PDA

View Full Version : I need some card IDs.

Mac collector
May 23rd, 2010, 07:36 AM
I got a few Macs yesterday and a few of them have cards in them and I wonder what they are. The first one I have is a IIcx with 2 cards that are linked together and ones says AST Mac286. Is this something to make the mac a 286? I might have the manual for it in a box of manuals that the computers came with. It also has a port on the back that looks like a parallel port. The next one is a ATI video card that has what looks like to be a processor on it with video and a blocked off game port on it. It came out of a 7200/90. What does this card do? I might have more but that is all for now.

EDIT-I found the mac286 manual, It says it lets you run DOS on the Macintosh II. It also lets you use PC floppy Drives.

Anonymous Freak
July 6th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I'm replying forever-late.

As you figured out, the Mac286 is a little IBM PC-AT on a card. The port on the back is very likely either a parallel port or an external floppy port, so you could plug in an external 5.25" drive.

The ATI card is exactly what you think it is. It's a video card. The "game port" is likely actually an older Macintosh video port. Before Apple adopted the standard "VGA" video plug, they used their own plug for monitors that was physically the same as the port that was used as a "game/MIDI" port on PCs. (Obviously, a completely different pinout.)

Unknown_K
July 6th, 2010, 07:07 PM
The second card connected to the AST 286 is an special external floppy connector to a 5.25" drive so you can run DOS apps.

Mac collector
July 19th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks guys! Sorry for taking forever to reply! I have been busy with work and all that fun stuff. Though I did get my hands on a (semi) working SE/30 with a HD20! I have been after one for a while.

Yeah, I'm replying forever-late.

As you figured out, the Mac286 is a little IBM PC-AT on a card. The port on the back is very likely either a parallel port or an external floppy port, so you could plug in an external 5.25" drive.

The ATI card is exactly what you think it is. It's a video card. The "game port" is likely actually an older Macintosh video port. Before Apple adopted the standard "VGA" video plug, they used their own plug for monitors that was physically the same as the port that was used as a "game/MIDI" port on PCs. (Obviously, a completely different pinout.)

Thanks for the info on the "game port" I didn't think it was a Video Port! (I am a noob at these old machines as some of them are older than me!)