PDA

View Full Version : CGA card with MDA monitor?

Raven
June 26th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Can you do this? Is it safe? I have an original IBM CGA card that came with my 5160 that I'd like to put back in there, but since I don't have a CGA monitor, I can either use different cards w/ VGA and an out-of-place looking monitor, or I can use monochromatic CGA over composite. It would be better if I could use more appropriate-looking monochromatic monitors with this machine, but they're all de9, so can they be used with the RGB port on a CGA card? I looked at the pinout, and they look compatible - everything's the same that's used. On a CGA the color pins are 3,4,5 while on monochrome it's "not used". The only other difference is pin 7 which is "video" on monochrome and "reserved" on CGA.

Thoughts?

Chuck(G)
June 26th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Check the scanning frequencies--the CGA is 15.750KHz; the MDA is 18.432Khz for horizontal; 60Hz and 50Hz vertical. Stick an monochrome monitor on a CGA card and you'll toast the monitor. Guaranteed if you leave it connected for any amount of time.

Raven
June 26th, 2010, 05:27 PM
That's why I ask these things before I try them - lol - thanks.

elongshine
February 14th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Can you do this? Is it safe? I have an original IBM CGA card that came with my 5160 that I'd like to put back in there, but since I don't have a CGA monitor, I can either use different cards w/ VGA and an out-of-place looking monitor, or I can use monochromatic CGA over composite. It would be better if I could use more appropriate-looking monochromatic monitors with this machine, but they're all de9, so can they be used with the RGB port on a CGA card? I looked at the pinout, and they look compatible - everything's the same that's used. On a CGA the color pins are 3,4,5 while on monochrome it's "not used". The only other difference is pin 7 which is "video" on monochrome and "reserved" on CGA.

Thoughts?

can use
RGB, MDA, CGA, EGA to VGA Converter

IVC-809 Performance and characteristic
1. MDA, CGA, EGA, RGB, RGB SOG, RGBS,RGB cs, RGBHV, YUV Signal auto scan(Horizontal Scanning Frequency: 12K-40K, Vertical Scanning Frequency: unconstrained).
2. Vertical Resolution: 160-600 lines, auto scan.
3. Horizontal resolution: unconstrained, auto scan.
4. Supports sync separation, CS composite sync, SOG green sync, YPbPr (SOY) sync.
5. Supports monochrome, Grayscale, color signal input.

Quick reference for IVC-809:
Input Signal: MDA, CGA, EGA, RGB, RGB Sog, RGBS, RGBHV, YPbPr, Mono/Colour
Input Interface: BNC port, 9 PIN, 5 PIN, 6 PIN, 7 PIN, 15 PIN,24 PIN, 25 PIN...
Parameter: Analog: 0.5-1.0 / TTL: 3-5V, 75 ohm / 750 ohm
Scanning: Progressive/Interlaced
Output Signal: Standard 15Pin D-SUB VGA, 800*600/60hz
Power: DC 5-12V 1.0A / Consumption- 2.0W maximum

more info: http://cncmonitor.wordpress.com/