PDA

View Full Version : No one can screw you over like your buddy.

rayzer
May 6th, 2010, 01:26 AM
About a month ago, I was sitting here, digging around on ebay, when a certain relative stopped by. Feeling chatty, I began to explain the workings of a caching controller card I had been pricing. After about 5 seconds, he started getting a blank look on his face, so I switched gears, joking about how some sellers were trying to get 100+ dollars for a card. Perking up, he asked if I was selling them, to which I replied, "Hell, no!"

Fast forward to a few weeks later, I go to round up all my best controllers, and to my surprise, 2 of my 5 matching controller cards are missing. After two days of searching and re-searching, and an ever increasing slew of profanities, I had no choice but to accept that they had indeed grown legs and walked off. Heading for the car, hell bent on stomping someone's guts out, I was intercepted by my better half, who offered to replace them in order to save the aforementioned (her) relative's hide. After much discussion and yet another slew of profanities, I was eventually persuaded to forego my natural tendency to throttle anyone stupid enough to gank my stuff. However, I refused the money, telling her that it wasn't right to make her pay for someone else's mistakes, and besides, it really wasn't about the money, it's a matter of respect.

The lesson here is twofold:

1. Never tell anyone that your prized possessions may be valuable, you will just be inviting temptation. Let them think it's a pile of junk.

2. Never leave anyone alone in your computer room, ever. Even if you are about to piss yourself.

By the way, if anyone happens to find someone trying to sell a couple of buslogic bt-410a controllers (they are silkscreened bt but are actually kt with a third ide port) located in illinois, let me know. I would love to see the look on his face when I show up at his house to pick them up.

Just in case some of you may be wondering why I haven't called the cops, I find that involving the law in these kind of situations just draws unwanted attention, and rarely gets results. No offense intended to any officers, just being honest. Besides, I'm sure they have far more important things to deal with, other than a couple missing cards.

carlsson
May 6th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Bad luck! For his sake, I hope he never goes to an exhibition where someone would display something rare. It could get ugly if he is found pilfering someone else's table while he thinks nobody is looking. Then again, that might be a sign of disease - kleptomania - if it a reoccuring action.

I have never been worried about leaving some of my collector friends in my home while running a short errand. While they know what is valuable and not, they know taking something without allowing would end our friendship for good if found out. However I've been exhibiting at vintage computer fairs and been a little reluctant to bring certain pieces. One isn't standing next to your table all of the time, and I'd hate to see anything small but valuable missing afterwards. On the other hand it seems to happen very infrequently. In the past five years of running, I've only heard about a few game cartridges that could not be traced after the event was closed.

barythrin
May 6th, 2010, 08:13 AM
That sucks. I'm a very bad example but have been burned by folks plenty of times taking stuff when over so I've always kinda closed off people from being near the stuff and/or being at my place. I guess it sucks and the only problem I have now adays is the better half inviting people to the house which I always get nervous. Like I said I'm sure it's something one is not supposed to worry or think about so bad example on my part but yeah I've had that happen a disappointing number of times with "friends".

Chuck(G)
May 6th, 2010, 08:50 AM
This is not a "buddy"--it's a relative, which poses a problem of its own not encountered with "buddies".

I hope you made it clear to your better half that this relative isn't welcome in your house any longer. You should also ask very bluntly if the relative has a substance abuse problem. I've seen people destroyed by relatives' pilfering.

Tetrium
May 6th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't let anyone back into my house if I found out they were stealing. Relative or not, my house, my rules, rule #1 = no taking stuff that's not yours.
I'd be seriously pissed if I found out one of my mates was first lying his way into my attic, then secretly stealing stuff I might've searched for for who knows how long.
Anyone stealing from me gets the boot.

