PDA

View Full Version : Ps/2 Model 30 8086

k2x4b524[
July 29th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Does anyone else have one of these bad-boys? If so, which chips are the rom chips and what are their layout?

IBMMuseum
July 29th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Does anyone else have one of these bad-boys? If so, which chips are the rom chips and what are their layout?

I have several of them...

For the ROM chips, I can say a thousand words (http://ibmmuseum.com/david/ps2/model30/Model30BIOS.jpg)...

I think there was two BIOS versions, it is very specific to the Model 30 8086...

k2x4b524[
July 30th, 2010, 12:01 PM
LOL Awesome, do you know if they are Even and Odd? I just got finished testing a 3rd bios on a generic xt style board, and would like to put it in my model 30, to see if it will work for shits and giggles.

IBMMuseum
July 30th, 2010, 12:38 PM
LOL Awesome, do you know if they are Even and Odd? I just got finished testing a 3rd bios on a generic xt style board, and would like to put it in my model 30, to see if it will work for shits and giggles.

Even more amazing is that I had the picture up for years without remembering I took it...

Be aware that from that BIOS it runs a planar RTC with a unique address, the odd planar MCGA video, the odd planar HDD interface, a planar FDC, and has an I/O port to shut off and turn on most of those features. It is very different from the XT design (and doesn't have configuration DIP switches). To understand everything you would need a Model 30 Hardware Reference (which I have, and it helped me to know of the list I have above).

As I said, the BIOS was very specific to the Model 30...

k2x4b524[
July 30th, 2010, 04:35 PM
oooo, scratch that then...