PDA

View Full Version : Xerox 16/8 on the way...

Lord Moz
July 17th, 2010, 09:00 AM
As luck would have it, I was doing my regular eBay wandering through the Vintage Computing catagory, and happened across this "Xerox Terminal 8 in disk drive v5.00 1983 h70 u07" (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190419672396&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT) less than an hour after it was posted. The price wasn't insane, so after a bit of talking with my father (who has an 820), I decided to buy it.

So, now I need software for the thing. Does anyone here have images for any of this thing's software? CP/M 2.2, CP/M 86 or MS-DOS 2? I found the manuals on bitsavers (http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/xerox/820-II/), and they have been very interesting to read, but I can't seem to find any software for it.

When this thing arrives, any suggestions or cautions before I power it on? From the auction's pictures, the computer itself is obviously functional, but the disk assembly is my main concern here, especially with the technical manual warning that the fixed disk heads have a slight chamfer and can gauge the media if rotated counter-clockwise. I asked the seller to properly engage the drive lock on the fixed disk, and sent him a link to the instruction manual. Hopefully he will be able to do that for me, and isn't upset to find it isn't a "terminal" and is a vintage computer like he thought it was.

This will be my first CP/M system with a fixed disk, and only my 3rd CP/M system total, after my Kaypro IV and Commodore 128 & 128D (my only CP/M system with a 3.5" disk heh). I suppose it will also be my only MS-DOS system with an 8" floppy. Along with the other manuals I found, I saw a document on using MS-DOS 2.0 with 8" floppies.

This is the thrill of vintage machines for me :) I was 3 when these things were new...

Anyway, any help, suggestions, cautions or ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance to everyone :D
__
Trevor

Chuck(G)
July 17th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I think I've got a 16/8 boot disk. Do you have a PC-accessible 8" drive? (I'm not inclined to mail disks)

Lord Moz
July 17th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Unfortunately, no, I don't at the moment, but am not opposed to to acquiring one. This will be my first 8 inch floppy system. I still need to get some media. Is there a better place to get 8 inch disks than eBay? I see a listing on our Vintage Marketplace here, but the listing doesn't indicate if the disks are 1/2 sided or SD/DD.

Obviously, I need 8" media regardless, but after that, would bootstrapping over the serial port through the monitor work, or would getting an 8" floppy working on an older PC be easier/better?

What OS boot disk do you have for it?

__
Trevor

Chuck(G)
July 17th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Unfortunately, no, I don't at the moment, but am not opposed to to acquiring one. This will be my first 8 inch floppy system. I still need to get some media. Is there a better place to get 8 inch disks than eBay? I see a listing on our Vintage Marketplace here, but the listing doesn't indicate if the disks are 1/2 sided or SD/DD.

Obviously, I need 8" media regardless, but after that, would bootstrapping over the serial port through the monitor work, or would getting an 8" floppy working on an older PC be easier/better?

What OS boot disk do you have for it?

You could always attach a 5.25" DSHD floppy to your system if you want to economize on media.

I'll have to check, but I believe the disks I have are CP/M 86/80.

Lord Moz
July 17th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I could do that, and may end up doing it, but I want to at least try to get the 8" disks up and running. Part of the charm of the vintage systems eh? :)

Any special type of 5.25 drives it needs? I have plenty of 360KB and 1.2MB drives and disks here.

I'm really hoping the fixed disk is still functional. The seller called me a while ago and left a voicemail to discuss the shipping arrangements, but I missed his call, and he wasn't answering when I returned his call.

The system docs say the 8086 can be expanded to 256KB. Is that the absolute upper limit, or can anything more useful be fitted onto it?

The system is in AZ, so not too terribly far from TX. Hopefully it has a quick and gentle trip through the desert.
__
Trevor

Chuck(G)
July 17th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Take a look at the 820-II technical manual--I seem to remember that these things could take either 8" or 5.25" drives.

If it's as a substitute for 8", a drive such as the Teac FD-55GFR should do, jumpered for 360 RPM, high-density, ready output. Use DSHD media.

Lord Moz
July 19th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Well, I hope the 16/8 will be on its way soon. Seems the seller "discovered" that he "underestimated" the value of the machine and is trying to cancel the transaction.

I declined, and sent him a message. I will have to see what happens.