I like your 2 rules, they are so true when it comes to people I don't fully trust

rayzer
May 6th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I have no doubt that he will hang himself eventually. Most kleptos do. I knew this guy would snag the occasional cigarette or beer, which I found odd, because he was welcome to them anyway, but I never thought would ignorant or stupid enough to try grabbing something like that. He has known me for the past 10 years, he knows I'm not stupid. Apparently he thinks I'm not going to do anything about it, or am too myopic to notice. Which also stuns me, because he saw them haul off the last guy that pissed me off in an ambulance. By the way, I really didn't hurt the guy in the ambulance, he might have been knocked out for brief second, but he was just playing possum for his mommy. Drama queens! Probably why I didn't get charged with anything, I was within my rights, and the cops thought it was funny this six foot four punk got his ass whipped by a little five foot four hillbilly. Ain't us short guys just some of the meanest sons of bitches?

carlsson
May 6th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Besides even if that controller card is valuable, it won't be easy to sell if that is his intention. It is not the kind of item you can sell at a local flea market and expect to get big money. Perhaps at a vintage computer fair, but then again you have warned people. Online auction sites like eBay yes, but it would bring your and other people's attention. Then again I don't understand how a sick person is reasoning. If it had been a piece of jewellry or something similar which has a steady market value that most people recognize, yes.

Tetrium
May 6th, 2010, 11:43 AM
The problem is, you don't know for sure.

If I were in your position, I'd also think he was the one who took it. But accusing someone and later finding out he REALY had nothing to do with it would be very painfull. Let alone if he were stealing things from you but just-not-that-1-time, it might prove even harder to catch him red-handed (or hang hidden cameras or whatsnot)
I'n my case, 9 out of 10 times it was me who misplaced some item and completely forgot I put it there. Then again, I'm totally chaotic. Being as chaotic as I am is both a blessing and a curse.

Nowdays I'm realy carefull who to trust and I know my mates wouldn't steal those items from me.

Edit:

Besides even if that controller card is valuable, it won't be easy to sell if that is his intention. It is not the kind of item you can sell at a local flea market and expect to get big money. Perhaps at a vintage computer fair, but then again you have warned people. Online auction sites like eBay yes, but it would bring your and other people's attention. Then again I don't understand how a sick person is reasoning. If it had been a piece of jewellry or something similar which has a steady market value that most people recognize, yes.

The worst part is, theres a good chance that, if he's realy that sick, he'll find out about it's unsellability and will rather choose to dump those treasured items in a trashcan in some anonymous park then to give it back and face the pain of being confronted with his kleptomania

rayzer
May 6th, 2010, 12:09 PM
This is not a "buddy"--it's a relative, which poses a problem of its own not encountered with "buddies".

I hope you made it clear to your better half that this relative isn't welcome in your house any longer. You should also ask very bluntly if the relative has a substance abuse problem. I've seen people destroyed by relatives' pilfering.

Since I've moved here, I have no family of my own around so I've taken to helping out hers, doing work around thier houses and such for free. However it seems, unlike where I grew up, in the mountains, family around here doesn't seem to stick together as much. Naturally, I don't want him around any more, but neither can I deny my dearest her relationship with her brother, so things are not quite that clear-cut and simple. Bluntly? Blunt for me started at birth. And the whole "dope made me do it" cop-out holds no weight with me whatsoever. Sorry if you are all into that 12 step BS. There's only one step, and that's if and when whoever it is decides it's time to quit. No, I think I'll just let old fashioned justice prevail. I'll play nice, catch him in the act, and send him home missing a few teeth. It may be a lesson that saves his life one day.

barythrin
May 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Depending on what you need the good part is there are REALLY cheap ways to set up even just a USB webcam to take a shot anytime it sees movement (i.e. the picture doesn't match the last picture). A friend used this before also to find out who kept screwing with his car. Eventually he rigged a wireless camera inside his car which saved the pictures to his server which he had a webpage to monitor. Maybe overkill but the good part is the technology is fairly cheap although it's more of a waiting game. Certainly my condolences though and I understand and agree with most of the comments here. It also sucks and I HAVE had the occasional misplacement of objects which I assumed (pretty practically) that someone with a substance abuse problem took to pawn. However the aforementioned "friends" and others who stole that was mostly first hand finding the items at their place or having another friend who let me know. Haven't had those problems for many many years (let's face it .. it was mostly highschool brats with the problem) but I've always kept my circle of friends/trust very small. It takes me quite a long time to know someone before I leave anyone in the house alone. I had to point out to the lady after testing a few friendships (and backfiring) at the house that there are people I've known for 5 years who don't know where I live. Kinda one of those safety points.. unless they log on here..or sold me something. then.. oh man. PMs moderator j/k

