PDA

View Full Version : Passports for smiling terrorists?

carlsson
September 17th, 2005, 02:25 AM
EU (and I suppose USA and other countries around the world) are introducing new passports. It contains a micro chip holding a digital image of you, your DNA and finger print. So far, so good.

But in order to get photos that fit in the system, individual photographers are no longer allowed to take passport photos, at least not in Sweden. Starting from now, the passport department at the Police is the only qualified instance to take a picture. They had to recruit a lot of new staff, invest in advanced cameras (tax money!) and consequently may put a couple of photographers out of business, as passport and driver's license photos is a steady source of income.

Here is the most interesting thing: in order to correctly measure the dimensions of your face to store digitally, you may not smile, as it would distort your true facial form. All these measures are said to be to prevent terrorists, human smugglers and other suspicious people to enter under false identity. While I can accept the explanation about measuring the face, I wonder how many terrorists try to disguise their identity only by putting on a smile?

(I could not decide if this was going to become a rant or not)

CP/M User
September 17th, 2005, 03:36 AM
"carlsson" wrote:

> EU (and I suppose USA and other countries around the world) are
> introducing new passports. It contains a micro chip holding a digital
> image of you, your DNA and finger print. So far, so good.

> But in order to get photos that fit in the system, individual
> photographers are no longer allowed to take passport photos, at least
> not in Sweden. Starting from now, the passport department at the
> Police is the only qualified instance to take a picture. They had to
> recruit a lot of new staff, invest in advanced cameras (tax money!) and
> consequently may put a couple of photographers out of business, as
> passport and driver's license photos is a steady source of income.

> Here is the most interesting thing: in order to correctly measure the
> dimensions of your face to store digitally, you "may not smile", as
> it would distort your true facial form. All these measures are said to be
> to prevent terrorists, human smugglers and other suspicious people to
> enter under false identity. While I can accept the explanation about
> measuring the face, I wonder how many terrorists try to disguise their
> identity only by putting on a smile?

> (I could not decide if this was going to become a rant or not)

All I can think of at this point of time is that little joker who was accused
of being behind the Bail Bombings which got a reduced sentence - he
couldn't stop with that stupid smile on his face.

While I can understand people want an identity system to ping these
people down if they ever decide Europe, I believe Australia are trying to
push for such a system here - to make us a safer country, not a lot of
action seems to be done about it. I believe they were doing this more
people comming into the country & perhaps out - which makes it hard if
the guilty party are already here ready to kill themselves.

I only hope people will be different here & try & stop these people before
they do some really serious damage, though in some instances the
attacks happen so suddenly.

It is sad that the taxpayer has to pay for this to what your speaking of.
Usually here it's a case of the same thing happening. People are paying
everday just to help out the system. What's wrong is the Rich people are
benefiting, while the middle & low income earners have to keep on
struggling - even our Public Schools are sufferning because many Private
Schools are being well funded from the Government - even though they
provide high fees for people students to attend their schools.

CP/M User.

carlsson
September 17th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Well, you do have to pay for issuing a passport. Previously you would pay some to the photographer, unless you knew one who would take your picture for free, so I suppose people will pay to the Police to get the picture taken too. Still, the investment costs need at least initially to be taken from somewhere. It is said that the photo industry will get to take part as resellers of the equipment (and maybe hired within the passport department?), but it is a faint reward for the individual photo shop who may see an immediate drop in turnover. Photos for ID and driver's license are not yet affected, but as all these documents seem to merge into eachother, I'm sure the Police would like to utilize their staff and equipment as much as possible. I also assume a photo meant for a passport should do even for a driver's license.

Good point about threats coming from the inside. As long as you stay within the same country, you don't need a passport, hardly an ID if you have no bank accounts or other reasons to identify yourself.. unless the law requires every adult citizen to always carry an ID (even to the beach?). Of course there are more active ways to infiltrate and prevent terrorism groups than just standing at the border looking at which people get into the country, and then leave them alone if the papers seem OK.

Eventually, we may get a Big Brother society. Everyone get a micro chip implanted under the skin, and there are scanners everywhere. If one tries to meddle with your chip or disarm a scanner, an alarm would set off and you are seconds away from being interrogated or .. executed? I'm not sure at all this is something I'd prefer. It would put a lot of importance on the governing authorities to run it for the democracy's and society's good, without corruption or misuse.

Probably the best thing is to analyse what kind of people there is in the world. Why would someone want to kill others, can disputes be solved so everyone are content or is it part of life (humankind?) to always want to get bigger, more? Would a sudden attack from space aliens make e.g. Al Qaida think differently, or would they instead take the opportunity to attack western countries busy fighting attacks from outer space? Oh well, the last scenario maybe went a little over the head, but anyway.. :roll:

Terry Yager
September 17th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Would a sudden attack from space aliens make e.g. Al Qaida think differently, or would they instead take the opportunity to attack western countries busy fighting attacks from outer space? Oh well, the last scenario maybe went a little over the head, but anyway.. Rolling Eyes

I dunno, R. Regan used the same argument...

--T