PDA

View Full Version : 286 win 3.1 networked to Vista

framer
April 10th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Yippie, I got my True Blue 5170 talking to my Vista machine. The 286 has Win 3.1 in standard mode and DOS MS lan manager 2.1 basic. I had to list the Vista machine in the HOSTS file on the 286. Also I needed to turn on the guest account in Vista as the password was not being decoded correctly. I then had to add the guest account to the shared directory on the Vista Machine. Bingo I can now copy files from the Vista computer into my 286.

This only kill about 4 hour to get this working...

Must be a bad TV night, 6000 channels of nothing.

framer

lutiana
April 10th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Sweet!

Now get it talking to a Server 2003 machine :D

Chuck(G)
April 10th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I wonder if Linux Samba would talk to your Win 3.1 network. Anyone tried it? It should, in theory.

framer
April 10th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I'm sure it would. I've been using Linux Samba for 7 - 8 years at work.

Raven
April 10th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Samba has trouble with Vista/Win7 (unless they've updated it heavily since I last tried), but works fine with all older versions, including Win3x. The reason Win3x has trouble out of the box with the newer machines is that they use new and updated login methods. It's much easier to log into the old machine using the new one if you don't want to fiddle with stripping down the security, or use a non-SMB sharing method (like FTP, HTTP, Sneakernet xD).. Basically since the new machines are backwards compatible as a client, but not as a server, you can always use an older machine as a server with less hassle than the other way around - though both are possible with some tweaking and modification of settings, etc., as you've seen.

Anywho the oldest I've hooked up is Win3.11FW->Win7, bout the same gap, welcome to the club. :D

The upside to Win3.11FW is that it was supported until the 2000s, so it's a tad more up-to-date than LAN Manager. NT6 is trouble because they heavily revamped the protocol (also the reason for Samba's past trouble with it).

framer
April 11th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I was using plain original win 3.1 not the WFW on the 286. I don't think WFW will run on a 286 as it needs enhanced mode amongst other things it uses that won't run on a 286. That why I use a dos lan manager. Just getting win3.1 running on the 286 was a chore.

framer

Raven
April 11th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Yes you're correct. That's why they made Windows 3.1 for Workgroups though (as opposed to 3.11) iirc, so it could have the network features without the requirement for 386Enh mode. Anywho you've already got that up and running so no need to change it now. :)

glitch
April 11th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I used to use the MS-DOS LAN Manager to grab files off my Linux server from my IBM PC-XT...slow but effective, and better than floppy disks!

Samba does work fine with any version of LanMan/Windows, it's just a matter of configuring it properly. It even supports the new CIFS standard (as opposed to SMB), which is fully compatible with Vista/7. Enabling CIFS or the enhanced SMB features breaks compatibility with anything below Windows 98, as does enabling some of the password encrypting features. I think some of the case sensitivity/filename lengths breaks pre-Win98 compatbility too.

framer
April 11th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Yes you're correct. That's why they made Windows 3.1 for Workgroups though (as opposed to 3.11) iirc, so it could have the network features without the requirement for 386Enh mode. Anywho you've already got that up and running so no need to change it now. :)

Let me clear something up. Windows 3.1 for workgroups can run an a 286 with networking without using 386Enh mode? If that is true I was not aware of that.

framer

vwestlife
April 11th, 2010, 12:20 PM
You can also get plain DOS to be accessible from a Windows network if you install the appropriate Microsoft Workgroup drivers. I got such an arrangement running years ago, however I found that the DOS machine would often lock up when accessing large files on a Windows machine.

Ironically I now have the opposite problem with a Windows 98SE machine on my network: when I use an XP machine to read large files from the 98 machine's hard drive, the 98 machine will often crash with a BSOD, or sometimes even spontaneously reboot. However, if I sit down at the 98 machine and use it to copy files over to the XP machine, then all goes well.