rayzer
May 6th, 2010, 12:35 PM
The problem is, you don't know for sure.

If I were in your position, I'd also think he was the one who took it. But accusing someone and later finding out he REALY had nothing to do with it would be very painfull. Let alone if he were stealing things from you but just-not-that-1-time, it might prove even harder to catch him red-handed (or hang hidden cameras or whatsnot)
I'n my case, 9 out of 10 times it was me who misplaced some item and completely forgot I put it there. Then again, I'm totally chaotic. Being as chaotic as I am is both a blessing and a curse.

Nowdays I'm realy carefull who to trust and I know my mates wouldn't steal those items from me.

Edit:

The worst part is, theres a good chance that, if he's realy that sick, he'll find out about it's unsellability and will rather choose to dump those treasured items in a trashcan in some anonymous park then to give it back and face the pain of being confronted with his kleptomania

I did not want to believe it myself, which is why I spent two days going through everything I own with a fine tooth comb, over and over again, but at some point, you just have to face the facts, even though you do not want to accept them. I would not make accusations without being 100% sure. I, too am chaotic, but there is a semi-organization to the mess, and I know where they were last because I'm always playing around with them. And only people that have ever been in there have been him and and his friend he had with him. And yes, one could argue that the friend did it, but seeing as he was down there with his friend the whole time, he would have seen him do it. Add to this, the fact that neither of them know squat about computers, and the fact that I had just recently told this guy about them, he's the only one that knew that that particular card might be valuable. And to top it all off, there were smaller and more valuable components lying around, but the only things missing were the very cards I had shown him. Call me impulsive if you will, but that's proof enough for me.

Chuck(G)
May 6th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Since I've moved here, I have no family of my own around so I've taken to helping out hers, doing work around thier houses and such for free. However it seems, unlike where I grew up, in the mountains, family around here doesn't seem to stick together as much. Naturally, I don't want him around any more, but neither can I deny my dearest her relationship with her brother, so things are not quite that clear-cut and simple. Bluntly? Blunt for me started at birth. And the whole "dope made me do it" cop-out holds no weight with me whatsoever. Sorry if you are all into that 12 step BS. There's only one step, and that's if and when whoever it is decides it's time to quit. No, I think I'll just let old fashioned justice prevail. I'll play nice, catch him in the act, and send him home missing a few teeth. It may be a lesson that saves his life one day.

I understand--you inherit the relatives in a relationship.

May I suggest that you equip the room that your collection is in with a good lock--a deadbolt that is keyed from the outside should do.

barythrin
May 6th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Actually this almost ties into the occasional post on insuring your collection/systems. After a certain point (lots of work.. blech) it's a good idea to start documenting the value (for yourself) of systems, inventorying them with serial number **this is about the only good chance you have to find it if it's stolen), and pictures (so we can all see how cool your stuff looks j/k) for your own notes. I don't want to hijack the thread with that.. we've had this conversation before of someone finds it but it may be a good idea if you're having theft issues to start on that project :-)

Tetrium
May 6th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I think it would be easier to just have that lock. I wouldn't want to put serial codes on all my CPU's, all my bars of RAM....heck, all my SRAM chips??? Serial number all of em?
I hope I'm wrong lol! :P

Unknown_K
May 6th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Pictures are good for no other reason then after years of hoarding (I mean collecting) you tend to forget what you have anymore. I don't think insuring a collection as a whole is worth the trouble, but individual pieces that are worth more then say $5000 might be worth doing. Documenting the collection will help in case of a home break in and should be covered under home insurance (up to whatever amount you have for belongings), but they will give you grief on "rarities" so you should insure those seperate as I stated before.

