PDA

View Full Version : Another rant



Vlad
October 11th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Whats with these people who join the fourm and then never post anything? Why even bother to join if your not going to post anything? At least post an introduction in the intro section. You can browse the fourm with out signing up. Whats with these people?

Erik
October 11th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Many of them have listed completely unrelated web sites. I guess they think it's a way of getting some cheap inbound links.

I've considered going through and purging these folks, but what's the point? It's work for me and there's no real payoff. . .

/shrug

Erik

vic user
October 12th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Maybe some people like to just get info or lurk, and if they become a member, then everytime they visit, the forum will indicate if any new messages have been posted since they last visited.

that feature would not be very effective i think if they did not become a member.

chris

CP/M User
October 13th, 2005, 01:57 PM
"vlad" wrote:

> Whats with these people who join the fourm and then never post
> anything? Why even bother to join if your not going to post anything?
> At least post an introduction in the intro section. You can browse the
> fourm with out signing up. Whats with these people?

I reckonise one of the early members, who's put some input on
comp.os.cpm but said nothing here. I've PMed them a couple of times,
but get no responce, in actual fact they haven't even checked in to look at
the messages they have.

I can only guess they have their e-mail notifications turned off, otherwise
they'd probably check it.

Send PMs to everyone with 0 posts & see what happens! ;-) Some may
have notifications turned on & come to check!

I might start some now, on page 1 (their've been around long enough).

CP/M User.

CP/M User
October 13th, 2005, 02:38 PM
"CP/M User" wrote:

> Send PMs to everyone with 0 posts & see what happens! ;-) Some may
> have notifications turned on & come to check!

> I might start some now, on page 1 (their've been around long enough).

Okay, I just sent a PM to most of the 0s (excluding the one I know who won't reply & a couple of obvious test members).

The message I sent them reads as follows:


Greetings,

Since Erik's Vintage Computer Forum Began in April 2003, many people have signed up & while there is a large Memberlist we have a dedicated group of posters who add to various topics. Lots of the topics range into Vintage Computer discussions, however we also have many General Topics of discussion & even if you need to blow off some steam we also have a rants section (for people to get stuff off their chest).

So why not pop by sometime & see what's happening at this Vintage Computer Forum, as the name suggest we have discussions about Vintage Computers, but we more or less talk about anything!

Hope to hear from you!

I just had a "Hello" in the title along with a name (if available). Even if I get one or two replies, I guess the excerise will have been worth it.

I'll see what happens first, one other thing I noticed was some of those 0 posters have provided Websites & E-mails, maybe they could be contacted via this system. I'll try then if they haven't replied to the PMs.

Erik, if it comes to a stage where I do get an e-mail from their webpage & get a responce from their direct e-mail & some of them want to visit, but have forgotten their Username or Password could those people get their Password? I know we need to be 100% sure these are the people who signed up here, or is there another way you can check from their details & ask them a question?

CP/M User.

Erik
October 13th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Erik, if it comes to a stage where I do get an e-mail from their webpage & get a responce from their direct e-mail & some of them want to visit, but have forgotten their Username or Password could those people get their Password? I know we need to be 100% sure these are the people who signed up here, or is there another way you can check from their details & ask them a question?

Absolutely. If I can identify them I can reset the password.

There is an automated system in place, of course, but sometimes it doesn't work. . .

Erik

Vlad
October 13th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Wow I admire how hard you've worked on contacting these people. Hopefully we can get atleast 2 active members out of this whole thing. We'll just have to wait and see....

-Vlad

CP/M User
October 15th, 2005, 04:06 AM
"vlad" wrote:

> Wow I admire how hard you've worked on contacting these people.
> Hopefully we can get atleast 2 active members out of this whole thing.
> We'll just have to wait and see....

On that note, I just wanted to draw to everyones attention that people
aren't robots (people forget) & make a duty to visit. For people who lurk
the Programmers Hevean & GamesHippo, they might think I'm some
slacker who can't be bothered posting as the 'DOS games fan', I just
forget usually. And then some people like to get Friendly Messages from
their forums (not that I'm critising Erik's style).

So IMO, I think we should give some of these people the "benefit of the
doubt".

As a result of my PMs, this forum has recieved new posts from one of our
long-termed members (>18 months).

CP/M User.

carlsson
October 15th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I agree with Erik, many new users sign up to promote their or someone elses site. If the forum is not indexed by search spiders or possibly not even readable for guests, that business would soon end. Not that it matters much as long as they only put a casino link into their signature. For all we know, it may be a casino where payout is in form of vintage computer parts rather than money or vouchers.

Hmm.. I'm trying to imagine World Poker Tour on TV where they bet floppies, ribbon cables and go all in with a matrix printer. Of course they have chips too, but not the variety one normally will see... :wink:

CP/M User
October 15th, 2005, 01:10 PM
"carlsson" wrote:

> I agree with Erik, many new users sign up to promote their or someone
> elses site. If the forum is not indexed by search spiders or possibly not
> even readable for guests, that business would soon end. Not that it
> matters much as long as they only put a casino link into their signature.
> For all we know, it may be a casino where payout is in form of vintage
> computer parts rather than money or vouchers.

Yeah I noticed one poster (that seemed to be posting information which
wasn't relevalent to the other posts), which was flogging some Casino in
their signature. I suspect those ones are a bit more dubious.

But having checked the members I posted on Page 1 of the Memberlist, I
found the ones there to have more valid websites & I suspect most (if not
all) of them would have got Erik's messages from Usenet & from perhaps
other forums. The Zero posters there seem to have websites which are
genuine hobbyist websites, sure it's promoting their website, but it's all
interesting stuff, which could apply.
Some of these people actually had me thinking that they might put a
great deal of time in what they do & have little time or just forget to visit
(which is very easy to do - not that I've forgotten about this forum). They
certainally weren't out to promote junk.

> Hmm.. I'm trying to imagine World Poker Tour on TV where they bet
> floppies, ribbon cables and go all in with a matrix printer. Of course
> they have chips too, but not the variety one normally will see... ;)

Well, I stand behind my reasons, certainally not 100% of new members
are out to sign-up to simply forget about it, I agree with that, but for
some of the others which look more genuine potential posters - who
aren't advertising any sites, it's reasonible to say they have their reasons
as to why they don't visit as often. For the couple of websites I saw
though, they seem to have genuine hobbyist connections which could
easily stretch into Vintage computing.
I also noticed a couple of those members also listed interests which may
have little discussion input, not sure if this would explain why they don't
post, though it could potentially shed more light/views & discussions.