PDA

View Full Version : Iomega drops older drivers from their support site

mbbrutman
July 27th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Iomega doesn't have device drivers online for their classic Zip drives. (Both parallel port and serial.) They are seriously pushing their newer drives, which look to be USB only.

I like my parallel port Zip drive - it can run on anything from a PCjr up to a new Linux machine. Iomega dropping the drivers from their web site leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

(I have the drivers but make a note to yourself to make sure your collection of drivers for classic hardware is complete.)

tvdog
August 16th, 2005, 08:27 AM
DOS/Windows 3.1 drivers here:

http://tvdog.shacknet.nu/tandy1000/misc/iodos31.zip

or:

ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tandy1000/misc/iodos31.zip

I downloaded them from Iomega's site only a few months ago, it seems. Just in the nick of time.

Micom 2000
August 17th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Happy that I found your archives. Good to see you're still active. I used to loot your old site about 10 years ago after acquiring a 1000SX and remember you detailing your problems with Tandy.

I still have the SX and a program I acquired with manual called "Home Organizer" as well as a manual of Symantecs Q&A Write which required Deskmate. I never did get Deskmate (MSDOS 5 had been installed) but I see you now have it on your site. If I like it I might put it on my GRID LT.

Thanks

Lawrence

DOS/Windows 3.1 drivers here:

http://tvdog.shacknet.nu/tandy1000/misc/iodos31.zip

or:

ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tandy1000/misc/iodos31.zip

I downloaded them from Iomega's site only a few months ago, it seems. Just in the nick of time.

Terry Yager
August 17th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Tandy produced two different versions of DeskMate 3, one for all PC-compatibles, and another which would only run on Tandy hardware (not sure where GRiD figures into the picture).

--T

Micom 2000
August 18th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Tandy produced two different versions of DeskMate 3, one for all PC-compatibles, and another which would only run on Tandy hardware (not sure where GRiD figures into the picture).

--T

The Grid 1500s had a small HDD and only 3 Oconnor models work with them without altering the data in an EEPOM. I love the beast and most of the personal organiser programs I've tried are either too big or cheezy.

L.

Terry Yager
August 18th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Yeah, out of all the early gui-type programs, DM was always my favorite. Too bad Win-dose won out over all the others.
The only thing I don't like about the HomeOrganizer program is the password setup. Once you've set a password for your personal data, it cannot be removed or altered without wiping the program and re-installing it.

--T

Mad-Mike
August 18th, 2005, 01:16 PM
On my first computer, I had Deskmate II (Tandy 1000SX), i think that was probably the most productive GUI I EVER used. I did everything on that program from keeping a schedule to writing stuff for class. The sucky part is that it won't work on a non-Tandy computer (at least, not properly).

MystikShadows
August 18th, 2005, 03:00 PM
anyone know if DeskMate 3.XX might be available for download?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it after a throurough research :-)
http://www.pcxt-micro.com/download.html in case anyone wants it :-). Version 3.69 available and I just executed it from Windows XP directly and seems to want to work fine :-)

tvdog
August 19th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Happy that I found your archives. Good to see you're still active. I used to loot your old site about 10 years ago after acquiring a 1000SX and remember you detailing your problems with Tandy.

I still have the SX and a program I acquired with manual called "Home Organizer" as well as a manual of Symantecs Q&A Write which required Deskmate. I never did get Deskmate (MSDOS 5 had been installed) but I see you now have it on your site. If I like it I might put it on my GRID LT.

Thanks for your comments.

I don't have the manuals for Home Organizer or Q&A Write, just the disks. Do you suppose you could scan them so I could put them online along with the programs?

tvdog
August 19th, 2005, 02:03 AM
On my first computer, I had Deskmate II (Tandy 1000SX), i think that was probably the most productive GUI I EVER used. I did everything on that program from keeping a schedule to writing stuff for class. The sucky part is that it won't work on a non-Tandy computer (at least, not properly).

Try the Tandy 3000 version of DeskMate II:

http://tvdog.shacknet.nu/tandy1000/deskmate/3kdm2dk1.zip
http://tvdog.shacknet.nu/tandy1000/deskmate/3kdm2dk2.zip

(or see ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tandy1000/deskmate/)

The 3000 was a pretty standard AT, so I would expect fewer problems on a new PC than with the SX version.

Micom 2000
August 19th, 2005, 10:09 PM

Thanks for your comments.

I don't have the manuals for Home Organizer or Q&A Write, just the disks. Do you suppose you could scan them so I could put them online along with the programs?

The Deskmate Q&A Write manual is about 200pp in a softcover 7 1/2"
x9 and the Home Organizer about 60pp in an 8 1/2x11 size, so it would be quite the chore to scan them. I frankly don't have the time for such a task. Possibly, once I have them installed on one of my computers and working, I could lend them to you if you or someone else were so ambitious. I could answer any questions answered by the manuals however.

L