I learned early in life when a grade school friend stole my brothers gold cross from his room that you should never leave valuable items in plain site to tempt people (it was found in plain site after that friend came back to help search). Outside of a few websites and people associated with them nobody knows I collect computers, my collection is in a place few will go to ( locked basement) and all the windows are glass block to keep snoops from seing in. Same with any other valuable, don't make a fuss about it and nobody will be tempted to take it.

rayzer
May 6th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I understand--you inherit the relatives in a relationship.

May I suggest that you equip the room that your collection is in with a good lock--a deadbolt that is keyed from the outside should do.

A lock was the best solution that we could come with as well, as one of the conditions to her brothers being allowed back in the house(eventually). I forgot to mention that. The newly installed lock should make it obvious the cats out of the bag. Excellent suggestion.

rayzer
May 6th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I've finally begun to cool off a little now, and starting to think a bit more clearly, going off on this guy will not get my stuff back, or teach him anything. The end result would only be a backlash from the family directed at my old lady and I, for roughing up their favored son. Looks like I'm going to have to grit my teeth and let this one slide, in order to keep the peace. I think he suspects we know, he's been avoiding us like the plague. It's too bad this had to happen right after I joined this forum, I've probably already given some people the impression I'm a raving lunatic. I'm actually pretty laid-back most of the time, once every few years or so something like this happens and my patience gives out, sending me off the deep end. Thanks to everyone for commenting, and listening to me bitch. Please forgive me if my manners have not been exactly stellar the past few days, my nerves are shot! Normally, I would not air such dirty laundry online, but I figured a few extra eyes on the auction sites might have a one in a million shot of turning these items up. At the very least I wanted to give the people here a heads up that there may be some hot cards floating around.

barythrin
May 7th, 2010, 07:29 AM
No biggie, it read pretty easily that you were still pretty heated over it but you got to vent so that's cool and your posts were getting calmer throughout. When caught in the moment it sucks. You could still get the law involved but yeah it's a PITA and more accusatory and not solid evidence so they probably wouldn't do anything. Obviously it's a shame but who knows, maybe a bait game or guilt game might get it back. Depends on the type of person to know whether or not asking if they remember seeing it somewhere and maybe they could find it if it accidentally fell in a box they were messing and they can pretend to laugh it off as a mistake. Locks are a good and quick fix idea.

channelmaniac
May 7th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Wouldn't hurt to ask them to come over and help you look for it... Give the person a way to save face and return what is missing. ;)

You could even put up a couple of tiny web cams to catch 'em putting it back. A bit of evidence after the fact will prove to the wife that her brother is a thief. Simply erase the video when done to let everyone live in harmony - yet keep the double-keyed deadbolt on the door.

digger
May 8th, 2010, 02:42 AM
You imply that you are angry with yourself trusting a relative. That is unnecessary. You should be able to trust your relatives. When he (apparently) betrayed that trust, the mistake was his, not yours.

If you're sure he took it, go visit him along with your wife/girlfriend, and ask it back. Tell him that it wasn't his to take, and that you're giving him a chance to correct his mistake so you can both put it behind you. If he refuses, tell him not to come visit you until he sets this right, and that it's not because of the money (as you said), but because you simply won't be able to trust him now.

Seriously though, I could never imagine any of my relatives (on either side) pulling something like that. Over the years, I've come to realize that what I thought was the most normal thing in the world wen I was younger (love and trust in your family) apparently was all too often not the case in many other families. It's sad, actually.

All I can say is whatever you do, and no matter how angry you are, don't ever escalate it to physical violence. I'm sure you sometimes feel like knocking him on the floor, but that would only make things worse. Please don't force your partner to choose between you and her family, because it's not her fault, and she seems like a nice and loving person, since she offered to compensate you on her brother's behalf. (I do agree you were right to refuse the money, by the way, but I was simply talking about her gesture to do so.)

