PDA

View Full Version : How to utilize a Sonnet Presto LC CPU-"accelerator"?

ajcc
April 30th, 2010, 12:43 AM
It's a LC update, that is a PDS card with a XC68LC040RC33B (clocked @ 25MHz though). On the board also have some sort of address decoding or bus interface: 4x octal buffers (tri-state), 2x octal flip-flops (tri-state), 1x octal line buffer (tri-state), 1x octal identity comparator (looks like an 8-to-1 thinngy to me, or maybe the reverse) and there's also a Xilinx XC3030-100 logic array (damn!)

So there's no ram :(, and some quite advanced logic (if that's what's lurking inside the Xilinx).
And how do I know if it's working or not? Is it just as in the PC world, that you run a benchmark before and after and then try to imagine actually being able to run your computer that many times faster?

Unknown_K
April 30th, 2010, 06:30 AM
You need software to get it to do anything once installed. I asume that is the original Sonnet Presto? I have the Presto plus which includes ethernet and 32MB RAM in an LC 550. www.sonnettech.com should have the original presto software. http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=394&expand=_a3&action=b436#b436

It says Presto + but it is for the original Presto, I had to get their tech support to email me the correct presto plus software (if anyone eneds it ask).

ajcc
April 30th, 2010, 12:34 PM
You need software to get it to do anything once installed. I asume that is the original Sonnet Presto? I have the Presto plus which includes ethernet and 32MB RAM in an LC 550. www.sonnettech.com should have the original presto software. http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=394&expand=_a3&action=b436#b436

It says Presto + but it is for the original Presto, I had to get their tech support to email me the correct presto plus software (if anyone eneds it ask).

I asked them too, and they said that they had nothing left for it, no driver or manual. I don't know if the Presto LC is the original Presto or not. But I'll give that driver a test run in the weekend and see if I can get any confirmation on if it's running.

ajcc
May 3rd, 2010, 07:43 AM
Ok, the driver to loads at boot, but there's no new info in "About this Macintosh" (maybe it shouldn't? since there's no extra RAM). I don't know my way around System 7, so I'm a bit lost now.

Unknown_K
May 3rd, 2010, 08:27 AM
There should be a control panel installed that will turn the controller on/off, so look there.