PDA

View Full Version : Tseng ET-1000 MDA/HGC card

commodorejohn
August 4th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I've come into possession of a little half-length ISA video card. At first I thought it was a plain old MDA clone, since it drives the monochrome monitor I got it with, but after looking on the board, I noticed that it had 64KB of RAM - way too much for text mode! After looking into it, I've come to the conclusion that it's a Tseng Labs ET-1000 (this card. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ET1000-A.JPG)) This is plenty cool, but unfortunately, I can't find squat for documentation on the thing. No big deal, since it works fine as is, but I'd like to find out what the jumpers up by the mono connector are for, and whether any of them would need to be changed for this to coexist with an EGA/VGA board. Does anyone know where I can find some documentation on this thing?

k2x4b524[
August 4th, 2010, 03:28 PM
this is what you have

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/C-D/DIAMOND-FLOWER-INC-Monochrome-MG-150-MONOGRAPHICS.html

I have one, it can do color and mono, they say a 15-pin video connector, but you know otherwise, it's 9 pin, sometimes misinformation gets through on the spec sites. it has 64kb because is'a a cga card aswell

commodorejohn
August 4th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Huh, interesting. So it's an MDA + CGA, then? I don't suppose it supports Hercules graphics modes as part of the MDA compatibility...

k2x4b524[
August 4th, 2010, 04:17 PM
i don't know on that one, you'd have to look at the ET1000 datasheet and chip specs for it, i'm not sure on it

commodorejohn
August 9th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Well, I ran a quick Hercules test I threw together on it, and it works like a charm. Now I just want to figure out if the extra RAM can be used in color mode for Tandy or EGA-type modes...

Captain Midnight
August 11th, 2010, 05:49 PM
EGA requires 128k I believe so I think you are out of luck there; I think Tandy also used 128k of RAM, but then again Tandy's graphics system was an extension of CGA architecture so you might get pleasantly surprised.

k2x4b524[
August 11th, 2010, 06:29 PM
wouldn't the et1000 have to support TANDY or EGA modes to utilize the ram?

commodorejohn
August 12th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Not necessarily. The Hercules support itself is sufficient to explain the 64KB (two video pages x 32KB,) I'm just wondering if any other modes are supported. Tandy modes would make perfect sense, since they're just an extension of CGA, but I need to get my PCjr monitor hacked up to work with a normal CGA connector to test that theory.

commodorejohn
June 9th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Coming back to this thread, because I'm having a heck of a time getting my other Hercules card to work with my EGA/VGA card and I thought I'd give this one a try - I've found on an old Dell support page (http://support.dell.com/support/systemsinfo/document.aspx?~file=/dta/mg150/00000006.htm) that there's a utility called mg.com for this card that can put it into Hercules "half" mode, where it limits the memory range it occupies so as to coexist peacefully with other cards. But the Dell site doesn't seem to have the driver (being one of those poorly-maintained legacy support archives and all.) Does anybody know where I can find mg.com for this card?

per
June 9th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Try this. It's the drivers for the Hercules+, but the mode changing should work with all hercules compatible cards.

HGC.COM is the main control utility.