He posted it with a buy-it-now price. Am I wrong not having a lot of sympathy if he doesn't think it sold for enough? I mean, no one kept him from doing any research on the machine before selling it, or made him post it as a buy-it-now... right?

*sigh*

I don't like confrontations, and I don't like being rude, but I really do want this machine, and don't think it's fair to back out just because he set a price that in his hind-sight is not to his liking.

Has anyone else had any problems like this?
__
Trevor

Chuck(G)
July 19th, 2010, 03:19 PM
There's all sorts of language on the eBay web site that a bid represents a contract between buyer and seller. If he tries to back out, he's guilty of breach, particularly if he accepted your payment. He needs to be reported to eBay.

Lord Moz
July 19th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I hope it doesn't come to that, but I will if necessary. He says he can't "give it away" after learning its value. But whose job is it to do that research? And isn't that almost the whole point of a regular auction? To see what the market thinks an item is worth?
He posted a 26 year old computer for sale at $75 buy it now. I think he "discovered" its value after I sent the operations manual to him so he could secure the fixed disk's spindle for shipping. That, or he thinks the other 820 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Xerox-820-Computer-w-Keyboard-Z-80-Works-/200435625145?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eaae4ecb9) on ebay is representative of it's value ($889?!?!?! lol).

He tried to get some sympathy saying he needed dental work, but I told him that although I wished him the best of health, that wasn't really relevant to our transaction.

So, have to see what he decides next. He already refunded my money, but I told him I still wanted the item he contracted to sell me, and would appreciate a total shipping amount. I even told him I wasn't opposed to "reasonable" packing and handling fees.

Grrr. Really hope this doesn't get worse.

__
Trevor

barythrin
July 19th, 2010, 03:51 PM
You know, I've never had that happen either until just recently where a seller wanted to back out because they didn't get a price they expected. It was just a few games (honestly the prices weren't very far off since this WAS a public auction I felt it reflected accurate market interest) but I let it go and let him back out. I guess I didn't need the game that much but it was still kinda snooty of the seller. I also saw a few canceled auctions when the seller didn't like the current price recently. Not sure if these are folks who are new to ebay or what. Used to be a garage sale, you sell it because you don't want it.. if it sells then good if not you do whatever. Now it's like the seller needs assurance that they can make a huge profit.

Lord Moz
July 19th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Yea, I don't really get it either. A deal's a deal, right? He's the one who set the price on a BiN.

But I did get another deal. Maybe not quite as much of a "steal," but I'm happy. I purchased a Kaypro 4 and 10 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170515518502&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT), complete with manuals and software for $150 + ~$85 shipping. They will join my Kaypro IV, also complete with disks and manuals. Seems to be the sellers first auction, so hope there is no drama there either.

There is this guy (http://cgi.ebay.com/Vtg-KAYPRO-II-2-Disks-Manuals-Magazines-RARE-Collection-/140429341869?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b23db4ad), who thinks the disks and manuals, plus some magazines alone are worth $150... heh at least he has a "Best Offer" button.
__
Trevor

Lord Moz
July 19th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Some people :rolleyes:

From the top...:

Sent: Mon 7/19/2010 5:23 PM
Dear lordmoz,

I am sorry after lerning the value of this unit I can not give it away also it is to heavy to ship USPS . I have started the prosses to cancel the transaction I hope you will approve it , I am also returning your money now . I hope you will be understanding I am struguling finacialy and in need of dental care
- srekeptrank

---------------
Sent: Mon 7/19/2010 5:46 PM
Dear srekeptrank,

You posted a buy-it-now auction, and I purchased your item. As stated in eBay rules, this is a legal transaction. If you were not sure of the item's value, you could have posted it as a regular auction.

I don't mean to be un-sympathetic, and I am sorry about any health issues you have, but that isn't really relevant to the transaction here.

USPS will ship packages up to 70 pounds, so the computer should fit into 2 or 3 boxes, as necessary. If you do not wish to ship it USPS, and believe another carrier might be less expensive, I do not really have a preference.

I am willing to pay reasonable packing and handling fees, but nothing excessive.

Again, I am sorry if you feel the price is low, but this was a buy-it-now auction.
__
Trevor
- lordmoz

-----------------
Sent: Mon 7/19/2010 7:08 PM
Dear lordmoz,

I made a mistake in identfying the unit I thought it was a temanal it is not , I am also mentaly didabled do to a tramatic head injury and there are laws that protect me do as you will , I am not sending the unit out
- srekeptrank

-----------------
Mon 7/19/2010 7:15 PM
Dear srekeptrank,

Identification of the product is your responsibility. My wife is a brain injury patient as well, missing a brain lobe. I am aware of no laws allowing you to back out of a legal contract.

