PDA

View Full Version : Silicon Valley ADP50 IDE adapter

curtis
June 9th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Not sure as to whether post this in this forum or the Commodore/Amiga forum, but here goes.

I'm working on installing a 2386SX bridgeboard into an Amiga 2000. Somewhere along the way I picked up a Silicon Valley ADP50 IDE adapter and thought this would work out real nice with an IBM 512Mb Microdrive. I managed to get DOS installed on it, but when I do a fdisk, it shows 512Mb partitioned for the primary but indicates only 9Mb is available.

Surprisingly enough, a chkdsk shows the correct amount available.

I tried a 32Mb CF and it indicates only 1Mb available even though it formats and installs DOS!

What's up with that? Is there some sort of BIOS limitation on drive size?

curtis
June 9th, 2010, 02:24 PM
A quick update now that I'm home and can look at the stupid thing!

Exact model is ADP50L. Weird thing is, all the pictures I find on the web describing this one don't show the external floppy controller.

What is really annoying about this thing is that 90% of time when I boot it up, I get a "Hard Drive Controller Error". When I press F1 to retry, it boots right up!

Out of curiosity, what would happen if I reset the jumpers to disable the BIOS?

ibmapc
June 9th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Exact model is ADP50L. Weird thing is, all the pictures I find on the web describing this one don't show the external floppy controller.

My ADP50L doesn't have a floppy controller either. Are you saying that yours has a floppy controller on the same card as the IDE controller?

Unknown_K
June 9th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Without the BIOS it won't boot.

curtis
June 10th, 2010, 04:56 AM
My ADP50L doesn't have a floppy controller either. Are you saying that yours has a floppy controller on the same card as the IDE controller?

Yup! I studied it several times to make sure. It's an ADP50L WITH a floppy connector. I'm wondering if it might have a custom ROM that limits the size of the hard drive it actually sees.

unknown_K, kinda figured that's what would happen, but was just checking. So, essentially, IF I were to disable the BIOS, it would just sit there and look at me funny! Ya know, that option doesn't even make sense to have it there.

JT64
September 28th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Well i also have an ADP50L but no floppy controller i am aware off. My CF reader is sensitive with the power cable though suddenly it was just booting now and then but after i wiggled the power to the CF reader it will now boot flawless.

Also check your IDE cable shorter better.
JT

Chromedome45
September 28th, 2011, 12:31 PM
The ADP50L is BIOS limited to 512MB I have one 2 and thats as big as it gets with this one.

Trixter
November 10th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I have one as well, and I concur. In fact, a 512MB CF gave it trouble, so I tested a 256MB and a 340MB (IBM Microdrive) and they work fine. I've been using the 340MB microdrive for 5 years now (being a tiny hard drive, I don't have to worry about killing flash memory cells due to excessive writes).