PDA

View Full Version : Zeliard hangs on start w/ joystick?

Raven
July 20th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I installed Zeliard on my 425, and decided to try it with a joystick for the first time. I selected "YES" to the relevant prompt in the installer, and then when I went to play the game, the screen blanked, and... stayed that way. I reinstalled using disk images I downloaded, and tried again - same result.

I then ran install again and toggled the joystick option off - it works now.

What I want to know is whether this is my machine's gameport, my joystick, or the game itself doing it. Can someone else who has Zeliard try running the game with a joystick and let me know if it works?

I've not used a joystick since the early 90s (generally I'm a keyboard man), and have never set one up myself, so I need someone who has a known-working setup to do this.

Thanks.

barythrin
July 21st, 2010, 08:05 AM
What operating system are you running this under? It's been way too long since I've troubleshot a joystick but I do recall that if in dos, msd.exe (microsoft diagnostics) will let you know that your game port is detected. Is there a chance that there is a resource conflict with another installed device? This is a neat article (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IO-Port-Programming-6.html) with some memory address locations. I don't normally do interfacing stuff but this and perhaps another tip could help you use debug and detect if it's detecting your joystick period. Although I suppose another game and trying the joystick selection may also help you with that conclusion.

- John

channelmaniac
July 21st, 2010, 08:10 AM
Hardware conflict?

How many cards do you have in the system? Back in the 486/Pentium 1 days there was the potential to have a game port on the multi-function I/O card AND one on the sound card... Maybe you have 2 at the same address?

Raven
July 21st, 2010, 01:31 PM
Actually yeah, I realize that I do have two gameports. I have a SB16 installed and the machine came with a gameport (but not sound) onboard. That's likely the problem. I'll need to disable the onboard one or figure out how to change the resources of the SB16 (Value)'s port. Good call.

Maverick1978
July 22nd, 2010, 06:04 AM
Back in the day, I used a Gravis GamePad with Zeliard all the time. Worked great. I just used the joystick port on the back of my sound card. Since then, when I feel nostalgic, I've just fired it up in DOSBox and used the keyboard... though I plan on changing that once I get my home office finished and can setup the vintage gaming machines like I want.

Do you have the poster-sized level map of Zeliard? - they weren't packaged with all releases of the game, and I'm not sure if the floppy torrents I've seen around have included it. Might be worth checking, and if not, updating that torrent.

Raven
July 22nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
The copy that I downloaded has it, but I don't have the physical poster myself.

There's a big fan site for Zeliard here (http://zeliardgame.tripod.com/download/) that has the poster as well as other things.

Maverick1978
July 23rd, 2010, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the link - I seem to recognize that site from quite some time back, probably the first time I was feeling nostalgic, and prior to my owning a USB floppy drive.. think I downloaded the game rip from there!

I'll double-check the poster I have - I don't think that the maps on that site are the same as mine. It was something I've only seen in a recent acquisition of the gam, I believe a first run (the copy I purchased back in the day was a Slash version, no maps, shoddy manual)

Did you get your gameport problem resolved? - I've been meaning to toss a Gravis dual-head gamecard into my 486 gaming machine - mainly because I have the card, not because I need it. I'll likely need to disable the gameport on the sound card, and run the MT-32 through the midi card.

Curious - what joystick do you use? I have the original Gravis Gamepad, but also have the old Gravis GRiP system - I didn't use the GRiP much, mainly just for X-Men CoTA and WWF Super Wrestlemania on my old Pentium-90. For flight sticks, I've several varieties, mostly Gravis and Saitek, and all picked up second-hand from Goodwills in the last few months.

Raven
July 23rd, 2010, 09:52 AM
Didn't get around to fixing that yet. I have some old Gravis joysticks - two buttons on the left, two buttons on the top of the stick, and a trigger - very distinctive. I remember having a red and black one but all the ones around the house I could find (save for a clear one I got more recently) were gold and black.

Anyway I don't know if I'll want to use that stick once I've got everything hooked up - I own quite a few for some reason, heh.