PDA

View Full Version : Wang PC-001

Peter S.
August 5th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Hi, I just picked up a vintage-looking server (I think it's a server) from a garage sale for $1.00. I looked on the web and even at old-computers.com for info but couldn't find it. Maybe someone here can help:

It says "WANG" on the front and has 2 FH bays. On the back there is a tag that says "PC-001 and 06-1983" It is about as wide as an IBM XT but WAY longer. The slots inside seem to look like ISA, but I have not tried putting a card in, and I have not fired it up. The power supply is HUGE! If anyone has any info, please post it. Thanks!!

Terry Yager
August 5th, 2005, 03:29 PM
That Wang is not-quite-PC-compatible, and I wouldn't advise using PC boards in any of the slots. Did you get any software or docs with it? (I might be able to dig sum'n up).

--T

Peter S.
August 5th, 2005, 04:24 PM
No, I did not get anything with it. No monitor, no keyboard and no documents. Just a very heavy piece of equipment.

MystikShadows
August 5th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Can't even find a pic of a Wang PC001...anybody got one so I can see what it looks like>?

Terry Yager
August 5th, 2005, 08:39 PM
No, I did not get anything with it. No monitor, no keyboard and no documents. Just a very heavy piece of equipment.

We've got a spare keyboard and several monitors (B&W). There are two styles of monitor, one that sits on the desktop, and the other type rides on an articulated arm that clamps onto the edge of the desktop and swings out of the way when not in use (very kewl). I'll try to get some pics tomorrow & post 'em. I haven't found the software & docs for 'em, but I know they're around somewhere in ComputerHell.

--T

UPDATE: I could only find one keyboard for the two (1.5) machines, so I don't have an extra like I thought I did. I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to hang terminals off the serial port, and re-direct the I/O on the bootdisk. It's still MSDOS, even if it ain't IBM-compatible. We do have several spare monitors though.

--T

carlsson
August 12th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Here is a Wang PC-002:

http://www.total.net/~hrothgar/museum/WangPC002/

I wonder how a 001 differs from a 002? We had one of these in the computer club in high school, but I don't know exactly which model it was. It used an analogue (?) monitor and the graphics card had a CGA/EGA input through IIRC. We redirected the video output from an EGA 286 through the Wang video and could view the picture on the Wang monitor. Possibly this was a non-standard expansion card.

Terry Yager
August 21st, 2005, 10:29 PM
Finally dug out the Wang PCs for pix, etc. I couldn't find the PC-001 or 002 designation anywhere on them, but they look very similar to the pix linked to above. The tags on the back read:

Wang PC-XC3-2 (single floppy/hard drive)
and
Wang PC-XC2-2 (dual floppies).

Here's some pix (including the very slick swing-away monitor):

http://webpages.charter.net/shent449/comphell/wangpix/

I'm guessing, from the orientation of the Wang logo, that they are intended to lie on thier side. The stickers on the back are oriented the other way, however (sideways?).

--T

elbowgeek
October 16th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Wow, I just joined this forum and this post immediately brought back some memories.

I used to work on these a bit, as I worked for a company that was part Wang dealership for Bermuda.

There were DIN plugs for keyboard and monitor (actually a kind of terminal really, running off the card inside the system).

This PC was intended very much as IBM intended their PC, to be essentially a terminal for their big iron systems, with some local processing capabilities. It wasn't compatible with the IBM on anything but the DOS level. Hardware was completely different. The latest version of MS-DOS for this was 2.1 I believe.

There was a version of Lotus 123, which my Dad used when he had one in his office. Interesting story: He had asked the head of IT for a function to written in the Wang minicomputer system that would alert him when his trusts were due for payment. IT guy sez No way, too much trouble, too much time, blah blah. So my dad gets this heaving old beast (this was early 90's) and manages to run his whole department on it with the creaky old version of Lotus installed. Love that story.

Cheers

WhyMAX
February 15th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Late reply, but here is the facts...

From CREATIVE COMPUTING VOL. 10, NO. 5 / MAY 1984

"Wang offers four partially bundled configurations of the Wang PC at prices below those of the individual components. The components are also available unbundled.

The PC001 base system consists of the system unit with 128K, single floppy disk drive, keyboard, MS-DOS, and Basic interpreter. Price is $2595.

The PC002 adds the character display adapter and monochrome monitor and costs $3265. The PC003B adds (to the PC002) a second floppy disk drive and costs $3790. The PC004A adds (to the PC002) a graphics display adapter and second disk drive. Price is $4030.

The PC005 adds (to the PC002) the graphics adapter and 10Mb Winchester drive; it costs $6400.

A bundled software package consisting of Wang Word Processing, Multiplan, and asynchronous communications costs $650.

add-on memory boards cost $500 for 128K, $850 for 256K, and $1700 for 512K. The 10Mb Winchester drive is priced at $2385.

From this, it should be evident that Wang is not trying to gain a place in the market by using price as its primary weapon. Complete configurations cost just slightly less than comparable versions of the IBM PC; thus customers must make a purchasing decision vased on hardware and software features. "

elbowgeek
February 15th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Many thanks for that - very interesting to get an historical perspective.

