PDA

View Full Version : Siemens PC-D - What OS? What pinouts?

MCbx
August 9th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Yesterday I got a Siemens PC-D (something about it can be read in German here: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens_PC-D) 186-based PC-(not much)-compatible computer, but with no monitor or keyboard. All I know is that the keyboard was in fact some kind of terminal one, transmitting RS-422 and the monitor socket is incompatible with PC monitors.
I'm looking for any information about this computer.
Inside, it looks more like a Robotron 1715 than a PC. Many things are the same (for example sytem expansion technique, power supply design).
Will normal DOS 2.11 work?
What is a pinout of which connector (Which one is for monitor, mouse, and keyboard and where are which signals)? Of course they aren't labeled.
After turned on, the row of diagnostic LEDS on the front panel (below reset/debug buttons) blinks for about 2-3 seconds and stays on one combination.

Chuck(G)
August 9th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Can't say much about the PC-D, but I do have a number of Siemens PG-6xx series CNC controller floppies here and they appear to use CP/M-86.

MCbx
August 9th, 2010, 07:35 AM
PC-D is not much CP/M compatible, as there's 186 processor. Oroginally there was some revision of MS-DOS 2.11 and even Windows (1.x or 2.x).

Chuck(G)
August 9th, 2010, 08:26 AM
What does a 186 CPU have to do with CP/M-86 compatibility? Plenty of early 186 systems ran CP/M-86 and didn't run MS-DOS until later. If anything, CP/M-86 ran on a wider range of hardware than MS-DOS ever did.