PDA

View Full Version : rare prototypes on ebay

leaknoil
March 15th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I have nothing at all to do with this but, they are fun to look at and as cool as they are the starting prices are huge. It will be fun to watch if they go and what they go for.

http://shop.ebay.com/earlyapple/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

per
March 16th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Hey, that's the same guy with the Apple I.

It seems like the sellers were early employees of Apple. For some reason they have are selling off their stuff now. Most of the auctions have papers signed by other early apple-engineers about how geniue the items are (the papers for some of the more "cheaper" items are even signed by themselves).

gimechip
March 16th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Truly some beautiful hardware, I wonder if their Zero Feedback will adversely affect them? They might have garnered better bids by using an established seller ... of course there would have been the consignment fee. Still, I want to see what these go for. I didn't realize the Apple 1 allowed for the use of a 6800 instead of a 6502, but it's right there on the P.C.B.

Mac collector
March 21st, 2010, 10:23 PM
Wow I would love to have some of them! But alas I don't have that much cash to put out. Though it is quite interesting to see.

kvanderlaag
March 22nd, 2010, 09:47 PM
The PCB for the Apple I looks pretty haggard, to me. Looks like it would take an awful lot of work to make it functional again...but that's hardly the point of these things, now isn't it? If -I- had $30k burning a hole in my pocket, I'm crazy enough that I'd probably try to make it live again.

Alas, some day, I will own some nifty early Apple prototype.

willowmoon93
March 23rd, 2010, 03:37 AM
Truly some beautiful hardware, I wonder if their Zero Feedback will adversely affect them? They might have garnered better bids by using an established seller ... of course there would have been the consignment fee. Still, I want to see what these go for. I didn't realize the Apple 1 allowed for the use of a 6800 instead of a 6502, but it's right there on the P.C.B.

I think the zero feedback will definitely put off some potential bidders -- red flags abound! But who knows, maybe these auctions are legit.

per
March 23rd, 2010, 04:07 AM
I think the zero feedback will definitely put off some potential bidders -- red flags abound! But who knows, maybe these auctions are legit.

I actually think that they are serious. In my view, there is enough proof that all the items are actually sold by some brothers that were early employees at apple. They got too many unusual "behind-the-screne" items documented with pictures and text for this to be fake. Can you imagine someone trying to fake the employee phone-book from 1983, an invitation to an Apple employee happening in 1984, or the special multicoloured apple-sunglasses (and even break them)?

So I actually think that the sellers just never used Ebay before now.

Unknown_K
March 23rd, 2010, 04:08 AM
I think 0 feedback sellers would have issues selling commodity equipment, but for rarities with paperwork showing where they came from (and the seller being able to back that up) its no big deal. Maybe they think Apple is at its peak and it is a perfect time to cash in, or they need the money.

If they were 20 at the time the Apple 1 was sold they would be 54 now, can't hold onto things forever. Heck if I had one now I would sell it (and I don't part with anything) just for the reason it is worth a bunch of money and there is no software for it to be worth using even if it worked.

VintageComputerman
March 23rd, 2010, 06:44 AM
That Apple 1 has an opening bid at 30K!!! Someone bought it.

olePigeon
March 23rd, 2010, 07:48 AM
Man, if I was rich, I'd buy the whole lot. :P

If I had to choose an item, probably the prototype Newton Tablet (the one with the clear case) and the prototype PowerBook 2300c Duo Tablet.

VintageComputerman
March 24th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Well, looks like who ever was selling all that vintage computer stuff just retired!!! The Apple 1 ended up selling for over 42 K with 2 bids and all the other items sold at unbelievable highs and all during the worst recession since the great depression. What does that tell you about the worth of vintage computers and where prices are going to be in the future?

linuxlove
March 24th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Well, looks like who ever was selling all that vintage computer stuff just retired!!!

That is, if ePay didn't take most of the profit...

barythrin
March 24th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Well, more-so an if the buyer actually pays. I'm not sure how folks have deduced the outcome of some of the other outrageous priced auctions not getting paid but a few of the last software ones weren't from what I hear, although the Apple I now seems to be semi-legitimately a +$20,000 system.

Drken
March 25th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I went through the completed listings of earlyapple, and all of the Apple II items that sold for big bucks that I reviewed all went to the same one collector. So I don't think you can draw too many conclusions about the state of vintage computers based on what one individual who have more money than he/she knows what to do with is willing to shell out for these collectables.