no buying of a user list, no hacking of a user list, simply the emailing of information to people who had previously participated in the retrochallenge and who would perhaps be interested in buying a produced a 'for cost' community retro computing magazine.

mbbrutman
January 29th, 2010, 04:20 PM
That explains why I don't have the email

Anonymous - I don't think this is spam. It might not be a mailing directly related to the retro challenge, but it is a related topic at least. I would be far more upset if it was an Amway (or substitute your favorite multi-level marketing scheme here) sales pitch ...

Mike

mikerm
January 29th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Sounds interesting. It's only $6, I'm going to order one up.

wgoodf
January 30th, 2010, 04:01 AM
thanks for your support
:D

Securix
January 30th, 2010, 09:13 AM
It looks legit for a vintage computer forum and I'll definitely check it out.

mikerm
February 14th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Just got it in Saturday, I gotta say, it was very enjoyable to read. You guys did a great job. I actually learned a whole bunch of stuff from it. Anything that I can learn off of gets an A in my book.

wgoodf
February 14th, 2010, 04:06 PM
:eek:well its nice to know that it wasn't terrible!:D

thanks for getting back, it is very much appreciated.

Lorne
February 14th, 2010, 04:18 PM
That explains why I don't have the email

I didn't get the email either, but then I'm very careful about what I sign up for (as we all should be - you never know what kind of email list you're going to get on, with a little click here and a click there).

EDIT: it looks interesting. If I order it, do I go on an email list (or do you not require an email address for the subscription)?

glitch
February 14th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Just ordered a copy!

wgoodf
February 14th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I didn't get the email either, but then I'm very careful about what I sign up for (as we all should be - you never know what kind of email list you're going to get on, with a little click here and a click there).

EDIT: it looks interesting. If I order it, do I go on an email list (or do you not require an email address for the subscription)?

the email list thing was a misunderstanding at the start.

as it stands we are doing it issue by issue, if you buy one then we would email you when issue two became available. i guess you could tell me not to do that. being amateurs we dont actually have a system for that, but i guess we could figure something out.
i could just delete your email i suppose.

mikerm
February 14th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Actually, if you could email me for issue 2 that would be great. I honestly forgot all about it until I went to the mailbox. It was a pleasant surprise, lol

It would also be cool if you set up a subscription in Paypal if you wanted. Although since it's not regular I don't know if you can just take out when necessary or not.

I pay my hosting bill to my host through a Paypal subscription.

hargle
February 14th, 2010, 07:45 PM
got mine a few days ago too. I'd totally forgotten that I signed up for it, since it was totally spontaneous when I did it, and then it took a couple weeks to show up...
anyway, it's a lot of fun. it very much reminds me of reading 2600 magazine for the size, and yet it's so uber-dorky/geeky to read (and be fascinated by!) articles about things like paper punch tape. I love it.
I hope that someday I might even be able to write an article for it. Maybe I could do something about the trials and tribulations of making new hardware (XTIDE) for our old machines.

fred3rd
February 14th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I just ordered mine. Is this published in U.S. or UK?

Jibbajaba
February 14th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Just ordered a copy. As an amateur journalist myself, it's my pleasure to support someone else's fanzine. I am also curious as to whether or not the 'zine is produced here or in the UK.

Chris

luddite
February 14th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I just ordered mine. Is this published in U.S. or UK?

You could say it's a global concern... head office (wgoodf) is in Scotland, production and distribution is handled (by me) in Canada. If all goes well we'll be opening a branch office in the Cayman Islands ;-)

Anyway, thanks guys for the feedback!

tingo
March 21st, 2010, 02:22 PM
After having read the magazine a couple of times, I must say that it is very nice. Nicely done, and interesting articles too.

kvanderlaag
March 21st, 2010, 02:49 PM
I've been doing some writing for a local magazine focusing on 'geek culture' locally. My articles have tended to have a little more of a 'retro' flavor to them, and I've been generally dissatisfied with the magazine on the whole.

Makes me wish I'd been writing for something like this.

