PDA

View Full Version : Fix Game Boy screen?

linuxlove
July 2nd, 2010, 06:01 PM
My DMG-01 got a couple light scratches after trying to fix the dead lines.
On my main LCD, I had a couple scratches on it which I used Vaseline to fill them in.

Is it safe to use Vaseline to fix light scratches on the Game Boy screen, should I use something else or should I just forget it?

Raven
July 2nd, 2010, 10:04 PM
Vaseline is a solvent of some kind iirc, so you're right to ask - I'm not sure of the answer. There are special gels and stuff that are meant for fixing scratches in plastic, you might want one of those. Personally scratches in handheld game screens usually don't bother me, but I suppose if they were bad enough it might warrant it.

NathanAllan
July 2nd, 2010, 11:40 PM
Never even heard of using vasaline as a fix, that's quite interesting.

But being a bit of a solvent I wouldn't try that. Wish I had more to offer, I am at a loss.

barythrin
July 4th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Never heard of that one either. Not the help you're looking for but my advice would be that the systems aren't going for much (from what I've seen) it may be worth picking up another unit at a pawn shop or other surplus store. In a worst case scenario you can replace the screen with another unit if you wanted to. I'm not sure what winshield repair places use or if there's any other cool trick. For CDs it's more of sandpaper and cleaner so that wouldn't work.

Raven
July 4th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Last I heard he was trying to sell the Game Boy, so I doubt he's going to look for another. :P

Edit: Unless this is a different one, of course.

linuxlove
July 5th, 2010, 05:45 AM
The one I was trying to sell was a GB Pocket.

At the pawn shop, there's a Gameboy for sale; maybe I should pick it up and use that one for playing on while using the scratched one for tinkering/modding/trying to put UNIX on.

bikers
July 13th, 2010, 10:16 PM
the scratch remover used to remove car's scratches is helpful in removing scratches from laptop may b it works with gameboy too . . . :-D :-p

Chuck(G)
July 14th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Gel-type toothpaste and a soft cotton cloth and lots of rubbing. People sometimes use the combination to remove light scratches in plastic lenses used in glasses.

barythrin
July 14th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Toothpaste would be a light abrasive like other things right? So the theory is rubbing the rest of the plastic away down to the level of the scratch :-) (Like CD scratch repair kits) unless there's another property in the toothpaste that would sort of fill it in instead of filing the rest down.