PDA

View Full Version : Do not do this

Raven
April 4th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I hooked a Trantor MiniSCSI adapter chained to a backpack 1.44MB floppy chained to a ZIP250 up to my Sr. Partner on DOS2.11, and trying to run the backpack driver caused the external HDD I had on the Trantor to fry itself and smoke went everywhere.

DO NOT DO THIS! :O

mbbrutman
April 4th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Sorry to hear it ...

Another word of caution here. A lot of those adapters for SCSI, floppy drives, Ethernet, Zip, etc. are designed to be used with just a printer on the pass-through port. The manuals explicitly warn about using other devices. I always assumed that it was for software reasons, but apparently there might be an electrical danger as well.

Chuck(G)
April 4th, 2010, 06:37 PM
One of the issues with chaining something other than a printer on an adapter connected to a printer port is that the adapter is expecting to see normal printer-like communication. That's not the case with the backpack drives or a parallel-port ZIP drive--they have their own un-printer-like protocol to keep from activating an attached printer.

Bottom line is that toes get stepped on sometimes with terrible results.

Raven
April 4th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Oddly I've chained stuff like crazy on other machines before. I had two Backpack Floppies, a Disney Sound Source, and a SCSI HDD on the Trantor on a 486 laptop once, all working fine.. Maybe the key there is to put the Trantor SCSI controller on the end. :P

modem7
April 4th, 2010, 07:00 PM
It could be just coincidental with a component that was going to fail anyway. Only a few days ago, a tantalum in a 'WD Caviar 280' IDE drive exploded on me (tantalum photo #3 of 3 at http://members.dodo.com.au/~slappanel555/failure.htm) when I connected the drive to this forum's XT-IDE card.

Raven
April 4th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Well considering I hadn't used that drive enclosure or drive, it was sitting in a stack of mostly-untested ones, it's well possible. Either way I'm going to stick the Trantor on the end of my chains from now on - no reason not to.