I am federal government employee, as soldier in the United States Army, and have plenty of resources available to me as well.

You made a legally binding contract to sell the merchandise. You are free to reread your eBay rules and terms you agreed to when creating your account, and agreed to again by offering your item for sale.

If you do not intend to do the honorable thing and fulfill your legal obligation, I will have to take it up with eBay and see what other option are appropriate.

Please do not make this difficult for either of us, and honor your obligation and commitment.
__
Trevor
- lordmoz

*sigh* again.

Any suggestions? Anything I should have done differently? Or try next? He refunded my money... so do I just report him and give up? Negative feedback would tarnish his 100% (85) but I really want that computer! :)

Hope my Kaypro 10 can fill at least some of the fun... even if it can't run DOS stuff.
__
Trevor

Chuckster_in_Jax
July 19th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Well, I hope the 16/8 will be on its way soon. Seems the seller "discovered" that he "underestimated" the value of the machine and is trying to cancel the transaction.

He posted it with a buy-it-now price. Am I wrong not having a lot of sympathy if he doesn't think it sold for enough? I mean, no one kept him from doing any research on the machine before selling it, or made him post it as a buy-it-now... right?

I don't like confrontations, and I don't like being rude, but I really do want this machine, and don't think it's fair to back out just because he set a price that in his hind-sight is not to his liking.

Has anyone else had any problems like this?
__
Trevor

About 4 months ago I bought an HP keyboard from Impact Computers for $47.59. I was listed as on sale and the price wasn't too unreasonable. After I paid for it I got a phone call from their sales department saying they wanted more money for it. That their prices fluctuated with the market and the price now is $110.00. I was so piss off I told them "No, for that price I can buy a complete terminal with keyboard and monitor". They then refunded my money(PayPal). It took them a couple of weeks to change the price on their website. Here is their current listing:

http://www.impactcomputers.com/c3341-60201.html

It's all hind site now, but I should have made their life a living hell until they honored the advertised price. Kept calling their customer service every 5 minutes, flood their FAX number with about 200 faxes etc...

Checking the Better Business Bureau came up with the following results for this company:

BBB Rating

Based on BBB files, this business has a BBB Rating of C on a scale from A+ to F.
Reasons for this rating include:

100 complaints filed against business

Chuck(G)
July 19th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Any suggestions? Anything I should have done differently? Or try next? He refunded my money... so do I just report him and give up? Negative feedback would tarnish his 100% (85) but I really want that computer! :)

Hope my Kaypro 10 can fill at least some of the fun... even if it can't run DOS stuff.

Crikey. Report him to eBay. He's got the system; he's not going to give it up, but maybe eBay can give him the boot. You should have refused the refund.

I've had only one instance where a seller asked for more money--and it was legit. He underestimated shipping costs, so it was fine for me to pay (after checking rates myself) the extra for shipping. He even agreed to take a $20 hit on the deal.

But flakes, geez. Wish them a happy life and be relieved that you didn't lose any money. You're not going to win this one. Wait for the next treasure to show up. Life is too short.

Lord Moz
July 19th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I reported him to eBay, they sent him a nastygram reminding him that the sale is a legal contract and warn him that he could lose his account and be barred from creating new accts as well.
As far as the refund, he did that on his own, I didn't have any opportunity to deny that. It was the request to cancel the transaction that I declined.

If I don't "win," I will survive, of course... but I'm not ready to give up yet. I got myself all worked up reading up on this thing... I want it now :p
Being in the Army, I'm used to having to work a bit ;)

I've got 60+ days of leave... I could see how he responds to the idea of small claims court :angry:
I haven't been to AZ in a while, and never to Phoenix. I did my Advanced Individual Training at Ft Huacuca near Sierra Vista. I could use a vacation ;)
__
Trevor

Chuck(G)
July 19th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I haven't been to AZ in a while, and never to Phoenix. I did my Advanced Individual Training at Ft Huacuca near Sierra Vista. I could use a vacation ;)

I wouldn't call Ft. Huachuca a vacation. Exile would be more like it. :)

MikeS
July 19th, 2010, 06:56 PM
If I don't "win," I will survive, of course... but I'm not ready to give up yet. I got myself all worked up reading up on this thing... I want it now :p
TrevorHope you get it; then I can sell you some 8" disks for an exorbitant price ;-)

Lord Moz
July 19th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Ft Huachuca wasn't all that bad. I spent ~5.5 months there before coming here to Ft Hood. I was there from June through November in 2005, and remember the regularly scheduled showers that seemed perfectly timed to hit us as we were marching to (or from, or both) lunch chow. Was interesting to see it rain sideways. I grew up in Portland, OR and hadn't ever seen that before.

