PDA

View Full Version : building up a small collection of NES games, any suggestions?

per
April 13th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I have an PAL-B NES with a four-score, 4 controllers, one zapper, and 2 game-cartridges; SMB/DuckHunt and SMB3. As you may understand, duckhunt won't work on LCD or Plasma televisions, and SMB/SMB3 may get a little monotonous after a while.

Because of that, I have decided to build up a small collection of NES games from a wide range of genres. I have over the last few days gone over some of the Europeian Ebay sites (mostly the French one) in a search for games at a reasonable price. As a result, I have bought quite a lot of games, and I would personally say that the small collection is almost complete by now.

I will just say here, that I do like to keep the unit in it's original state, and I will not under any circumstances mod my NES to be region-free.

Here is my curent game-list (alphabetically):

Battletoads
Boulder Dash
Ice Hockey
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
(The) Legend of Zelda
Marble Madness
Metroid
Nintendo World Cup
R.C. Pro-Am: 32 Tracks of Racing Thrills
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tetris
Top Gun
Top Gun: The Second Mission

(the reason I bought most of them from France is because Nintendo cartridges from France used the label-design from the US cartridges, while cartridges from most of the rest of Europe used it's own label-design. I simply like the US label-designs best.)

I've spent an average $15 per cartridge, when I include the shipping costs, but only $9.5 if exluding shipping costs (the difference is mainly due to just one of the sellers, in fact). Both of therse falls within my maximum limit of $16 per cartridge, but I know I've been buying on slight overprice. The reason is that I would rather buy on slight overprice instead of ending up with a lot of NTSC cartridges that won't work in my unit (going for the cheapest ones), or a lot of games I really don't want to play (going for lots).

There is curently only one game I have on my wishlist, and that is wrecking crew. I also keep a slight lookout for R.C. Pro-Am II, as I've been told that it's in fact possible to beat the CPU in that version (and it's also supporting the four-score).

----------

So, the main reason why I made this thread is to ask if I missed out any great game which can be considered a "must have".

ahm
April 13th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Bubble Bubble, Kirby's Adventure, Micro Machines, Pin-Bot

Keen Anthony
April 13th, 2010, 08:06 PM
A few excellent arcade ports: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, Gauntlet, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Spy Hunter.

Then there's a couple of "the one that started it all" titles: Final Fantasy, Contra, Super C (Contra), Metal Gear, Ninja Gaiden.

Some good original titles: Blaster Master, Gradius, Blades of Steal

Raven
April 14th, 2010, 07:18 AM
From my NES-Games-I-Love section of my collection (excluding those already mentioned):

- Dragon Warrior
- Pipe Dream
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
- Kung Fu (it's quite old, Atari-esque simplicity)
- Megaman 3 (I just happen to only have this one - all Megaman games are good)
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (the weird one - it doesn't feel like Mario [for good reason] but it's still fun)
- Tetris (The unlicensed Tengen [Atari] version - it has multiplayer and some other nice features)
- Super C (Contra series)
- Life Force
- Abadox (Haven't gotten around to playing this, but I have it and it looks good - similar to life force)

Oh, and I don't have it on NES, but the original Castlevania is good too.

Maverick1978
April 14th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I've a large console collection, but the NES is probably nearest and dearest to my heart, as it was my first "serious" system. All of the above suggestions, along with your games, would comprise my must-have collection. The only additions I would make are Final Fantasy series (if you're an RPG fan), Little League Baseball (HTF but a great game), The Adventures of Bayou Billy (great platformer), Bubble Bobble, and Adventure Island 1 & 2. Get these, and I would personally say you have a very concise, rounded NES collection.

As far as modding the PAL NES to play NTSC games, you could easily do so (cut the 4th pin on one of the chips - forget which one). Problem would come in at the processor speed, which could affect playability on some titles. The PAL NES used a different chip that ran at 1.66mhz, whereas the US NES used a chip that ran at 1.79mhz - so any NTSC games running on a modded PAL NES would run more slowly than intended.

barythrin
April 14th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Perhaps Double Dragon (kind of a cult classic) and ironically someone mentioned Zelda II but the original Zelda would be my pick although I never got to play it (a friend took the don't share this with anyone commercial a bit too seriously. Maybe even Mike Tyson's Punch Out lol since almost everyone can remember the secret spots to punch half of those characters even today. Here's an interesting list (not all vintage*) but I read through it from a friend at the local pizza shop one day when this issue of Game Informer which had the top 200 games of their time (http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=105214). I tried to find an official link but I guess that's not public (too bad as they had write ups on some of the games which were entertaining reads). In my searching it appears 1up.com also came out with their own (comments imply console only) list of their top 200 game picks (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3147448). Maybe that'll refresh some memories.

per
April 14th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks for all replies. I bought a few games today, and I have now decided that I have all the games I need for now.

The three games I bough are:

bubble bobble
Kirby's Adventure (At 6 Mbit, wasn't that the largest NES-game in the west?)
Gradius

I'm still looking for Wrecking crew though, but I could not find it for a reasonable price right now.

You may wonder why I've left out many of the good 1st person shooter/figthing games. That's because I don't like those genres, and I don't want to pay for something I won't use.

About modding the 10NES chip, I have stated above that I'll never do it. I don't intend to use anything but PAL-B cartridges in it anyways.