Later, I remember Wang came out with a true PC clone which was quite nice, with a keyboard which rivalled IBM's for typing feel.

Towards the end however, they started sourcing junk clones which were truly cheap. Ironically, they actually seemed to hold together, despite being so shoddily made.

Cheers

Micom 2000
February 15th, 2006, 09:50 PM
My Wang PC001 was like Wrothgar's (who I used to be in contact with, in the pics on his site. The card that identified it was clearly labelled. Could have been called a MSDOS Emulator. The main board tho had a bunch of Z-80 chips, so it must have also been able to run Wang's OS.

I dumped it in one of my moves because I was never able to find a KB or Monitor. Hmm. I'll see if I can raise him Terry and see if he's still into collecting and looking for a monitor, before "Computer Hell" goes away.

Lawrence

Chris2005
March 23rd, 2006, 03:42 PM
wasn't there like a reall big Wang system (not sure if it was patterned after a PEECEE or not)? It was big, probably had casters on the bottom.

Terry Yager
March 23rd, 2006, 05:56 PM
Z80s were sometimes installed in other machines as co-processors. The Altos 686's main processor is an Intel 80286, but it has 3x Z80s used as I/O processors to handle the six serial ports.

--T

Willis
July 19th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Hi!

I found (in the far past :) some Wang PC components (It's with that XT type CPU): the motherboard, video controller, mfm controller, floppy controller, but no power supply. Can I hope that someone will help with that what voltages are requied on it's power connector? So I could finally see if it still works :D

Thanks!

-Willis

Chuck(G)
July 19th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Later, I remember Wang came out with a true PC clone which was quite nice, with a keyboard which rivalled IBM's for typing feel.

Rivaled IBM's keyboard because it was IBM's keyboard. I'm typing on one right now--Wang logo on the top, but an IBM-labeled model M on the bottom. :)

I've actually got a few of these--a couple have the curly cord; the others have a flat cable. All terminate in PS/2 mini-DINs.

brada
September 17th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I have a working power supply available for anyone aswell as an pc-classic 256K motherboard, must be still working. Tried to solder it up to 512KB once but did not succeed. Probably needed some extra driver IC's which i did not have.

I have worked with these classics for several years and had one myself too but dumped it as i had no function for it anymore. The PWR is from that machine. I desoldered the cables to use it's 12V power for a car coolingbox as the supply is very rudged and supplies a lot of amperage. I kept the plugs and some cables but they need to be soldered again to the main board of the power-supply. Also have original software laying around on diskettes. I can help you set things up as far as my memory will let me ofcourse. At last i have a self-made monitor cable to install a generic monochrome monitor like the commodore or philips green screens or even an IBM monochrome instead of the original wang pm-004, to a mon. monitor card on the back of the wang (with the double din-plugs, 1 is power, other is video). There used to be a IBM-pc compatible card with a special boot-diskette as well so you could run PC-DOS 2.11 from IBM and actually run many IBM/MS-DOS programs. The wang-pc classic was actually much faster (2x) than the IBM pc as it ran on a 8086 (16-bit) processor at 10Mhz against the IBM with an 8088 (8-bit) at 4.77 Mhz.
The wang pc-classic could also be used as a workstation for WANG's bigger systems VS (Virtual Storage, like mini's and mainframes), it than acted as a dumb terminal but an extra special card installed for coax-cable connection. These systems were rocksolid like a hummer but expensive, heavy and because not 100% ibm-pc compatible lost the battle. Many customers swore by the WANG wordprocessing, the keyboard touch & layout plus the very handy and easy menu system WANG had developed. Some later the WANG APC came which had an 286 processor that could not run only DOS but also Xenix286 (developed by MS! yes unix made by Billysoft) and be used as a server with serial communication card(s) installed (no ethernet/TCP network yet). Anyone who needs some old-school knowledge feel free to drop me a line. :rolleyes:

alker
September 18th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I recently sold a WANG PC - I made some big pictures so you can get a good impression of the components:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290341858932

I also have some spare cards (HDD Controller, video board, ram board, cpu board) which are known working. I also have 2 other machines that work and I'm willing to trade with other machines or sell them.

pine-koan
October 26th, 2009, 05:52 PM
The Wang keyboard that works with the Classic Wang PC is the same keyboard used on the Wang VS' 4230 workstation. I've seen these on eBay occasionally.

Willis
October 18th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Up? Up!

Old Wang User
November 27th, 2012, 06:55 AM
I moved recently and dug out my 1987 vintage Wang PC. I fired it up only to find that some keys on the keyboard do not work. In particular the execute and enter key. So can't enter anything. Is there a source for a keyboard?

L

Many thanks for that - very interesting to get an historical perspective.

Towards the end however, they started sourcing junk clones which were truly cheap. Ironically, they actually seemed to hold together, despite being so shoddily made.

Cheers

JohnElliott
November 27th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I moved recently and dug out my 1987 vintage Wang PC. I fired it up only to find that some keys on the keyboard do not work. In particular the execute and enter key. So can't enter anything. Is there a source for a keyboard?

