PDA

View Full Version : Old 128

bluethunder
February 21st, 2010, 06:10 PM
I posted in another 128k mac thread, but created my own, so I wouldnt Hi-jack the other one anymore...

Just finished building a Mac > PC serial cable to my SE.. I lucked out, turns out the SE had Claris works on it..
So I have telecom software.. I would of been hooped with out it..

Next step, disk copy, and system images for my 128..

I'll post some picts once i got the 128 running.

edit:

Pictures up..

glitch
February 21st, 2010, 06:29 PM
If you can find a SCSI Zip drive, they make good transfer medium for old Mac software. They show up at our local YMCA for $1 with power supplies every now and then. 100 MB goes a long way with System 6 and System 7, and you can get a cheap IDE Zip drive for your desktop -- Linux/Mac OS X will write HFS Zip disks just fine, and I believe there's Windows software for HFS as well.

bluethunder
February 21st, 2010, 10:13 PM
No luck..

I got the comms working, i can transfer files from the pc to the mac.

i found some system 2.0 .sit files. They won't un-stuff.. doesn't really do anything thing with them on the SE. They unstuff fine on the PC.

I found system 3, finder 5 in an hqx. Unpacks the hqx, but won't unstuff the .sit file that it leaves behind. says its corrupt..

Gonna try to put system 7 on the SE, and find the "stargate" software i've read about?

Does any one have an early System 2 that they could image the disk, and hqx it?

thanks..

edit:

Since I can unstuff these files on my PC, I wonder if my stuff-it on the SE is too old. I have version 4.1. What is the newest version that will run on a SE?

Anonymous Freak
February 22nd, 2010, 03:25 PM
Not to short circuit your learning experience, but where are you located? I could just send you a physical disk.

Also, what hardware do you have, running what software? (What's the PC {general spec, no need to be exact,} what type of SE, what OS on each?)

bluethunder
February 22nd, 2010, 05:06 PM
I'm located up in frozen canada..

The PC is an AMD quad core. Windows XP Box.. Built it for gaming.

The SE is what i've discovered, is a 4/40 (4mb/40mb hd), with 6.0.8 on in, from 1987. No superdrive. From the symptoms, the SIT files are too new for suffit 4.0.1.. I've tracked down stuffit 4.5.. I also got a stripped system disk with 7.0.1 to try booting off of.

I have managed to use diskcopy, and make disks of images from the PC.. just seems the stuffit files for the available systems that would run a 128, are too new for what will run on the SE..

I've taken this as a personal challenge, to get this 128 booted.. :-)

morpheus256
February 23rd, 2010, 08:36 AM
I'm assuming by "frozen Canada" you're on the east coast? we've had nothing but warm temperatures and no snow all winter on the west coast (BC) :)

Congrats on the 128k, i recently picked up one myself as well.

bluethunder
February 23rd, 2010, 10:40 AM
I'm assuming by "frozen Canada" you're on the east coast? we've had nothing but warm temperatures and no snow all winter on the west coast (BC) :)

Congrats on the 128k, i recently picked up one myself as well.

I'm in Calgary, Alberta... Right now its not bad, but we like our weather to swing from +5 to -30..

I'm going to try to put together a how-to on making these disks if your stuck with a 800k mac.

morpheus256
February 24th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Thought i replied to this last night.... odd.
Anyway, I actually am out in Calgary semi-regularly (inlaw visits), so if you needed a hand i can definitely lend it. making 400k boot disks shouldn't be "too" hard on an 800k mac, when you erase(initialize) a DD disk, it'll ask you if you want to format one sided or two sided, you want to do one sided 400k. if you need a boot disk or two, let me know and i can mail them out to you as well.

bluethunder
February 24th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I finally beat this thing. Bit of a convoluted route, but it works.. Why wouldnt you have the images for a 400/800k Mac available in format that a 400/800k mac could read....

The main problem, is that every image that will run on this thing, was compressed in a .sit newer than stuffit 4.0.1, that would run on my SE. So I could never uncompress the files.
I could un-stuff the files on my PC, though, but all the resource fork data was lost, and diskcopy 4.2 wouldnt read the file.

The whole secret was, mini vMac. I could boot the emulator on a 6.0.8 system, mount the .dsk image files for the OS, and re-diskcopy them back into images (with all the resource fork data intact).

Using stuffit lite 3.6, i recompressed the image file in a format my SE could understand (and loaded stuffit lite 3.6 on it as well). From there, simple as turning the image back into a 400k disk.

If some one is interested, I could put together a little package (and if its legal on this board), with a 40MB disk image (zips down to 2mb or so), with the tools you need to make the conversion.

Now, what to do with the 128.......

linuxlove
February 25th, 2010, 03:58 AM
How about hook it up to a linux terminal and "browse the web" with it? :P One of our other members already did that with his 128k.

Anonymous Freak
February 25th, 2010, 07:31 AM
How about hook it up to a linux terminal and "browse the web" with it? :P One of our other members already did that with his 128k.

That'd be me. :-P

Yeah, it's a silly use. My other uses for my 128 are playing old games, and, uh....

Yeah, that's about it.

I really need to get terminal software for my Apple IIc, its green-scale monochrome screen would be a much more appropriate serial terminal. (And I like the keyboard better.)

glitch
February 25th, 2010, 07:45 AM
You can use Modem MGR with the Apple II series for terminal emulation. I use it with my IIe. You can send the image over to a floppy disk using ADT Pro -- if you don't have disks, cables, et c., PM me for a copy of Modem MGR and/or ADT Pro.

As to uses for the 128...I use my Classic II as a terminal emulator, and for composing documents when I don't want distractions that come with my Internet-connected Linux machine. The Linux machine reads Mac formatted floppies and MO disks, so transferring the documents over is easy.