PDA

View Full Version : MIB Atari or any computer for that matter

gerrydoire
May 26th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Most of us have seen, thought of or even bought one.

A computer that is listed as MIB Sealed.

An Atari 800xl for example, There is one on Ebay being sold as MIB Sealed.

Since the box doesn't have any tamper proof labels, or a plastic wrap, how
can one ever really know the box hasn't been opened, the computer used
and the box flaps glued back up?

carlsson
May 26th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Perhaps you can dust the box and more importantly the computer case to look for fingerprints, assuming the employees at the factory used gloves when packing the computer once upon a time? :-D

mark66j
May 27th, 2010, 07:28 AM
As long as everything is in like-new condition, personally I would not worry so much about the seal having been broken at some point. I know this seems to be important to some collectors, but to me the enjoyment of collecting is in being able to explore the machine itself, including (hopefully) using it. So if you plan to open it up, I'm not sure it matters if someone else did before.

Unfortunately for older machines "sealed in box" is no guarantee that it will work. Most of the problems with old machines seem to be leaking capacitors or batteries, both of which can happen before the machine is even turned on. (Maybe caps are more likely to fail after getting hot, not sure about that).

So I say if you want the machine and the price is right, just get it and enjoy!

barythrin
May 27th, 2010, 08:58 AM
If the price is less than the cost of the bricks in the box they it's still a profit. :-) It's a tough one for me to buy something that they can't take a picture of.. as you said, lots of people can shrink wrap stuff and I'd much rather know it's new but complete than "mint". I'd end up with the same problem if I ever tried to resell if that's the goal which unopened items tend to seem that way to me.