PDA

View Full Version : Dissapearing Text in this Mailer Program

Micom 2000
October 8th, 2005, 11:51 PM
What is it with this program that after crafting your Golden words, it loses
them forever through some inadvertent error while writing ?

I've had more than a dozen posts I've labored on suddenly dissappear and which I'm unable to recover.

Admittedly i am long-winded, but if after expressing a heartfelt conviction and the program eats it. I usually don't bother to repost.

NOT A GOOD "FEATURE". Aaaarrrgghhh !!!

It just did it again. Aarrrggghhhh !!

Lawrence

CP/M User
October 9th, 2005, 04:23 AM
"Micom 2000" wrote:

> What is it with this program that after crafting your Golden words, it
> loses them forever through some inadvertent error while writing ?

> I've had more than a dozen posts I've labored on suddenly dissappear
> and which I'm unable to recover.

> Admittedly i am long-winded, but if after expressing a heartfelt
> conviction and the program eats it. I usually don't bother to repost.

> NOT A GOOD "FEATURE". Aaaarrrgghhh !!!

> It just did it again. Aarrrggghhhh !!

Very rarely, I had a simular problem with Outlook Express. What
happened was the computer crashed in such a way the file Outlook used
got corrupt. When Outlook tried to read it (after rebooting) it just
wouldn't take it & create a simular file, which obviously had nothing in it.

It was possible to savage the original contents from the old file into a Text
Editor or something, but it was very fiddley (with all the formatting
Outlook used & stuff). But my main point was the file was still there, so
perhaps it's still there?

Cause some program completely ignore the whole Autosave format &
even Office I've found to be weird at trying to recover a file after a crash
in some cases I think the crash was too servere do anything & the
software just flipped?

CP/M User.

carlsson
October 9th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Lawrence, do you refer to the forum software run on this site? It seems that there is a "cookie" set every time you access a page, and if you have not been to a page in a while (i.e. writing a message), you will be timed out and requested to log in, thus losing the text you wrote.

A tip: Right before you're about to post a reply or a new message, point at the logotype in the upper left corner or somewhere else. Click with the right mouse button and choose to open in a new window. That will fork the browsing into one more window.

In this "spare" window, check the user area right below the forum header, i.e. where it says if you have new messages and you can click to log out. If it appears like you're still logged in, everything should be fine and you can go back to the original window and post the message.

If the new window says "Log in", it means you were timed out by the system. Log in again from this window. Since it was started from the same browser session, the refreshed timeout cookies will be valid for both windows.

I've been bitten by this too, and sworn over long messages being lost both here and at other forums. For me, this approach to open or have an extra window to ensure I'm still logged in seems to work very well.

Micom 2000
October 9th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the tip. Makes sense. What I have done on some newsgroups and forums is to cut and paste using notepad. That way if the forum software eats it you still have it on notepad. A bit of a pain tho.

Lawrence

Micom 2000
October 13th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Your tips just saved me a lot of grief. I had written a long message in answer to an e-mail in yahoo, and when I pressed "send' I got a ""site is not available message". A "previous site" got me back to my message entry where I was able to copy "my words of wisdom" and all subsequent
attempts, including a new browser gave me either the site is not available or expired message. Hopefully this same thing will work with future Web-Mail glitches. This is why I prefer my Pegasus e-mail program, but this does give me renewed confidence in web-mail.

Thank you, thankyou

Lawrence

vic user
October 14th, 2005, 04:01 AM
What I have done on some newsgroups and forums is to cut and paste using notepad

yay! someone else who uses that trick!

chris

carlsson
October 15th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Yes, I believe most kinds of webmail and other sites will work in a similar way. If nothing else, it doesn't hurt trying the right click method.

Sometimes, the network is slow or the connection appears to be broken. In those cases, it may be good to have a backup copy of your text even if you didn't take long time writing it.