Again, like you said, it's not about the value of the card, but simply the cold realization that you just can't trust this person, even though he's an in-law.

One more thing: if he makes a serious plight for help (I mean psychological help, not financial help), that means he has realized he needs to change, and perhaps you should encourage that by helping him, if he is sincere.

leeb
May 8th, 2010, 03:21 AM
I make it REAL simple...

Don't own anything anybody else would want! :p

digger
May 8th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I make it REAL simple...

Don't own anything anybody else would want! :p

Simple, and boring... ;)

Jorg
May 8th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Maybe you can have him told or suggested in a non-suspect way that the best way to sell vintage computer stuff is this cool new forum at http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/content.php?119 you've heard about, but haven't really checked yet yourself :)

More seriously, I'd completely agree with Digger's post #20. Although I realise shared cultural values might be causing that to some extend too..

rayzer
May 10th, 2010, 04:12 PM
ok I'm back. Had a lot to do over the weekend. Somewhere out in cyberspace is a well crafted-post tying all this up with a neat bow. Unfortunately, you won't be seeing that one as it went poof when I timed out. I realize that, on the surface, this situation may seem rather petulant, a grown man complaining about some missing cards. However, there is a lot more to the story, as some of you may have figured out. In order to paint a clearer picture, let me fill in some gaps and share some insights I've had over the weekend.

Even though I've known this kid for last ten years or so, I've really associated with him the last couple of years. Before that, he'd only come by once in a while, because once in a while I'd give him the boot for running his mouth. Believe me, you would have done the same, I'm used to obnoxious people, but he went way over the line. Couple years ago, he corners me at family gathering and asks if I want to help with his roof. When I say cornered I mean set up. There's a lotta weird maneuvering going on here and it's mostly for show. I see this. So I tell him I'll help him if he'll help me on mine (when the time comes). Calling his bluff, I show up bright and early, every day till the job's done. (To the family's amazement seeing as I'm classified as a lazy bum. Bum maybe, but not that lazy.) Over the course of the next couple years, he gets some paying work here and there, so I go do a few jobs with him maybe about a dozen roofs couple of remodels, this and that. I figure he's got kids now, hasn't run his mouth in a good while, maybe he straightened up. Cool. Acted decent, nice to sis, acted helpful. So I helped him with ton a work over at his place, new floors, walls, blowin insulation, on and on for two years every little job he did he would call me up and I did every single one of them so he would not have any excuse to back out on me, and because I was gettin to like his old lady and kids. I had the feeling he was trying to weasel out of our deal, because he kept suggesting all the fastest, dirtiest ways I could do my roof, even though we had torn his off, resheeted, and shingled it the right way. So now that I'm doing my roof, guess who isn't showing up? I've finished the garage pretty much myself. He showed up, helped tack up one side and took off. Just so he could say he helped. Then he ganked me.

One thing that kept annoying me about the card thing was why he would take something that would be so obviously missed, then it hit me. This was meant to provoke a reaction. There's no other way for him to get out of this other than to try to get "fired". You see this goes back to the family dog and pony show. It's all for show. He figured if I kicked him off the job, he gets off scot-free with the family. He had originally thought he could go to them and say look he won't help me with this or this, but found out I'm a hard-working guy, when I get a chance.
I wondered why he would put so much effort in avoiding this job, then something else hit me. This is about pride, about me learning my place, about his superior standing in the family. The stolen cards are a message saying I can burn you and there's nothing you can do about it. And he's right. Any reprisal will have serious repercussions.
So there it is, I've been burned by a skilled sociopath, not a garden variety thief. I know, of course, violence is bad, but I feel less dirty scrapping than I do engaging this kind of backstabbing.

