PDA

View Full Version : Tandy 1000EX hard disk.

Hatta
May 27th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I just acquired a Tandy 1000EX. Is it possible to use IDE devices with this machine in conjunction with the XT-IDE? The XT-IDE wiki says the HX is supported, so I think the EX would be too. If anyone knows for sure I'd like to hear. I'd like to put a CF-IDE device in this thing if possible.

Are there other upgrades available for the 1000EX? Can I install more RAM or overclock this thing? I imagine much is complicated by the nonstandard slots.

k2x4b524[
May 27th, 2010, 02:31 PM
i believe for the HX and the EX you need to use expansion cards that have pins instead of slots, an adapter can be made though. TVDog's website has alof of tandy stuff

http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog/

vwestlife
May 27th, 2010, 04:08 PM
The 1000EX and 1000HX use the so-called "PLUS" connector, which is really just the 8-bit ISA bus converted to a pin connector. Radio Shack sold a right-angle adapter which converted the PLUS bus into a standard ISA slot.

Note that Tandy had their own IDE-XT standard, known as "SmartDrive" (not to be confused with the DOS disk caching program) designed to work with the Seagate ST-325X (20 meg) and ST-351A/X (40 meg) drives, plus maybe a few similar drives from Western Digital. I mention this so you won't get confused if you see references to the Tandy SmartDrive controller for IDE-XT drives. The current "IDE-XT" controller project being offered through this Forum is actually an IDE-AT (a.k.a. ATA or EIDE) controller designed to work through an 8-bit XT bus, and thus will work with almost any modern IDE or EIDE type hard drive, and is not to be confused with the long-obsolete "IDE-XT" controllers and drives.