PDA

View Full Version : Spectrum Tapes

ppo
February 5th, 2010, 08:14 AM
When I bought my macintosh powerbook, in the flea market, I noticed that the seller had a lot of games for spectrum.

When he realized that I was looking at the tapes he said - you can take what you want. :D

So, I took some tapes, because it's really hard to find games for spectrum here in Portugal.

I'm almost sure that the tapes don't work (to be offered), but who sold them to me, said all of that material was from his son, and that he didn't understand anything about computers.

So, is there some way to know if the tapes are damaged without testing them on a real machine? (because I don't have a spectrum)

barythrin
February 5th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I'm not 100% sure what you'd get out of it but you could use any tape player to play them to your computers microphone jack and then possibly view it graphically with an audio app or load up a spectrum emulator and I'm sure you can try out the files.

carlsson
February 5th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Yup, Barythin is correct. There exists software that would either convert a WAV to TAP/TZX or possibly even let you load the sound directly.

But since you're in Portugal, perhaps those tapes are meant for a TC 2048 or TC 2068, which are slightly different than a UK made ZX Spectrum. In any case emulators tend to handle all those models.

Timex Computer 2048 is by the way different from the never released (?) Timex Sinclair 2048. The TC 2068 also is a bit different from the TS 2068 in the USA

ppo
February 6th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I'm sure the tapes are for ZX Spectrum, I've listened to one of them, and I'm sure that the tape is intact.

Loading the sound directly?

How does that work?

The emulator interprets immediatly what comes in to the microphone?