PDA

View Full Version : VIntage Cases

bluethunder
March 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM
Not entirely sure this is the right forum to post this in... It does have to do with ancient cases though..

Had an odd thought a while back, thats started me on the hunt for a old (early 80's) vintage PC case to stuff my main PC/gaming rig into (ATX mainboard).

Preferably looking for non functional units, don't want to ruin a serviceable museum piece.

Here's my list.. Wonder if any has opinions on doing a case mod on these, or ideas on other unique looking cases of the same vintage. (I have a welder, cutting, and sheet metal tools)

IBM PC / XT case. -- Real vintage vibe, 2 FH bays.
Compaq Portable I / II-- Hard to get any more unique than that.. I bet its a bugger inside though.
(missed one of these by a couple months.. co-worker tossed a NFG one).
Fun to put a small LCD with a green film mask in the Monitor hole
IBM 5155 Portable
Compaq Deskpro (1984)

Chuck(G)
March 1st, 2010, 10:51 AM
If you're looking for "real vintage" cases, what could be more vintage than a 6U rackmount case?

I'm with you, though. Most modern cases, particularly the towers are unspeakably ugly. Some of the HTPC cases aren't too bad, however. It should be possible to adapt a normal non-ATX desktop case to ATX use, though. The center-to-center spacing of the expansion slots has stayed the same after the 5150 (the 5150 used a wider spacing). There were also some AT/ATX cases that had backplates that would fit either type of motherboard.

But if you're into towers, how about this (http://www.geekologie.com/2007/11/handcarved_wood_pc_looks_woode.php) for a gaming box?

MikeS
March 1st, 2010, 11:54 AM
If you're looking for "real vintage" cases, what could be more vintage than a 6U rackmount case?

I'm with you, though. Most modern cases, particularly the towers are unspeakably ugly.
<snippage>
But if you're into towers, how about this (http://www.geekologie.com/2007/11/handcarved_wood_pc_looks_woode.php) for a gaming box?

Now *THAT*'s a case mod! Don't know why the comments are so negative, I think it's a masterpiece. Wonder where CD/DVD/FD goes though...

Re: "PC/XT" cases, I think it's worth emphasizing what you said, that they're *not* the same and the PC slot spacing is not 'standard'.

bluethunder
March 1st, 2010, 12:19 PM
Not too worried about the slot spacing on the back end of these..

I have 3 generic ATX tower boxes.. Just cut the back end out one of these, and rivet/weld them into the PC case.. Need it anyways, because of the ATX IO block (keyboard, sound, etc), and have a tidy/pro looking mod.

Chuck(G)
March 1st, 2010, 04:46 PM
Don't bother with welding. Blind rivets should do the trick. Heck, many if not most cases are put together with them nowadays.

Ole Juul
March 1st, 2010, 05:06 PM
Yep, pop rivets work well and you don't need very many. Also, the MB can basically go anywhere since just a few little bolts do the trick. Fancy standoffs aren't needed if you don't have them handy.

I didn't use a vintage case, but I did discover that the wide towers will take a micro ATX sideways. Cut the case in half for a unique look. It's not too hard to put some wood or plastic or fur, on it if you want to dress it up. Here are some pictures:
http://voxigo.wordpress.com/2009/07/24/case-mod/

Chuck(G)
March 1st, 2010, 05:16 PM
I didn't use a vintage case, but I did discover that the wide towers will take a micro ATX sideways. Cut the case in half for a unique look. It's not too hard to put some wood or plastic or fur, on it if you want to dress it up.

Very cool, Ole, but fur? Hairy cases, oooookay... How about chinchilla?

In place of standoffs, I've been known to screw in a couple of strips of maple and attach the board with woodscrews. You could also use plastic.

Ole Juul
March 1st, 2010, 05:47 PM
Well FUR is not normally used, but then people seem to have a pretty narrow idea of what computers should look like. If I actually liked "cases" then I'd be tempted to use astroturf or California stucco. (VBG)

Hey, now you got me thinking. (evil grin) How about those electro-luminous (cutable) sheets they used to sell for front panel use. A glowing case with slowly changing colour would be doable with that stuff. Where do you get it nowadays?

Chuck(G)
March 1st, 2010, 07:16 PM
It's around, but not as cheap as it used to be. Google "EL Panel".

I was actually thinking of something that blended metalworking and taxidermy. :)

Ole Juul
March 1st, 2010, 09:10 PM
It's around, but not as cheap as it used to be. Google "EL Panel".
I'd forgotten the name. I knew you'd come up with it. Thanks!

I was actually thinking of something that blended metalworking and taxidermy. :)
Ja, I realized that after I hung up. My neighbour's dog is about the right size. But seriously, panels can easily be covered with leather of very pleasant colours or textures. I see that Tandy Leather has a nice selection (at least in Vancouver). Somehow, using leather from Tandy sounds fitting.