PDA

View Full Version : Installing Network Card in IBM XT

mAJORD
March 5th, 2010, 06:29 PM
HI Guys.

Hoping someone can help me with my attempt to get this 16bit card instaled in the old XT.

The Card is a Topware, Realtek RTL8008 chipset,

I've been trying to use RSET.EXE to install.

The first time, it found the card, and said their was an I/O addess conflict, so it changed to 200h
Then it reported there were no Interupts available, and bombed out.

I tried moving to another ISA slot, it seemed to cause more problems, with the MFM controller becoming unresponsive and throwing up an Error at boot.

Could this card perhaps not run in 8bit mode? Or should I be using another method to configure this card :(

I have read, perhaps around here I can't recal, that the RTL8019AS has been run succesfully in the XT. It too is a 16bit card, I was hoping this model would also.

Cheers!
James

k2x4b524[
March 5th, 2010, 09:34 PM
if you can, try and find a 3COM etherlink 2 tp 8-bit card or an intel etherexpress 8/16, some 3com 16bit cards work in 8-bit i think the 3com etherlink III - TPO ones do, aswell as some of SMC's chip sets.

Chuck(G)
March 5th, 2010, 09:43 PM
One I've used is the Artisoft AE-2. NE2000 compatible and does work in 8 or 16 bit mode.

mAJORD
March 5th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys.

I can get hold of an 8019, but i'll look out for those too since they're proven to work.

So nothing I could be doing wrong? Does choice of slot / card order have much affect on these things. it's been ages since I've had to deal with these sort of problems :)

Cheers

Jorg
March 5th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Do you have a picture of the card? I do have a clone with RTL8008 I believe, and the setup files (Rset).

What you might have to do it install the card in a 16 bit machine and run setup there. Then configure it to an IRQ (5) and I/O address that is available on the XT and set it to 8 bit NE1000 mode.
It might now been configured to an I/O and interrupt that does not exist at all on the XT, so you can't change it.

mAJORD
March 5th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Hi Jorg. Thanks for the reply.

I'll grab a picture shortly.

The card as installed in a 486 machine, but the HDD has stopped working on it! otherwise I could have used it for that task. So I'll have to do as you suggest, and fire up another 486 motherboard and drive :)
So I can actually setup the card for NE1000 mode? Is there some EEPROM on the card or something to store this setup info?

Jorg
March 5th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I think mine stores it - as far as I remember- but not sure its the same card.
I tried to attach the rset to this message but it seems upload won't work.

Anyway it looks your rset works, if not PM me (or get on IRC :) )

mAJORD
March 5th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Just noticed an EEPROM chip on the top of the pcb.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5757/img3976y.th.jpg (http://img695.imageshack.us/i/img3976y.jpg/)

Whats your IRC server/chan? :)

Jorg
March 5th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Card looks very similar to mine, I'll see if I can find it. I just have all three connector types at the back.
its the vcf irc :) irc.gimp.net #vc

salamontagne
March 6th, 2010, 03:54 AM
I'm doing the exact same thing myself....trying to get a 8088 clone on a network.

Personally, if you cant get the card to work, there are a few other options

an SMC/ Western Digital 8003 (Cant personally recommend, its the one that i have right now and its causeing me no end of headaches)
an NE1000 clone (I'm looking over a couple on e-pay as a write this)
an 3c503 (mentioned by another member above)

The dos drivers/config are located here:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=15&PFid=15&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true#RTL8008

let me know how you make out and good luck!

carlsson
March 6th, 2010, 05:14 AM
i think the 3com etherlink III - TPO ones do
While an Etherlink III can be made to work in an 8-bit slot, the only packet driver I'm aware of requires a 286 or better.

mbbrutman
March 6th, 2010, 05:28 AM
One interesting thing about the code and drivers that require a 286 ... often a V20 CPU will run that code too. The V20 implements the additional instructions but not the protected mode. That is often good enough; NCSA Telnet and the Iomega Zip drivers are two examples of code that require a 286 but can be made to run unpatched on an XT class system by using a V20 processor.

mAJORD
March 6th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Hi Salmon, Will do.

I'm currently trying to do what Jorg suggested. When I plug it into a working 486 now, it kills the FDD controller.. must be conflicting with it, so now I can't boot into dos to change the settings!