JDT
May 10th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Get even. Do not ever let people take from you. Justice, an eye for an eye.. a few teeth for a few cards... same difference. Send him a large calibre, high velocity "message". No, I'm not advocating shooting the bastard... but there are plenty of ways to get satisfaction.

and a bit OT, but your family-in-law dynamics seem complicated... "superior standing"? What does he want, a cookie for being king douchebag?
Personally I avoid as much drama as I can, hence I really don't associate with my family-in-law... while they are "mostly" good people, they are addicts, alcoholics and generally useless. I really don't know how my darling wife was ever produced out of that environment (I believe my wife is the only one from her family to graduate highschool or hold a job, since she has earned a degree in nursing and works as an RN). As I only see them once or twice a year on holidays, we get along just fine. Moral of the story, keep the people that matter to you close and bare fangs at anyone else who crosses your line in the sand.

rayzer
May 11th, 2010, 12:41 AM
You imply that you are angry with yourself trusting a relative. That is unnecessary. You should be able to trust your relatives. When he (apparently) betrayed that trust, the mistake was his, not yours.

If you're sure he took it, go visit him along with your wife/girlfriend, and ask it back. Tell him that it wasn't his to take, and that you're giving him a chance to correct his mistake so you can both put it behind you. If he refuses, tell him not to come visit you until he sets this right, and that it's not because of the money (as you said), but because you simply won't be able to trust him now.

Seriously though, I could never imagine any of my relatives (on either side) pulling something like that. Over the years, I've come to realize that what I thought was the most normal thing in the world wen I was younger (love and trust in your family) apparently was all too often not the case in many other families. It's sad, actually.

All I can say is whatever you do, and no matter how angry you are, don't ever escalate it to physical violence. I'm sure you sometimes feel like knocking him on the floor, but that would only make things worse. Please don't force your partner to choose between you and her family, because it's not her fault, and she seems like a nice and loving person, since she offered to compensate you on her brother's behalf. (I do agree you were right to refuse the money, by the way, but I was simply talking about her gesture to do so.)

Again, like you said, it's not about the value of the card, but simply the cold realization that you just can't trust this person, even though he's an in-law.

One more thing: if he makes a serious plight for help (I mean psychological help, not financial help), that means he has realized he needs to change, and perhaps you should encourage that by helping him, if he is sincere.

I admire your optimisim, I try to believe everyone's got at least a shred of decency in there somewhere, however, sociopaths cannot be cured. It took ten years to set me off, I'd call that a pretty long fuse. I'd never seriously hurt anyone, just make them squeal a little. Don't worry though, I gave my word I wouldn't touch a hair on his precious little head.

rayzer
May 11th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Maybe you can have him told or suggested in a non-suspect way that the best way to sell vintage computer stuff is this cool new forum at http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/content.php?119 you've heard about, but haven't really checked yet yourself :)

More seriously, I'd completely agree with Digger's post #20. Although I realise shared cultural values might be causing that to some extend too..

If I'd point him anywhere, it would be right here, to this thread, however I want the pleasure of telling him to his face what a gutless turd he is. Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll take a swipe at me.

rayzer
May 11th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Get even. Do not ever let people take from you. Justice, an eye for an eye.. a few teeth for a few cards... same difference. Send him a large calibre, high velocity "message". No, I'm not advocating shooting the bastard... but there are plenty of ways to get satisfaction.

and a bit OT, but your family-in-law dynamics seem complicated... "superior standing"? What does he want, a cookie for being king douchebag?
Personally I avoid as much drama as I can, hence I really don't associate with my family-in-law... while they are "mostly" good people, they are addicts, alcoholics and generally useless. I really don't know how my darling wife was ever produced out of that environment (I believe my wife is the only one from her family to graduate highschool or hold a job, since she has earned a degree in nursing and works as an RN). As I only see them once or twice a year on holidays, we get along just fine. Moral of the story, keep the people that matter to you close and bare fangs at anyone else who crosses your line in the sand.

