PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft InPort

SunDown79
March 14th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I have two of these Microsoft InPort's and was wondering if anyone has any drivers and/or other software for it ? Would be nice to see if these cards still work.

nige the hippy
March 14th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Doesn't windows 3.11 support the inport mouse as standard? I might be wrong.

per
March 14th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Any standard mouse driver support In-port mices. Even the DOS ones, problably more recent ones too.

SunDown79
March 14th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Would like to use it under DOS (XT to be precise) and I thought about a standard driver but dont have any.
So does anyone have a potential usuable driver ?

Also, does anyone have a tool to read out used interrupts and stuff ? (so that I know the interrupt setting on the card will be ok).

per
March 14th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Would like to use it under DOS (XT to be precise) and I thought about a standard driver but dont have any.
So does anyone have a potential usuable driver ?

Also, does anyone have a tool to read out used interrupts and stuff ? (so that I know the interrupt setting on the card will be ok).

Any version of DOS after 4.00 got a driver, if I am correct. Most programs using the mouse also got one. If you don't got any of therse sources, you could allways search "mouse.com" on the internet.

About interrupts, you'll just have to check all the cards installed:
IRQ0 - Used for DMA refresh and are not availble on the bus.
IRQ1 - Used for keyboard input and are not availble on the bus.
IRQ2 - Unused, unless a "3rd-party" card uses it.
IRQ3 - Secondary serial-port.
IRQ4 - Primary serial-port.
IRQ5 - Fixed disk drive adapter
IRQ6 - Floppy disk drive adapter
IRQ7 - Parallel-port

IRQ 3,4 and 7 are free to use as long as you don't need to use the com-ports ascossiated with them. IRQ 2 is free, and IRQ 5 and 6 depends on what kind of storage you have installed. If you choose an interrupt, make sure no other 3rd party card uses it.

SunDown79
March 17th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Yeaaaah it works :)

After I :

1. Replaced the card with the floppy controller, which also had some COM ports (those created a conflict I think) with just a sort of standard floppy controller.
2. Put the jumper on the card from XT to AT (and yes, it really is a XT I am using...weird huh)
3. Started mouse.com (Microsoft Mouse driver)

The card doesn't show up as a COM port or anything btw.

per
March 18th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Yeaaaah it works :)

After I :

1. Replaced the card with the floppy controller, which also had some COM ports (those created a conflict I think) with just a sort of standard floppy controller.
2. Put the jumper on the card from XT to AT (and yes, it really is a XT I am using...weird huh)
3. Started mouse.com (Microsoft Mouse driver)

The card doesn't show up as a COM port or anything btw.

The XT jumper is actualy only to be used if the card is placed in slot 8 of the XT bus. Remember that slot requires special timing as it was designed to be used for the interface to the IBM 5161 expansion unit. "Normal" doesn't mean spesificly just AT, it means "not slot 8 of the XT".

What interrupt number do you use? Try to use IRQ2, as it should not conflict with anything standard.

SunDown79
March 18th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Aaah, learned something again, thanks Per!
I have been using IRQ2 and tried all the others and none of them did anything (than again, I might have changed several variables at once).

It doesn't really matter because this floppy controller is way better as it supports 4 drive's from 360k to 1.44mb and also has a fancy BIOS that shows what is configured when u startup.

per
March 18th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Aaah, learned something again, thanks Per!
I have been using IRQ2 and tried all the others and none of them did anything (than again, I might have changed several variables at once).

It doesn't really matter because this floppy controller is way better as it supports 4 drive's from 360k to 1.44mb and also has a fancy BIOS that shows what is configured when u startup.

It may also be that the mouse driver expect command-line parameters for other IRQ settings, unless it's 2 (I assume IRQ2 is default). The only way to know is to type "Mouse /?". However, if it does autodetect the IRQ, then there must be a conflict on anything else than IRQ2.

But as long as it works and you're happy with it, you don't really need to bother about the settings anymore.