Frustration ++++ at the moment

vwestlife
March 6th, 2010, 04:34 PM
One interesting thing about the code and drivers that require a 286 ... often a V20 CPU will run that code too. The V20 implements the additional instructions but not the protected mode. That is often good enough; NCSA Telnet and the Iomega Zip drivers are two examples of code that require a 286 but can be made to run unpatched on an XT class system by using a V20 processor.
Also the Windows 95 and newer version of MS-DOS EDIT, which loads faster than the DOS 5/6 version and doesn't require QBASIC, but does require a V20 chip to run on an XT-class machine. (For non-upgraded 8088/8086 machines, I've found that the DR-DOS Editor makes a suitable replacement; it's a little clutzy, but former WordStar users will feel right at home with its keystrokes!)

mAJORD
March 7th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Finally some progress!

I dragged out old Penitium box from outside and got it to boot up with NIC and un RSET.EXE..

It gave me the option to setup the card in 8 bit NE1000 mode.. that's a good start. I set 240H as address.

unfortunatly, it's STILL not finding a free IRQ when I run RSET with it installed in the XT :(

salamontagne
March 9th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Kudos!

I gave up on the WD/SMC ethernet card i have and have since gone with a Intel Pro/10 (16 bit) card in my friends XT...working like a charm now with microsoft client for ms-dos

I had mjor issues with IRQ's and the WD card not holding its config after a re-boot...Luckily, tho the intel board IS 16-bit, its fully backwards compatiable. If you have one lying around, give it a shot

EDIT: Note you'll still need to set it up on a 486 or faster pc as SOFTSET2.exe does not run on an 8088 :P

mAJORD
March 10th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Well, I now have an RTL8019AS with 10baseT (RJ45), and I think it's at least "working" in that the packet driver NE2000) seems to be reporting the correct MAC address..

far as iv'e gotten thoguh atm. Used NTCPDRV to configure TCP but i can't ping it, and Leetirc is not working :P. More things to sort out.

mAJORD
March 21st, 2010, 03:43 AM
sigh.. but fo an update for those interested. Still no joy on this machine.

I have ruled out phyisical issues with cards and cables.. If I install the Card in a 16bit slot on a newer machine, it works fine, I can ping it, and connect to servers on LeetIRC.. Great!

In the XT though.. just no joy.

I get the correct MAC address spat back at me from the NE2000 packet driver. but that's all. I load NTCPDRV, and can't ping the machine, nor connect to anything on leet.

I'm starting to think the NE2000 driver is causing issues in 8 bit. Does anyone know of a switch I should be using to ensure it knows I'm in 8 bit mode? I read something about an Atari driver having this issue.
Sorry about all the Questions on this issue.. I've just spent several weekends on this thing, trying to get it working.. I really really want it to work. IT's my final goal for this machine :)

TNC
March 21st, 2010, 04:39 AM
Please use the correct packet driver. A generic NE2000 driver never worked for me in any machine. The card will be correctly installed, but no bit will be transfered. You will find the driver under realtek.com.tw :)

mbbrutman
March 21st, 2010, 05:04 AM
I've been working with maJORD on the side.

I've been suspecting the packet driver as well. My code (mTCP) is able to talk to the packet driver, but it never receives any incoming packets - not even broadcast traffic. The chipset for his particular card says it works in an 8 or 16 bit slot, and it works when using other networking methods that don't involve the packet driver. But with the packet driver on an 8 bit bus it does not work.

maJORD - I'll send you the WATTCP FTP app sometime today. (I'm backed up on email, and I want to make sure I send a good known working app.)

I would look for a 3COM 3C503, a genuine NE1000, an Intel EtherExpress 8/16, or an older SMD/WD 8003 based card as an alternative.

-Mike

TNC
March 21st, 2010, 05:32 AM
I would look for a 3COM 3C503, a genuine NE1000, an Intel EtherExpress 8/16, or an older SMD/WD 8003 based card as an alternative.

Why? To avoid getting the correct packet driver? ;) These cards (I have a couple of them) really not bad and I've never experienced problems with them, exept with the "wrong" driver. :) This also happens in a pentium pc with windows 95.

Jorg
March 21st, 2010, 05:47 AM
I got the setup disk for this card, but couldn't attach it here (uploading part does not work).
/edit, ah, must have been too big.

pktd.sys attached.

mbbrutman
March 21st, 2010, 06:35 AM
Why? To avoid getting the correct packet driver? ;) These cards (I have a couple of them) really not bad and I've never experienced problems with them, exept with the "wrong" driver. :) This also happens in a pentium pc with windows 95.

Because I know they work and the correct packet driver is easy to find ...

