PDA

View Full Version : PalmZip driver... Author's site looks dated... Is it still safe to purchase?

EddieDX4
August 6th, 2010, 01:52 AM
I found a few posts related to the PalmZip driver that allows ZIP 100 drives to work on machines pre-286. I tested the demo and it works with my Epson branded Zip100 drive (nice and beige), and my Compaq Portable.

My question is, since it seems the author has not updated the site since 2008, is it still safe to send him money? I'd like to buy the full version but I'm afraid the money will go into a blackhole.

Also, the link to pay opens up the German PayPal site.

Has anyone purchased this recently that can confirm it's still safe?

Thanks!

Jorg
August 6th, 2010, 02:57 AM
send him a mail?

I had some contact with him a few years ago, but the driver does not support ZIP250.

Of course paypal is German, he is a German :)

EddieDX4
August 6th, 2010, 09:18 AM
send him a mail?

I had some contact with him a few years ago, but the driver does not support ZIP250.

Of course paypal is German, he is a German :)

I did send him an email. And, yea, I get the whole German bit... I just want to make sure I send money to the right person, and ultimately, get my non-limited copy of PalmZip. :)

I wouldn't need to go through all of this if the Compaq Portable was socketted, since I have a V20 laying around. Oh well.

EddieDX4
August 6th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Received a reply from Klaus, and he sounded like a very nice individual. I just sent him money so hopefully I'll have my hands on the non-limited version of PalmZIP sometime this weekend. I have a few zip disks full of old DOS games. :-D

It's also wayyyy easier to transfer files from my other PC's (I have an internal ZIP 100 on my DOS gaming desktop, and 2x USB based Zip250's on my modern machines...though the latter write to Zip100 disk really slow).

EddieDX4
August 6th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Super quick turnaround! He just emailed me the zip!

I'm glad he was still around. This is a great solution and will enhance the whole experience using my Portable.

southbird
August 6th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I had the same experience when I wanted it about six months ago or so. Yeah, he really ought to make some kind of change to his page to look lively. :)

EddieDX4
August 6th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I had the same experience when I wanted it about six months ago or so. Yeah, he really ought to make some kind of change to his page to look lively. :)

I figure he's a REAL developer... Web "development", in turn, is not one of his virtues. :-D

But, at least, change the "Last updated" date to show something more recent than 2008.

Micom 2000
August 6th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Klaus Peichl is a great guy and immensely talented developer. as most who have dealt with him will tell you. As well as the PalmZip he did one for Atari Portfolios and numerous other Pofo projects. I picked up the Pofo one from him about 6 years ago and he also threw in a free fix so my Sharp PC3000 could also use it. At that time Best Electronics(Atari) was selling his product for almost 4 times as much. One of the unsung I.T. heroes.

Lawrence

EddieDX4
August 6th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Klaus Peichl is a great guy and immensely talented developer. as most who have dealt with him will tell you. As well as the PalmZip he did one for Atari Portfolios and numerous other Pofo projects. I picked up the Pofo one from him about 6 years ago and he also threw in a free fix so my Sharp PC3000 could also use it. At that time Best Electronics(Atari) was selling his product for almost 4 times as much. One of the unsung I.T. heroes.

Lawrence

I'm glad I extended my support as a customer. I hope that, like me, there's others still finding his site and going straight to their PayPal accounts.