PDA

View Full Version : Tandy 1000 to VGA - how can it be done?

tremoloman2006
March 28th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I have a Tandy 1000 SX which has output for an EGA monitor. I'd really like to hook this up to a modern VGA monitor but have no idea how to do so.

I purchased two EGA to VGA adapters but neither worked (one was strictly hardware based, the other a stand-alone device).

I could use the composite outputs but the quality is horrendous.

Any help you could provide would be most appreciated!

Best regards,
Trem

NsMn
March 28th, 2010, 08:12 AM
The 1000 SX should have ISA slots, doesn't it? If so, you can just add an 8-bit VGA card.

Besides, I'm sure the output is CGA, not EGA.

Raven
March 28th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Your Tandy 1000 has composite out? :O

Lucky.. I had to add a 8-bit VGA until I can find a CGA monitor, and yes, they're CGA. It's Technically PCjr compatible, but that's extended CGA, so unless you get a PCjr monitor and apps written for a PCjr or Tandy 1000 specifically it won't use the extensions (afaik).

I have a Tandy 1000 RL/HD.

tremoloman2006
March 28th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I used to own an EGA monitor for my original "Tandy 1000" (original release) so that's why I thought it was EGA.

Now that I know its enhanced CGA, are there any adapters that exist? I love the built-in enhanced Tandy graphics so if I'd love it if I could still use that as the output.

After your recommendations on getting an 8-bit VGA card I searched eBay and bought a "Video 7 VEGA Deluxe V2 VGA EGA CGA Mono 8-Bit ISA Card". $39.95 w/free shipping seemed fair to me. I'll give this puppy a shot once it comes in.

I keep beating myself to death thinking "why did I throw out that stuff in the early 90s? (Oh I'll never use that again... WRONG!)"

Thanks for the replies guys! I **REALLY** appreciate the help! :)

Raven
March 28th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Pretty badass choice of card, according to others here it's the only one more versatile than my card of choice, the Trident 8800CS - the only feature mine lacks is that it's 16-bit only I believe.

tremoloman2006
March 31st, 2010, 12:56 PM
I got the card and the output is a 7-pin connector. If I put a 7-15 connector on it, would it work on a modern VGA monitor?

NsMn
March 31st, 2010, 01:09 PM
7-Pin? I've never heard of that. Is it a usual D-Sub connector? Or do you maybe have a photo at hand?

vwestlife
March 31st, 2010, 04:43 PM
Turn off DIP switch 1 on the motherboard, and you can install a VGA (or EGA) card into a Tandy 1000SX. Of course, you will lose the enhanced Tandy CGA graphics modes, but 3-voice Tandy sound will still work.

For any question about upgrading a Tandy 1000, the Tandy 1000 FAQ is your bible:

http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog/1kfaq.html

tremoloman2006
April 2nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
Sorry... it's a 9-pin connector... I was tired and mistaken. I just assumed it was going to be the standard 15-pin VGA style.

mikey99
April 2nd, 2010, 09:24 PM
Sorry... it's a 9-pin connector... I was tired and mistaken. I just assumed it was going to be the standard 15-pin VGA style.

I think the Video 7 VEGA Deluxe is EGA , I found some info about the card here:

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/U-Z/VIDEO-SEVEN-EGA-V7-VEGA-DELUXE.html

I have a couple of those cards laying around somewhere. Will try to dig one out and take a closer look.
If it only has a 9 pin connector, thats used for CGA/EGA. VGA would need a 15 pin connector. If that was
advertised as a VGA card, you should definitely contact the seller.

k2x4b524[
April 2nd, 2010, 10:24 PM
it is mono/cga/ega, i have one.

And yes, that link is to the one i have, for what it is, i think it is a really good card.

mikey99
April 3rd, 2010, 07:41 PM
Turn off DIP switch 1 on the motherboard, and you can install a VGA (or EGA) card into a Tandy 1000SX. Of course, you will lose the enhanced

Today I pulled my Tandy 1000SX down off the shelf and tried a Paradise PVGA1A 8-bit VGA
card I had laying around. I turned dip switch 1 to the off position. The VGA card works fine in
the Tandy attached to a standard VGA monitor, an IBM 8513.

I didn't have time to test any CGA games, but I did try Deskmate and a few other apps
installed on the internal hard card and all worked fine.

tremoloman2006
April 10th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Today I pulled my Tandy 1000SX down off the shelf and tried a Paradise PVGA1A 8-bit VGA
card I had laying around. I turned dip switch 1 to the off position. The VGA card works fine in
the Tandy attached to a standard VGA monitor, an IBM 8513.

I didn't have time to test any CGA games, but I did try Deskmate and a few other apps
installed on the internal hard card and all worked fine.

Thanks for the information everyone... I'll give her a go tomorrow if/when I find that 9-to-15 pin adapter. :P

Still lookin'...