PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5152 Printer

Ioncannon
April 16th, 2010, 11:45 AM
So was at my local thrift store and found a IBM 5152 printer. Thought, hey it sounds like something for the 5150 and grabbed it. They made me pay for the freaking cable extra! *Shakes fist*. Anyway went by a Staples Depot, grabbed some dot matrix paper, and headed home. First thing it does is beep loudly at me (my ears!) due to no paper. Loaded it up, connected it to my old DOS comp, and it worked! Ribbon actually still had some ink left on it, and I was able to print the MS-DOS readme file lol. Anyway:

-Whats the difference between two piece and three piece paper?
-I can't seem to find any info on the printer, was it actually for the 5150? What year was it made?

Raven
April 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM
It's for the 5150, if i recall. If you note the model numbers, 5150=PC, 5151=Monitor, 5152=Printer, 5153=Color (CGA) Monitor. That suggests they were released in rapid succession. It's also the official rinter for the PCjr, I think. I could be wrong on any of this, as I'm not an expert on that early of machines, though.

Nice find.

Ioncannon
April 16th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Yea, thats what I was going by. Only problem I have with it is someone took a few of the bottom screws and it smells really weird. Probably will have to clean the internals out.

Added:

Also recently won a IBM 5155. Sadly I do not have a copy of DOS to boot it. I have a whole stack of Commodore 64 floppies, would they be formattable to a FAT format and have a DOS disk image written?

Now I have to find a 5150 and 5152 >.>. Almost had one but someone beat my bid =\

strollin
April 16th, 2010, 04:50 PM
The 5152 was also known as the IBM Graphics printer. It was a rebadged Epson (MX-80?) It was a dot matrix printer that was parallel port attach. It was not the same printer as the PCjr Compact printer which used thermal paper (no ink ribbon) and was attached via the serial port.

I had a 5152 as my first printer, the thing I remember about it is how loud it was. Brrrrrrrrrrrrp as it printed across the page. Here's a link to a YouTube video of someone using the 5152 attached to an XT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftM3OdZ_obY

Raven
April 16th, 2010, 04:58 PM
OK so I'm brazenly wrong about the PCjr thing, but the rest of my info is good. :D

I happen to have the original Guide to Operations for a 5155 I don't own (no pages in it, unfortunately) which came with a disk.. "Exploring the IBM Portable Personal Computer". I'd sell ya it if you're interested. And yes, C64 floppies are the same as IBM 360K, just format it in a PC. Take care to format as /f:360 (or use special switches if you're on a newer OS /n and /t or somethin').

Ioncannon
April 17th, 2010, 09:39 AM
wait so it's just the cover?