PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for testing a Soundblaster CT1350B in an IBM 5150?

interalia
April 16th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Hi

I have put an an SB 2.0 in my 5150. I didn't come with any software but I have set the BLASTER variable to A220 I5 D1 P330 T2. (The card is jumpered to 5 and 220H and I don't have an HD or parallel port in the PC)

Anyone got any test software ( or a game perhaps?) that will run on a FD only PC with a Tseng Labs 4000 VGA in it so I can test the SB?

Regards

Neil

mikey99
April 16th, 2010, 05:36 AM
There's a utility on the SB diskettes called TEST-SBC.EXE. A quick Google search didn't find a download
site but you might try searching for the SB diskette images. I have the diskettes and can create a zip of
all the files if you can't find it.

mikey99
April 16th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Did a little more searching and found this site with the drivers :

http://ftp.lakesoft.net/ftp/drivers/audio/sblaster/sound%20blaster%202.0%20installation%20disks/

interalia
April 16th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the link that was just what was required.

Downloaded the set of Soundblaster 2.0 disks you found and it all seems to work. I fired up FMORGAN and it time-warped me back to the moment in 1991 (I think) when I had just installed a newly released SB Pro in my home made 386DX. I had never heard a PC make anything but a squeak before.

I was so excited then and even now I felt a reflection of that same excitement echo down the almost twenty years that has now passed.

It's sacrilegious to admit to this but that same home built machine was in a fact an XT 5160 case that I had got for nothing and gutted discarding the 'useless' original MB, hard disk, PSU, Floppy and video!

I did though make it look sort of original by in the left bay using a black half height 1.2Mb and black blanking plate that the half height HD was behind. In the right hand bay I kept the original full height HD cover and wired the light on the new disk to flash on the full height IBM panel. Yea I know but it was the first machine I had built!

Regards

Neil (with a tear in his eye)

Surrey,UK

mikey99
April 16th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I also take a trip back in time whenever I run some old software... :-)

I purchased a SB 1.5 back around 1990 or so, think I paid about $150 for it at the time.
I remember being utterly amazed at the sounds coming from my PC when I first installed
the card. The music and voice from the TEST-SBC.EXE are what I remember the most.

Please post a list of any games you find that run on the 5150 with SB support.