Good work, guys. I might have to pick up the next issue.

wgoodf
May 1st, 2010, 02:01 PM
Can you believe it we managed to get issue two out!

www.300baudmagazine.com

Anyway- We have all original material, and now stand at 40 pages.
Bigger better and glossier!

WIN WIN WIN WIN!
Win a ROBOT!!
Yes really!

Content -
Online Destinations in the Era of 300 Baud by Michael H. McCabe

A Brief Look at Graphics in BASIC by Jeffrey Armstrong

Thinking About Interfacing (or Sticking Something into the Hole at the
Back) by Dale Goodfellow

Hack the Mac - and Introduction to Macintosh Programming Tools by Pekka
Sarkimo

RetroBits - Hot Chicks and Big Computers

A Short History of Pen Computing by David Greelish

Getting Down with Gopher by Rob Sayers

OS-9 by Aaron Wolfe

Our BBS Town by Greg Goodwin

Same price, even better retro value.

Tell you friends - Tell your mother - Tell your retro computer mailing list!

All the best.

*** orders received by the tuesday each week, UK time, will be processed
in about four days, then posted out***

Dale / Wgoodf

glitch
May 2nd, 2010, 06:46 AM
I'd have already ordered a copy, but apparently PayPal is broken at the moment (won't let me select a different shipping address). I enjoyed the first issue, as well as the Framebreaker CD included!

wgoodf
May 2nd, 2010, 07:49 AM
I'd have already ordered a copy, but apparently PayPal is broken at the moment (won't let me select a different shipping address). I enjoyed the first issue, as well as the Framebreaker CD included!

if need be you can just forward the alternative address to me by email if it continually fails.

regards

and thanks for the support!!

wgoodf
May 14th, 2010, 04:11 AM
well the copies seem to be arriving around the world - so get those entires in.
WIN WIN WIN
ROBOT ROBOT ROBOT!

300baudmagazine.com

glitch
May 14th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Yup, mine came in yesterday -- good stuff! I'll definitely keep ordering them!

wgoodf
May 14th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Well, if folk keep buying them...
and we can keep getting people to write for it...
then we will keep putting them out!

all the best and thanks for the feedback.
:-D

glitch
May 14th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I've got an idea for an article you might be interested in...e-mails to follow.

Bonus: it'll be composed using my Kaypro II!

wgoodf
May 14th, 2010, 09:31 AM
My heart is all a flutter!

wthorbjo
May 14th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Got my copy of issue 2 a few days ago, and I must say I'm very impressed. Very high quality, both in packaging and contents! I will certainly buy any forthcoming issues! As time allows, I'll see if I can contribute with an article or two, also.

wgoodf
May 14th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Got my copy of issue 2 a few days ago, and I must say I'm very impressed. Very high quality, both in packaging and contents! I will certainly buy any forthcoming issues! As time allows, I'll see if I can contribute with an article or two, also.

well that is very nice to hear indeed. give me a week and i will come a-knocking at your door!

regards

mark66j
May 16th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I've read issue 2 as well and am impressed. Lots of good material. I will look forward to future issues.

rebeltaz
May 17th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Just ordered my copy of issue two... Wish I had seen this in time to get a copy of the first issue as well :(

tingo
May 26th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Yep, I got issue 2 yesterday. I am impressed. Lots of good stuff in there.

rebeltaz
June 3rd, 2010, 10:49 PM
I got my issue 2 the other day... I don't suppose anyone here wants to get rid of their issue 1?

Maniak
June 9th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Just got back from vacation.. and what do I see sitting on my desk at work.. My Issue 2.

Very impressed. When's issue 3? :)

~Mark

mikerm
June 22nd, 2010, 07:03 PM
Yup, just ordered issue #2, I hadn't realized it was out until now. Can't wait! :)

mikerm
July 12th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Just got issue 2 in, great job guys. Now I want a CoCo with OS-9, lol :)
When's #3 commin out?

wmmullaney
July 12th, 2010, 06:55 PM
wgoodf, for those who didn't jump on board at the beginning, could you possibly offer the back issues online for a slightly reduced price?