PDA

View Full Version : TSX-Plus

Proculopsis
April 5th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I contacted Phil Sherrod, the principal author of TSX-Plus at S & H for the current status of this operating system. Sadly yet predictably, he informs me that there are no backups of the operating system or any distribution kits available.

This was quite a successful multi-user extension to RT-11, some 25 years ago and it would be a shame to let it fade away into history.

I am thinking of bulding a showcase version to be run on the SIMH emulator, so I am looking for anyone who still has access to a TSX-Plus distribution kit.

Lou - N2MIY
April 5th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Since I like RT-11 and was somewhat amused when I got MU Basic running (four terminals plus the console running basic under RT-11), I looked into TSX. It seems that the gentleman who has what there is to be had is Lyle Bickley. Search the cctalk archives for TSX and you will see his 2007 post. I never looked into it further (I have a ton of other hardware projects.) Perhaps you should try to get in touch with Lyle.

Lou

andrew_w
May 23rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
I think that there are install images for TSX-Plus 5.1 here (http://www.rsts.org/autoindex.php?dir=distros/RT51/). It says RT-11 5.1 there, but one of the archives also contains TSX-Plus 5.1. There are also install images for TSX-Plus 6.1 here (http://pdp-11.ru/mybk/pdp11/). I have installed the TSX-Plus 5.1 images, but I haven't gotten around to installing the 6.1 images yet, so I'm not sure if they actually work.

kawsir987
June 4th, 2010, 07:04 AM
The software included a WP package named Lex-11 and a spreadsheet from Saturn Software. The machine slowed considerably if more than 8 students wanted to use the word-processing package at the same time. There was also a decision-table language called "D" from the NCC in Manchester which worked very well on TSX Plus.

The system was popular in the 1980s, although had a major number of clones. The latest version of TSX-Plus has TCP/IP support. The system is still in use and supported.

nigwil
June 5th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Since I like RT-11 and was somewhat amused when I got MU Basic running (four terminals plus the console running basic under RT-11)Lou
Hi Lou,
I tried to get MU-BASIC 2.1 running on SIMH without success (working without documentation though) - do you have any notes or suggestions? It seems to start installing on E-11 but still misbehaves

thanks.

Lou - N2MIY
June 5th, 2010, 04:52 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by install. There isn't really much to install, you just run it under RT-11. There is a version for the XM monitor (what I run), and one for the SJ/FB monitor. Sadly, the documentation for V2.1 is not online (and I don't have it). I figured out what I did from the V1 documentation. The only cryptic part is the configuration file.

I'm running it on real hardware (11/73), not an emulator, under RT-11XM V5.03 sysgenned for multiterminal operation. Does SIMH simulate the DZ11 for multiterminal operation?

Lou

nigwil
June 5th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Thanks, you've given me a clue to check: SYSGEN-ed RT11 with DZ11 support might be important as a pre-requisite.

Yes SIMH has support for DZ11. My real hardware (11/93) is still being cabled :-)