TNC
March 21st, 2010, 08:15 AM
Because I know they work and the correct packet driver is easy to find ...

Same to this card. You just have to download the packet driver from the manufacturers site.

mbbrutman
March 21st, 2010, 08:42 AM
Same to this card. You just have to download the packet driver from the manufacturers site.

That's a pretty obvious solution to the problem. Don't you think we tried that?

Better yet, I'd like a nickel for every 'correct' packet driver that I have found for my cards that doesn't work.

Chuck(G)
March 21st, 2010, 12:43 PM
If the OP is interested, and if he's located in the USA, I might consider letting one of my Artisoft AE-2/T cards go. They do work in XTs (I've got one there now). There's also an AE-2 (10base2 and AUI, no 10baseT) on eBay for about 20 smackers.

For whatever it's worth. Lantastic setups were all over the place before the big boys got into networking. There should still be some of the cards kicking around.

mAJORD
March 22nd, 2010, 01:43 AM
Thanks again guys.

TnC has been helping me in PM also.. I got some WATTCP based app's as suggested, but didn't have much luck with them. Keen to try Mikes FTP.

Jorg: How do I configure IRQs and I/O with that driver?
Same for the Realtek one TnC is suggestiing.. I found this on it:

;RTL8019's OEMSETUP.INF File:

[netcard]
RTL8019="RealTek 8019 (REALPNP)",000,ndis,ethernet,real,rtl8019,rtl8019_nif

[rtl8019]
devdir=?:pnpnd.dos
device=pnpnd.dos,@devdir\pnpnd.dos

[rtl8019_nif]
drivername=PNPND$
param=NETADDRESS,"Network Address",chars,13,"@000000000000",0x02

param=ADAPTERID,"Adpater's ID(required if multi-8019 used).",chars,13,@000000000000,0x02

Looks fair enough for PnP, but don't know about the XT

mAJORD
April 8th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Hey Guys

bit of an update.. I bought another modded XT, and surprise surprise, Guess what I found inside it..

A 3COM Etherlink 3C501

Anyone had exp with this model on an XT? A recomendation for a 3C503 above.. hopefully they're very similar. Unfortunatly the HDD appears to be buggerd, which would have had the packet driver on it for sure ;(

carlsson
April 8th, 2010, 04:28 AM
I have no experience of the 3C501, but while browsing the subject previously I got the impression one should stay far away from it, and that a 3C503 is a much better choice than a '501. However your milage may vary and you find yourself satisfied with its operation.

I still have one supposedly NE-x000 compatible, 16-bit card that needs to be tested in my Victor XT clone. Since my first 16-bit NE compatible card worked out of the box after running the setup program to configure it in 8-bit mode, installing the proper packet driver and Mike's appplications, I never bothered to test the second one.

mbbrutman
April 8th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Oh g-d, the 3C501. One of the Linux networking how-tos says that if you find one of these cards you should remove it and burn it ... Let's just say that it is very limited.

For an XT it is probably fine.

glitch
April 8th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I wouldn't even use a 3c501 in an XT-class machine. I've had several, never got any of them working. The 3c503 is a fine card, though. The 3c501 is only useful as a historical curiosity.

You may not be missing out on a packet driver -- a lot of early networking software talked to only specific cards directly. In any case, good packet drivers are widely available for 3Com cards. There are a few 3c503s listed on eBay at the moment for reasonable prices (search "Etherlink II").

Here's a link to a BIN for NE1000 cards with TP connections:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NE1000-Compatible-ISA-Ethernet-RJ-45-BNC-AUI-Jumpers_W0QQitemZ280470778717QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414d5c735d

Marrr
April 8th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Packet drivers for NE1000, 3C501, 3C503, and many others are here: http://www.crynwr.com/drivers/pktd11.zip

mAJORD
April 9th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks guys for the replies.. I think I'll leave the 501 in a display cabinet or something haha

Disapointing though, I really thought I was going to win with this one

Marr. cheers for the link, I've already tried NE1000 and 2000 pkt drivers. They just won't fully work with the XT, only on a later class machine for some reason (driver appears to load MAC addr reporting good, TCP no workies) :(

glitch
April 9th, 2010, 05:14 AM
If your NE1000/NE2000 card works with a Crynwr packet driver on a new machine, it's not the XT's older, limited hardware that's defeating you. I use a Crynwr NE1000 driver regularly with my IBM XT and an 8-bit NE1000 with AUI.