Ft Hood is really exile for computer geeks. Dallas and Austin have all the nifty stuff, but both are a fair commute for me.
I suppose it's just as well, if I was living back home in Portland, my house would probably be completely packed full of stuff by now.
Shipping costs are kind of a natural disincentive to overaccumulation eh? :p

Sitting at 103 systems now... :d

MikeS: Define exorbitant in relation to 8" floppies :)
I've got a mild interest in getting a 8" drive hooked up to an old 486 or something now though.

Tomorrow my OS-9000 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200493900703&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT) will show up and I will get to explore that. I didn't bother to ask the seller what platform it was for... I figure if I don't already have a compatible system, I will just have to get one :D

So much to do!

edit: exile is Kuwait in August... 145 degrees! My company got there in the middle of Aug '06, about 12:30am and it was still 96. You really can't imagine it. It's an entirely different world. When we finally got to Iraq (Baghdad for me), I was actually talking about how much cooler it was, and it was 118!! I wouldn't wish Kuwait on anyone, especially a "wonderful" little place called Camp Buehring (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Buehring). My 15 months in Iraq were much preferable to the 15 days I spent there, even with the dust storms :P
__
Trevor

Unknown_K
July 19th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I have used ebay for 10 years with little if any problem, last month or so there have been 3 cases I had to have ebay go after (non shipment mostly). Last year I think I had one idiot who listed a motherboard for $10 shipping and $.99 opening bid. I won it because nobody else bid, he bitched cause it didn't cover his shipping so I let that slide and canceled that auction, he relisted it with a higher shipping charge. I could have made him ship but the board wasn't that important to me at the time (found a local replacement for the same money).

I think it is a mix of people thinking old machines are worth their weight in gold (going by a few high priced sellers) and the fact that they are flat broke and spent your money on other stuff instead of shipping their product. In desperate times there are too many people jumping on ebay who should not be sellers.

Chuck(G)
July 19th, 2010, 08:32 PM
exile is Kuwait in August... 145 degrees! My company got there in the middle of Aug '06, about 12:30am and it was still 96. You really can't imagine it. It's an entirely different world. When we finally got to Iraq (Baghdad for me), I was actually talking about how much cooler it was, and it was 118!! I wouldn't wish Kuwait on anyone, especially a "wonderful" little place called Camp Buehring (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Buehring). My 15 months in Iraq were much preferable to the 15 days I spent there, even with the dust storms

Betcha the natives say, "Yes, but it's a dry heat..." :)

Unknown_K
July 19th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I am sure the locals are used to it, takes weeks for somebody in a different climate to get somewhat used to that heat asuming they don't stroke out or sweat to death first.

Lord Moz
July 19th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I didn't have the pleasure to meet any of the natives. The Army likes to keep things all nice and segregated.

145 degrees is hot, but yes, it was a dry heat, as was the 118 in Baghdad. That said, I would take the 118 there than the 103 or so we've been having here in Ft Hood recently. 102 is miserable when your sweat doesn't want to evaporate. Makes lawn work oh-so-enjoyable :( Really miss my wonderful native Pacific-Northwest weather *sigh*

145 can go suck it, humid or not, I would be happy if I never had to suffer that again.
__
Trevor

Unknown_K
July 19th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Even 95F with a lot of humidity sucks, we have had a heatwave this summer in the NE.

EddieDX4
August 2nd, 2010, 03:21 PM
I didn't have the pleasure to meet any of the natives. The Army likes to keep things all nice and segregated.

