PDA

View Full Version : Counting my chickens... Picking up a NOS IBM PC Jr tonight...

Maverick1978
August 5th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Found the guy on a classified... and he's 90 minutes away. His grandparents recently passed, and he discovered it in their closet all boxed up and sealed. He cracked the cases this afternoon after we spoke, and they're new/shrink-wrapped. Includes the monitor, computer, keyboard, all manuals and docs - am really hoping for the full gamut of guide to operations, cart basic, hardware ref guide, etc. No expansions, however, but dang - how often does one run across a new Jr? And, he's not looking for much on it, best of all.

Will hopefully find that it's at least a complete/working system when I get there, but if NIB, will have pix soon - that'll be sweet! Will get to play my PC Jr King's Quest on a real Jr :)

geoffm3
August 5th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Very nice! Send pics when you get it all. I can almost smell the new smell. ;)

Unknown_K
August 5th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Kind of odd don't you think? I know some people might have purchased one and used it a little then moved on to something else and just stuck it in the closet since they paid a decent amount for it, but few people buy or get an expensive machine like that and don't even open it up.

Dave Farquhar
August 5th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I hesitate to say one-of-a-kind, but yeah, it's very hard to imagine very many people dropped a grand on a computer in 1984, then put it straight into the closet, never to be touched again for a quarter century. By all means see if he knows any of the story behind it, like if it had been intended as a gift never given or something like that.

EddieDX4
August 5th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Could be "as new" in box... I've had a few CL disappointments where someone claims they have an item that's new in box, but when I go check it out it is clearly used.

But, if it's a super clean PCjr with all original hardware, software, and documentation, it is still a great find! Just, not worth the "NIB" premium...

Maverick1978
August 5th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Guys... I'm currently sitting in a parking lot while the guy is at grandma's checking for the missing Basic manual and setup manual. I asked about the guide to operations, dos, etc - he said those seemed familiar and he would look for those too. He volunteered a nib ibm printer as well. Amazing...

It IS nib. The boxes were opened, monitor never removed, computer never opened - its still got the factory seal on the wrap, and the plastic pallet wrap thingies around the computer (the stuff that has a tab that you peel back and the wrap 'breaks'?) - basic manual and setup manual were removed from the main box. Sampler disk is packed in with computer, and monitor manual is in with monitor.

I'm utterly amazed - wish my blackberry would easily post pics here for you all to see! - but patience is a virtue :)

As for the story, he's unsure why its unsed. Not sure whether it was never gifted, bought and lost interest or what. He did say that his grandfather was a collector of stuff, and has gobs of it. Gma is alive and doesn't like strangers or I'd be over there digging with him :) wonder if he finds a sidecar or other optional equipment for it? That would be too cool!

-----

OK. After the guy got back from grandma's, he calls to tell me that he didn't find the manuals - yet, though he's sure that they're there. Apparently grandpa's room is full to the bursting point, and they have to move things out into the hall to even step foot into the room. He did find a few other things:

two NOS unused printers, an HP ThinkJet, and an IBM (unsure of the model yet). All papers are with both products, though the ThinkJet is without the box, and the box on the IBM printer is trashed.

A Mac Performa 785d (I think) - made in 1994, has a CD and HD on it. Hopefully a 720k floppy I can put into my PC :)

A keyboard of unknown origins. OLD. Looks to be 70's tech to me. No identifying marks, or company. Am rather curious to crack it open and see what it is. There are wires hanging from it with pin connectors (multiple ones). It was part of something - unknown as to what.

Guy says that there's more computer stuff, but the overhead light is broken in the room, and he couldn't see well as it was getting dark. He'll be calling if/when he finds more. I'm still hopeful that he'll find the manuals for the PCJr and maybe even a DOS 2.1 in the binder (it's missing from my PC DOS collection).

As for the PCJr... I'm leaning towards selling it. I wouldn't mind having one, but I just can't see keeping this particular unit, given the premium that a new unit would command. So I'll be thinking about it...with that said, if anyone would like to PM me offers, please feel free to do so. As for pix, I'll hopefully have some up tomorrow. Right now, it's 1am here, and it's been a long day with alot of driving :)

EddieDX4
August 6th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Guys... I'm currently sitting in a parking lot while the guy is at grandma's checking for the missing Basic manual and setup manual. I asked about the guide to operations, dos, etc - he said those seemed familiar and he would look for those too. He volunteered a nib ibm printer as well. Amazing...

It IS nib. The boxes were opened, monitor never removed, computer never opened - its still got the factory seal on the wrap, and the plastic pallet wrap thingies around the computer (the stuff that has a tab that you peel back and the wrap 'breaks'?) - basic manual and setup manual were removed from the main box. Sampler disk is packed in with computer, and monitor manual is in with monitor.

I'm utterly amazed - wish my blackberry would easily post pics here for you all to see! - but patience is a virtue :)
As for the PCJr... I'm leaning towards selling it. I wouldn't mind having one, but I just can't see keeping this particular unit, given the premium that a new unit would command. So I'll be thinking about it...with that said, if anyone would like to PM me offers, please feel free to do so. As for pix, I'll hopefully have some up tomorrow. Right now, it's 1am here, and it's been a long day with alot of driving :)

Great find! I'm glad it turned out to be a legit advertisement. :)

I'm sure this will generate interest... Pictures will guarantee that!

k2x4b524[
August 6th, 2010, 01:18 PM
indeed pictures, i want to see what a NIB PCjr looks like, un opened aswell :D

Maverick1978
August 7th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Pictures taken; will update this comment with a link when they're edited and uploaded somewhere.

Guess somewhere is Picasa :) (http://picasaweb.google.com/117687841078067209920)

I've 4 albums there, one for the PC Jr/Monitor, one for each of two NOS printers (one an IBM 5152 Graphic Printer), and one for an unknown keyboard that I'm hopeful someone can identify - I'm pretty positive that it's a keyboard from a luggable portable, possibly a Kaypro - but am hopeful that someone here can identify it for sure, or better yet put it to use for parts (though visibly, it's in decent shape, and the keys certainly feel responsive). Also, on the printers, note that the boxes are trashed, but present. Boxes on the PC Jr/Monitor do have marks - dents from sitting on wire shelving, shelf wear, etc.

All of this is up for grabs... Please PM offers. If they don't go here, then to eBay they go!

mikerm
August 7th, 2010, 09:17 PM
A Mac Performa 785d (I think) - made in 1994, has a CD and HD on it. Hopefully a 720k floppy I can put into my PC :)

Sorry, not compatible. :)

Great find though! I would offer for the jr but I'm too strapped for cash.