PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm....my website might be vintage ;-)

MystikShadows
September 8th, 2005, 01:31 PM
I designed my website to look and feel like a good old DOS application...does that count as vintage? ;-). it's a programming website but still....:-).

http://www.ascii-world.com

Comments, flames (hopefully not too many), critics, etc etc ;-) all welcome.

that's why I posted this in the off topic category lol.

CP/M User
September 8th, 2005, 09:27 PM
"MystikShadows" wrote:

> I designed my website to look and feel like a good old DOS
> application...does that count as vintage? ;-). it's a programming website
> but still....:-).

> http://www.ascii-world.com

> Comments, flames (hopefully not too many), critics, etc etc ;-) all
> welcome.

> that's why I posted this in the off topic category lol.

Why not, since it's all derived from CP/M v2.2?

Not bad, but some problems:

* For the Texty box look you'll need the Square cursor - have no idea how you'd get that - unless your website told Windows to alter the appearence of it, but you'd need to change it back. Then what would happen if the computer happened to be non-Windows based (e.g. Mac, 'nix based, OS/2 or even DOS itself! ;-)

* Same kinda problem with the Scrollbar, which doesn't look like a DOS scrollbar (from the EDIT program or something).

But at least there's some intent to make it look texty.

CP/M User.

carlsson
September 9th, 2005, 06:10 AM
The top frame is too narrow to fit all the text. Ditto for the bottom frame. The left frame lacks a scrollbar at all, so those who didn't maximize the browser at the highest resolution their graphics card can display, will have a hard time navigate the menus.

I don't know if all those issues can be solved with frames. I would have used an include (top/menu/bottom) technology on all pages and maybe make the top and bottom fixed, although there are browser compatibility problems with that approach too. Sigh.

Jorg
September 9th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Nice!

I've been looking myself for something like it, but I wanted a black green layout qith system font to put my IBM 5170 page on.

If anybody knows a template... one side menu will do..

I found a way to run a webserver on the AT- never tought it could.