PDA

View Full Version : Is $50 a good deal for a Compaq LTE286?

TanruNomad
August 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Theres someone locally offering me it for $50. Should I take it or wait for a better deal? From what she's said, the computer is in perfect condition and comes with the original case. Dos 6.02 is installed

Captain Midnight
August 11th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Personally, that's a little high for my taste since it's a local pickup. I think I paid about $35 for its predecessor (Portable III) with carrying case, its original disks and manuals; however, I consider that a lucky find. For local pickup, I'd go $40. Anyone else with me on that? I will give one caveat: if they threw in, say, Compaq DOS 3.31, then I'd consider the $50 price, mainly because Compaq DOS 3.31 is somewhat highly sought after and having a working copy, especially with a genuine Compaq, definately has value.

Unknown_K
August 11th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Do you know what those models look like? Around 7 lbs and are grayscale CGA with a small HD. Take perfect condition with a grain of salt, you need to look it over to make up your own mind. Make sure the internal battery has not leaked all over everything. Power brick looks proprietary.

http://www.overclockers.com/compaq-lte-286-model-40/

If it is complete and working I guess $50 isn't too bad.

TanruNomad
August 11th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably go check it out, but unless its almost flawless, not pay that much for it. Its funny you mention DOS 3.31, someone on this board just sent me a copy of it and it arrived today!

Raven
August 11th, 2010, 06:53 PM
When you see it, and it isn't flawless, talk them down. Since you're already there and looking, they're bound to sell it to you for less.

antiquekid3
August 11th, 2010, 07:13 PM
When you see it, and it isn't flawless, talk them down. Since you're already there and looking, they're bound to sell it to you for less.

Yes, that's quite true. I talked a guy selling a McIntosh amplifier and some Klipsch speakers down from $950 to $350. Amazing! :-)

Kyle

Captain Midnight
August 12th, 2010, 04:19 PM
And if you do choose the system, I'd put DOS 3.31 on it instead of DOS 6. For all intents and purposes, 3.31 will do most of the basic functions of DOS 6, but take up way less disk space, which you will probably need on an LTE 286, which I think either had 20 or 40 MB hard drives.