PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting for Macintosh Quadra

idgebee
February 23rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
Hi, everybody! I need help. I have a Macintosh Quadra 660AV that is in good condition, but every time I start it up, the floppy disk with the blinking question mark (?) appears... What should I do?
~Idgebee~

Anonymous Freak
February 23rd, 2010, 04:50 PM
Install an OS.

If you don't have an optical drive, then you will need to create System disks from images.

If you have access to another 'beige' Macintosh, you can download a multi-part image (NOT individual disk images,) from http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html#system, along with the "Network Access Disk" image. Boot the Quadra to the Network Access Disk, and share the multi-part image from the other system to the Quadra and install over the network. You can network either via Ethernet, or serial (LocalTalk.)

If the only other machines you have access to are Windows machines, well, you'll need more assistance than I can help with.

mikerm
February 23rd, 2010, 08:34 PM
The easiest way I found is to buy an OS off of eBay, your Quadra can use System 7.1 through 8.1. System 7.6 seems to be a pretty good choice once it's updated. Your Quadra uses caddy's in the cd-rom (unless it's been changed), so you will have to scare one of those up too.

Otherwise you can get system 7.5 on floppies, or like said above, if you have access to another Mac boot with the network disk, or make System 7.5 floppies. There are a few apps out the there that will let you manipulate Mac floppies on your pc (although not free afaik).

Oh, and open her up and make sure there's actually a hard drive.

glitch
February 23rd, 2010, 09:01 PM
I can write a version of System 7 to floppy for you, if you have no other way of getting it onto the machine, if you want to pay for disks + shipping. It's free from Apple nowadays, but as mentioned, if you don't have a Mac with a floppy drive, it's hard to write the images to real disks. Once you get it running, you can transfer files to it over Ethernet (get an AAUI-15 to 10baseT tranceiver if you don't have one) using either TCP/IP or AppleTalk if you've got another Mac or a Linux machine on your network.

idgebee
February 25th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks guys! I've found a floppy disk on ebay with the original OS (I can't find the CD cartridge that goes into the optical drive)...
~Idgebee~

PS: Do I have to press anything on the keyboard for the disk to start installing the OS?

glitch
February 25th, 2010, 09:42 AM
No, floppies should automatically boot the machine, even if it's got a hard disk with System Software installed on it.