PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow 100 OS

jdwhiskey
March 5th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I have a factory sealed brand new OS for the Rainbow 100. I know nothing about it but here is what it says on the box( CP/M-86/80 Version 2.0 operating system) I am just trying find out if there is a market for this stuff and is it worth selling or just throw it away.

mikerm
March 5th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Don't throw it away, there is a market. I would recommend posting in the for sale forum and name a price you are willing to part with it for.

jdwhiskey
April 2nd, 2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the reply Mike, I think I will put it on Ebay but I don't know what a fair price would be, I don't want to sell it too low or below what it might be worth and I don't want to be too high and make someone feel like they paid too much.

Thanks Again
Don

barythrin
April 2nd, 2010, 08:38 PM
Well, the good and bad of ebay of course is the fees for posting (kinda crap but hey admittedly they're the largest audience). So the good part is the market and price kind of works itself out. Don't worry much about the price, if you post it there, I'd recommend coming here and letting us know so 1. those who are interested can bid, and 2. google hits this site pretty regularly and it'll add some desirable focus to your auction. The price it goes for will be fairly accurate of the demand or higher than the normal demand.

I wouldn't be a good little forum user if I didn't mention this site also has a free to post auction area in the main page it's the marketplace. It's good for local forum viewers and the good part is no fees. Maybe less audience but certainly folks that would put it to good use.

Good luck! :-)

jdwhiskey
April 10th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I have listed this Rainbow computer operating system for sale on Ebay here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/DEC-Rainbow-Computer-OS-CP-M-86-80-Version-2-0_W0QQitemZ170471226501QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defau ltDomain_0?hash=item27b0e07c85

If the link don't work just search Ebay for DEC Rainbow computer OS CP/M-86/80 Version 2.0

Micom 2000
April 10th, 2010, 07:41 PM
While I do have a working Dec Rainbow and a bunch of software, I have been looking for the original issue for over 10 years. I live in Canada (you know, your friendly neighbor to the north, Canuckistan) Since you were simply sniffing out interest and didn't even offer it to forum members I searched it out on E-Pay. You might imagine my annoyance when I saw it was a US-only offering.

Any of the US forum members willing to bid on this for me and then forward it ? I of course would cover all costs beforehand. Preferably from a closer border state. PM me please.

Thank-you
Lawrence

jdwhiskey
April 18th, 2010, 10:39 AM
The Rainbow OS has been sold.

1ajs
June 1st, 2010, 07:06 PM
While I do have a working Dec Rainbow and a bunch of software, I have been looking for the original issue for over 10 years. I live in Canada (you know, your friendly neighbor to the north, Canuckistan) Since you were simply sniffing out interest and didn't even offer it to forum members I searched it out on E-Pay. You might imagine my annoyance when I saw it was a US-only offering.

Any of the US forum members willing to bid on this for me and then forward it ? I of course would cover all costs beforehand. Preferably from a closer border state. PM me please.

Thank-you
Lawrence

see ur in manitoba.... winnipeg here i got a raimbow 100 colecting dust with software and bunch of other stuff that needs a home
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/9385/decsoftware.jpg

Micom 2000
June 2nd, 2010, 12:20 PM
PM sent.

Lawrence

Chuck(G)
June 2nd, 2010, 01:46 PM
The Rainbow OS has been sold.

...and I'll wager that we'll never hear from you again--until you've got something else to sell. :)

Micom 2000
June 2nd, 2010, 10:24 PM
Of course not. Guys like that just post here to see if their stuff is of any value or to toss it. Fortunately the guy immediately above is in my own area. I contacted him and he seems to be a decent sort.

L.

1ajs
June 3rd, 2010, 06:02 AM
that statement was directed at me? i thought it was at the other guy. i only posted my dec thing since he was looking for something i have that i want to find a home...

NobodyIsHere
June 3rd, 2010, 06:55 AM
Hi! I think you can safely chalk this one up as another "how much is it worth" spam.

:-/

Frustrating.

Andrew Lynch

Micom 2000
June 3rd, 2010, 01:23 PM
That wasn't directed a you. It was directed a JDwhiskey. Ignore Lynch's post, he has comprehension problems and can't see the trees for the Bush.

Lawrence

that statement was directed at me? i thought it was at the other guy. i only posted my dec thing since he was looking for something i have that i want to find a home...

1ajs
June 3rd, 2010, 04:51 PM
ha har har cheers man

Micom 2000
July 30th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Just to update this thread. I picked up the documentation as well as a mint, tho without a HD, DEC Rainbow and a bunch of Rainbow disks at the end of June. He is a very remarkable young man who inherited an amazing amount of legacy stuff as well as extensive testing equipment from his father. From what he told me his father was likely someone who some of the oldtimers on the forum, and for sure those on classiccmp would know. You would have to contact him to get a name. He has an amazing amount of vintage stuff.

This is for those who doubted his sincerity.

Lawrence

1ajs
August 24th, 2010, 08:20 PM
txs

and anyone who had been at some computer convention way back in 79 80 in LA (around the time nassa laid off a swack of people?? i duno the exact yr) who tried to win that machean as the door prize it wound up in northern canada

johnhary
September 24th, 2010, 05:37 AM
his is the machine that could've rivalled the IBM PC for desktop superiority had Ken Olsen (CEO of Digital) let it; I believe his words were "The future of computing is not on the desktop!", though some sources have a similar quote: "There's no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home". This almost rivals IBM's chairman Thomas Watson's quote of 1945 that he didn't see a need for the world to have any more than 4 computers :)

Hindi Songs (http://www.funrocker.com/)