So true, I'm used to getting crap like this settled real quick, however the family has some real leverage on us, I can't touch him for a few years at least. This family thinks they're it, just because they got a little money to show. Truth is, they are up to their eyeballs in hock, and the business has been in a death spiral for years. All show, and rotten at the core. It just ticks them off that I won't play the game and suck up for money. For example, the old man (emperor douchebag) is a tobacco nazi, and I'm the ONLY one in the family that will openly smoke in front of him(and tell him to take a hike while doing it), even though they all smoke. I find it amusing watching supposedly grown men and women hiding their cigarettes from daddy. You would not believe the crap they've done to try and split the old lady and I up, they just don't seem to get that some people are together because they actually like each others company, instead of for what they can gain from the other. And I thought my clan back home was screwed up!

carlsson
May 11th, 2010, 04:14 AM
I've probably already given some people the impression I'm a raving lunatic [..] I would not air such dirty laundry online,
I feel your aggression, but perhaps you should cool down a little before badmouthing all members of your family-in-law, which really shouldn't be to blame for what happened unless you believe the "emperor" ordered his son to steal something valuable from you in order to once and for all make you break up.

rayzer
May 11th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I feel your aggression, but perhaps you should cool down a little before badmouthing all members of your family-in-law, which really shouldn't be to blame for what happened unless you believe the "emperor" ordered his son to steal something valuable from you in order to once and for all make you break up.

The whole family, is this case, consists of only a few individuals, and while they all are not directly responsible for this particular incident, they have all taken personal jabs at myself and old lady, in order to get a better seat on the gravy train. When I say sociopath, I not just tossing that word out to sound clever. I mean there actually is a genetic predisposition towards sociopathic behavior coming from the father's side, and it's not just me that notices. I will not go eat out with them anymore, because they make it a point to complain loudly at EVERY SINGLE meal, every single place they go, and have seen them send more than one waitress running for the kitchen in tears. I personally don't care for eating other people's spit. And yes, you could argue that it's just me with the problem, however, I would bet my ass, that after 5 seconds, not minutes, around this crew, you would offer your condolences, and shake your head in utter disbelief. I know because I did when I first met them. No one, other than complete masochist, would enjoy these peoples company. By the way, the grandmother, who I do not count in this bunch, (she lives a short distance away and does not associate with them much), loves me to death, because I'm good to her granddaughter(Everyone else just makes fun of her), and I get under the emperors skin. All things considered, you are entitled to your opinion, I could be overly aggressive, then again maybe they've gone this far because I wasn't aggressive enough. Wolves do tend to eat sheep, you know.

lutiana
May 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM
...I've probably already given some people the impression I'm a raving lunatic.

Isn't that a requirement to join this forum?

dorkbert
May 11th, 2010, 02:20 PM
By the way, if anyone happens to find someone trying to sell a couple of buslogic bt-410a controllers (they are silkscreened bt but are actually kt with a third ide port) located in illinois, let me know. I would love to see the look on his face when I show up at his house to pick them up.My friend(s) from the haydays of Buslogic would be quite flatter to hear that you value the fruits of their (slave) labor with such passion. No, I didn't work there, but I hang out there for frequently at the time (when they were next door to Plextor.)

rayzer
May 14th, 2010, 12:13 AM
My friend(s) from the haydays of Buslogic would be quite flatter to hear that you value the fruits of their (slave) labor with such passion. No, I didn't work there, but I hang out there for frequently at the time (when they were next door to Plextor.)

The fact that they support 6 ide devices on one card is a really nice feature. I suppose they could be a bit better if they supported raid 0, but they still make a vlb system run quite well. Like I've said before, it's the act itself, not a couple cards, that set me off.

rayzer
May 20th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Figured I'd give this dead horse one last kick, case anyones wondering how this mess turned out. Pretty smoothly, which is best I suppose. After getting everything squared away, including a last forensic search with my old lady in tow(now 200% certain of card "evaporation", no square inch left untouched), I called him over asked him, gave a him a chance at one line of BS, and walked off before things got ugly. It's not all bad though, there are some hints that these cards may use their new found "legs" to walk their way back home and hide themselves in some obscure spot, to be found later of course. We'll see if common sense prevails.