145 degrees is hot, but yes, it was a dry heat, as was the 118 in Baghdad. That said, I would take the 118 there than the 103 or so we've been having here in Ft Hood recently. 102 is miserable when your sweat doesn't want to evaporate. Makes lawn work oh-so-enjoyable :( Really miss my wonderful native Pacific-Northwest weather *sigh*

145 can go suck it, humid or not, I would be happy if I never had to suffer that again.
__
Trevor

It's been sooooooo nice here in Seattle the past few days. Foggy in the morning, but once it breaks in the afternoon it remains in the high 70's, low 80's and sunny. Perfect weather. The Pacific NW misses you.

In regards to this ordeal, I have nothing but my sympathies for you. What angers me the most is not so much that the seller backed out of the deal but that the reason, as you pointed out, was likely his delusion after seeing a similar one posted for $889 or however much it is (I actually saw that listing, too...)

I get that a lot of vintage hardware is getting scarce, but that is the purpose of auction style listings... Let the market decide the demand. When sellers do what sellers have been doing as of late, the machines end up being relisted endlessly and never make it to a good home. Then, the monkey see monkey do syndrome kicks in and future listings will "demand" the ridiculous prices.

Most people who really appreciate these machines will pay a premium for them... But, even premiums have their limits, and the prices these sellers are imposing have stretched that notion to extremes.

Lord Moz
August 8th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Update: He relisted it for $999 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Xerox-820-II-16-8-Z80-8086-duel-8-rigid-Drive-/190428847699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0) starting bid, auction style.

I'm really thinking of taking him to small claims court now. This is really too much.
That's my machine. At the very least, I'm going to call eBay tomorrow and see if I can't get his account banned.

I'm so steamed now...
I need to get to bed.

:(
__
Trevor

Chuckster_in_Jax
August 9th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Update: He relisted it for $999 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Xerox-820-II-16-8-Z80-8086-duel-8-rigid-Drive-/190428847699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0) starting bid, auction style.

Very poor timing for this person to list that computer with a starting bid of $999. In the last couple of days, 2 VERY nice Xerox machines have been listed with a starting bid of $99. 1/10th what the other seller is asking.

I'm really thinking of taking him to small claims court now. This is really too much.
That's my machine. At the very least, I'm going to call eBay tomorrow and see if I can't get his account banned.

I'm so steamed now...
I need to get to bed.

__
Trevor

I would certainly pursue action against the seller. Unfortunately, the only satisfaction you may get from all of this is the seller banned from eBay and you still not getting the machine. Don't get too upset about what has happened here. I agree that what he did to you was real crappy. But really nice machines come available on eBay all the time, so keep your ear to the ground an you'll find something else.

In this day and age where "anything goes in making a buck", does it really surprise you? It's not just the heads of corporations. Plenty of their minions that work at all levels are quick to do the devil's bidding when money or job advancement is involved. And see where this country is now because of it.

Chuck

EddieDX4
August 9th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I would certainly pursue action against the seller. Unfortunately, the only satisfaction you may get from all of this is the seller banned from eBay and you still not getting the machine. Don't get too upset about what has happened here. I agree that what he did to you was real crappy. But really nice machines come available on eBay all the time, so keep your ear to the ground an you'll find something else.

In this day and age where "anything goes in making a buck", does it really surprise you? It's not just the heads of corporations. Plenty of their minions that work at all levels are quick to do the devil's bidding when money or job advancement is involved. And see where this country is now because of it.

Chuck

Agree with Chuck. It's not surprising, but still a very crappy thing for the seller to do. If it wasn't because I care about my eBay rep, I'd bid on it and then not follow through. See how he feels about it when it happens to him, instead.

alker
August 9th, 2010, 11:56 AM

I'm so steamed now...
I need to get to bed.

__
Trevor

Hi, I fear that the seller does not even get banned from ebay... they wont help you - this is my experience.

This behavior from the seller really sucks.. I hate such sellers.. his feedback looks pretty good - so he knew what he did ... he is not an ebay newbie; but he screwed you. We here in the forum can do someting to help you at least to get a little satisfaction back:

I reported now the xerox item as fraudulent auction - just click "report item" and choose fraudulent item.. or similar.. if more people do that ebay might end the auction.
In my experience you wont get the item until you go to court; so I'd give him a negative soon..

BR from europe

EddieDX4
August 9th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Hi, I fear that the seller does not even get banned from ebay... they wont help you - this is my experience.

