PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh Cleanup

nicolasmurray
May 11th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I wanted to share some pic's of the two Macintosh units I have been working on getting cleaned up. The first is my Macintosh Classic, it came coated with stickers. Cleaned up nicely but some yellowing where the stickers had been.

The second unit is a Macintosh SE FDHD unit, I just got that one tore down for cleaning.

**PICTURES TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE**

glitch
May 11th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Very nice! I like the compact Mac design, especially the more "industrial" look of the SE and SE/30. The only compact Macs I own are Classic and Classic II machines (most of which are waiting to be recapped).

Since you're clearly not afraid to fully disassemble your systems, you might consider applying retr0bright to bring the plastic back to the correct color. Depending on how long you let it work, you might be able to remove the yellow from the stickers. I was introduced to retr0bright through these forums, and have had excellent results with it and Mac equipment.

nicolasmurray
May 11th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the compliment. Actually, while reading up on Retr0bright is how I came across this forum. I have considered it for the future, right now I am working on unit functionality. The Classic is functional besides the sound, get faint sound from the audio out port on the rear. The SE FDHD unit is not booting from the HD, it did when I first got it, but only once. I put in a different PRAM battery and tried to reset the PRAM via the CMD+OPT+P+R routine at startup. The unit still does not boot from the HD, same thing happened on my other SE FDHD, booted just once from the HD.

tezza
May 11th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Very nice! I like the compact Mac design, especially the more "industrial" look of the SE and SE/30. The only compact Macs I own are Classic and Classic II machines (most of which are waiting to be recapped).

Yes me too. Regarding appearence, the baby Macs are a design icon of the 1980s.

I have an SE that I tried to fix but failed (http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2009-04-23-Mac-SE-resurrection-bridge-too-far.htm). It awaits in the corner for any extremely cheap (i.e. free) spare parts which may come my way sometime.

Tez

Floppies_only
May 12th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Yes me too. Regarding appearence, the baby Macs are a design icon of the 1980s.

I have an SE that I tried to fix but failed (http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2009-04-23-Mac-SE-resurrection-bridge-too-far.htm). It awaits in the corner for any extremely cheap (i.e. free) spare parts which may come my way sometime.

Tez

Tez,

That was interesting. They taught us in high school how to identify the different leads of a transistor, and what goes on inside of one. When I read that you got an open reading on the resistance both ways between two leads, I thought it might be because there is no signal between one of those and the third lead. A transistor can be used to amplify a signal. You put your signal through two of the leads and power on one of them, and you get an amplified signal out of the third.

Sean

nige the hippy
May 13th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Just on the transistor... Tezza, typical connections for a TO220 (which is that package) and TO3P (which is fairly typical of the next size up) are Base Collector Emitter (or gate drain source for a fet) and usually the middle leg and the tab are connected - so watch that the insulator and sleeve are installed properly otherwise the heatsink can start to get interesting. sometimes what looks like an insulator behind the transistor is a heat transfer pad and may be conductive so if you replace it from your bits box make sure you have the right sort - note signature below

(oooh 4 digits!)

tezza
May 13th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll bear that in mind for the next time.

nicolasmurray
May 15th, 2010, 07:22 AM
I put the SE FDHD unit back together. Pic's are updated. The one remaining issue on this unit is booting from an internal hard drive, it booted just one time when I first got it. Tried another HD and PRAM Battery with the same results.