IIRC it's a foam-and-foil keyboard, so one solution would be to open up the keyboard and replace the perished foam on those keys; I had some success on an Apricot Xi keyboard using double-sided sticky pads as replacements.

RickNel
November 28th, 2012, 01:59 PM
From this long thread it is apparent that documentation for the various Wang PCs is very scarce. I know I gave up restoring one for that reason, because they were fairly eccentric designs with special BIOS arrangements even on the commodity hardware models such as PC-002. If you have any documentation on your machine, you would do vintage computing a favour if you could make it available to Bitsavers.org.

Al Kossow of bitsavers is a member of this forum.

SpidersWeb
November 29th, 2012, 11:58 AM
On that note, has anybody worked out how to emulate the keyboard and monitor?
I've got a PC-005 - ST412 + Winchester Controller + IBM Compat. Graphics expansion - but no screen or keyboard - so as above I haven't bothered repairing the PSU because I can't do anything with it!

Edit: found keyboard on ebay, expensive! So wont order that until I know the thing works (if anyone has one for less than $90US let me know lol). Discovered that if I remove the video card, the unit should send output to the serial port which might be worth a try.

marcopolo
December 9th, 2012, 06:24 AM
I'm working on a converter for using a PS/2 keyboard. It works but it is not yet finished.

I got a "few" Wang PC-002 3 weeks ago but only one good keyboard and one PC with a hard disk.

http://www.chaponost.net/tmp/wang/_DSC3227.JPG
http://www.chaponost.net/tmp/wang/_DSC3224.JPG

RickNel
December 9th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Wow! You probably now have the world's biggest collection of these cranky machines.:eek:

marcopolo
December 9th, 2012, 01:43 PM
No, my friend who found this lot got 20 PC with monitors for him.

gerrydoire
April 14th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Speaking of Wang

I have an 8bit VGA Card with switches and it's sais on the Bios WVGA Bios 1.01
Wang 1988

The Card has a TSENG ET3000 chip.

Anyone know what the settings are for the switches?

angel_grig
April 15th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Have you checked here?http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/8ISA_1.html#.UWwLcaJ7JNd.Maybe an unidentified card matches yours...

motley2659
April 16th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Has anybody noticed a strange smell coming from their Wang? My Wang is currently non-functional.

SpidersWeb
April 16th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Has anybody noticed a strange smell coming from their Wang? My Wang is currently non-functional.

I did. Had it checked by my doctor, he said it was fine.

On topic - I have a non-functioning one, no real smell, but I know my power supply had let out the magic smoke before I got it. What does yours do? and is it the original Wang PC or one of their later models?

motley2659
April 20th, 2013, 05:47 PM
:)

I actually don't own a Wang. I was just being juvenile.

wolf_67
March 8th, 2015, 12:45 AM
touch the wang ;)

http://youtu.be/45BXGj3m46Y

hammerfrog
March 17th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Hello!
I have a wang pc 005 A
Could anyone tell me for what price this machine could be sold if it works?
Or what the collector's value of this old pc is?

SpidersWeb
March 23rd, 2015, 01:17 PM
Hello!
I have a wang pc 005 A

It's hard to judge because there isn't a huge market for it. To the right person, at the right time - which could take many months to find - I'd say $150-250 is possible for a working system.
For a quick sale I'd be guessing in the 50-100 range and even that could take a little time. They're cool machines, but limited software and parts can put most buyers off.

I would've been interested in that price range, however I get murdered by postage costs.

If the machine is a runner, I'd list it complete.
If there is something wrong, I'd list it as parts.

Items like the keyboard are very rare, I spent $80 to get mine.
Just make sure not to scrap it. I'm still looking for a screen for mine.

Collectors value - full 16 bit implementation with plug'n play style architecture, traditional Wang design with a stacks and stacks of chips, worth it just for the cool startup lights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmGo4-I7v6g

tipc
March 23rd, 2015, 04:40 PM
Hello!
I have a wang pc 005 A

Where are you located? Personally I don't believe I've ever seen one for sale, but that doesn't mean anything.

I don't think they even offered a color monitor, but could these produce color at all, or were they strictly monochrome?

SpidersWeb
March 23rd, 2015, 05:47 PM
I don't think they even offered a color monitor, but could these produce color at all, or were they strictly monochrome?
There was an RGB card, but it seems to be much rarer than the machine itself since these were mostly used for data processing etc I've only ever seen it referenced in documentation. In all of the models I've seen it's been the monochrome setup - requires a special monitor that is powered/signaled using dual DIN connectors - 800x300 green monochrome.

I've got two complete systems, one keyboard, and no screen. Annoyingly to use the thing you need the screen, because MS DOS doesn't support a serial console (even though the machine does).

Any software that people find should be imaged as soon as possible. They're normal MS DOS 360KB disks but content can be damn hard to find.

wolf_67
March 28th, 2015, 12:08 PM
hi, have you some pics?
with monitor and keyboard?
what kind of expansionscards?
winchester and diskette drives?