This behavior from the seller really sucks.. I hate such sellers.. his feedback looks pretty good - so he knew what he did ... he is not an ebay newbie; but he screwed you. We here in the forum can do someting to help you at least to get a little satisfaction back:

I reported now the xerox item as fraudulent auction - just click "report item" and choose fraudulent item.. or similar.. if more people do that ebay might end the auction.
In my experience you wont get the item until you go to court; so I'd give him a negative soon..

BR from europe

Great and justified idea! I just sent back and reported it as fraudulent. Under the description I entered:

"This item was sold under a different listing, but the seller did not ship, relisted, inflated price."

Chuckster_in_Jax
August 9th, 2010, 05:23 PM
You first started this thread July 17th. Remember that there is a time limit to file a claim with eBay and PayPal! If you go over that time, they won't even talk to you. So, get a strategy soon on how you want to approach the claim.

Chuck

Lord Moz
August 10th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I called eBay (after 5 min finding the number & pin, then 10 levels of menus, and then 20 min of hold) and reported the new item.
The support lady said after they investigate there isn't really anyway they wouldn't remove the new listing, but she isn't the one to make that call.
She also said that it's usually 2-3 complaints like this before a seller is banned though, but it's possible on the first case, depending on how he reacts, etc.

She seemed very empathetic, and said she was an active eBay user as well and has had problems with sellers not completing sales.

Oh, and Mr. "srekeptrank" doesn't have 100% positive feedback any longer. This is the first time I've ever actually left negative feedback, and not just positive with unpleasant wording.

I guess it's back to waiting now... I hate waiting :(

Thanks for all the support though, everyone :)
__
Trevor

Chuck(G)
August 10th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Just don't let this run your life! The world is full of jerks; trust me, there's more than enough to go around.

Lord Moz
August 10th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Oh, it isn't - but I'm not going to let him off without any consequence either.

I'm really eyeing the other 16/8 that just showed up (http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Xerox-16-8-PC-docs-software-/110570884520?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0)... with 5 1/4 HD and floppies, and all its disks & docs :)

__
Trevor

mark66j
August 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I would not let a seller get away with this -- a "buy it now" is supposed to be a final transaction, end of story. Even auction cancellations and bid retractions are viewed dimly by eBay, but this is worse. The whole point of dealing through eBay (and paying their surcharges) is to not have to deal with this kind of BS. Otherwise, why not just use Craigslist?

Chuckster_in_Jax
August 15th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Oh, it isn't - but I'm not going to let him off without any consequence either.

I'm really eyeing the other 16/8 that just showed up (http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Xerox-16-8-PC-docs-software-/110570884520?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0)... with 5 1/4 HD and floppies, and all its disks & docs :)

__
Trevor

Well it looks like the one you originally bid on didn't sell at $999.99. The seller relisted it at the same price.
Any luck with bidding on the Xerox 16/8?

Lord Moz
August 16th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Yea, I noticed that. After reading my feedback he said he's going to sue me for slander... I'm not worried :p

I did bid on the other 16/8, but didn't win it. Probably a good thing. I really do have too many computers. So many projects and not enough time, or space, or (increasingly) money. *sigh*
I need to start working on my projects and not always getting more stuff or starting new projects :(

I'm taking (hopefully, have to see if it's approved this week) ~2 weeks off work next week, so we shall see what happens. A friend from HS is flying in, taking a break of his own, and we'll spend the first week together, just geeking around :p
The next week will be all me! No schedules or dern alarm clocks! Woohoooooo!!!

I'm hoping to rearrange my garage to make better use of my storage areas and be able to get at more things. Eventually I want to build an outbuilding in the back yard, but I want to design it modularly so it can be disassembled in case whomever buys the house later doesn't like it (plus acc. to the city, my entire backyard is a "green area and utility easement" in which nothing but green stuff can be placed...:rolleyes:
But I don't think anyone is gonna complain, and code enforcement is all complaint driven heh
There are sheds all over the neighborhood in the "green area and utility easement" anyway, as well as fences, which acc. to the permits dept, aren't supposed to be there anyway! lol

Crazy.

Anyway, I guess I'll have fun with my Kaypro 10 :) (oops... just bought a second one... *sigh* :p )
__
Trevor

Chuckster_in_Jax
August 16th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Saw the feedback you left and I thought it was appropriate. The seller's reply was nothing short of being weird.

"a mistake in my listing is not fraud, the love of money is the root of all evil"

If the love of money applies to anyone it should be the seller!