PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell me what this is please?

pomtiddlyompom2
October 17th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Hello all, I wonder if you could help me.

I have recently come into possession of a huge 'object' which was being thrown out. I thought it was too beautiful to be chucked out and rescued it. I wonder if anyone could tell me what it is, and if anyone would want it? Much as i love it I dont have enough room for it, but I have no idea if such things are collectable or scrap metal. Its got SE data 5000 on the side.

Any information gratefully recieved!

Photos at http://l-prinkle.magix.net/ under my vacation and my friends (bizarre glitch with the site, promise i do have friends!)

Erik
October 17th, 2005, 02:43 PM
This looks like a reel to reel tape deck to me, but there's something else there.

I couldn't read all of the markings, but at least one button read "Rec."

The real question (pardon the pun) is what else did it do?

What other text can you find on it?

Erik

pomtiddlyompom2
October 17th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Wow, what a quick reply!

Im a total novice with these things as you can no doubt tell.

Buttons say RDY, STOP, RUN, FAST and REC. The top dial is tape speed. Theres a switch with servo, and two lights at the bottom saying TACHO and TAPE.

I was told that it had hardly ever been used and should be in perfect condition but I dont have the nerve to plug it in!!! Theres possibly a manual for it but weve been looking for days and not found it. It came from a university.

You like?

pomtiddlyompom2
October 17th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Oh, and a dirty old papersticker on the back saying SE LABS (EMI) LIMITED

vbriel
October 17th, 2005, 03:15 PM
That's definately a reel to reel tape recorder/player. My brother had one in the 70's, real pain.

EvanK
October 17th, 2005, 07:08 PM
>>>> My brother had one in the 70's, real pain.

"real" pain...? No pun intended, huh Vince? :)

PS -- my rep 1 still works, haven't had time to find a new LCD for it.

vbriel
October 17th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Hey Evan,

Not to go off topic but I had somebody post a link for 4" LCD for pretty low price. It appears the smaller LCD's really chop off the picture every few pixels creating a bad picture for text. I bet a 7" would look good.

pomtiddlyompom2
October 18th, 2005, 03:16 AM
Hello everyone, thanks.

Is it the kind of thing anyone would want?!

vic user
October 18th, 2005, 05:58 AM
i would love to have it, but i don't think we live in the same area, so i am incapable of pursuing this with you.

too bad.

chris

pomtiddlyompom2
October 18th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Would love to find out how much it would cost to ship something that heavy from Scotland to Canada! It took three fully grow men to lift it into the van!

NathanAllan
October 18th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Look for connectors on it, and that could tell you if it is for audio or data. Post what kinds of connectors it has, and that'll give us a clue. You can look up weird plugs with google using keywords such as "15-pin d connector" or "round connector [w/measurement]) or "square plug #-pin)

Nathan

vic user
October 18th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Would love to find out how much it would cost to ship something that heavy from Scotland to Canada! It took three fully grow men to lift it into the van!

:shock:

i am just guessing, but i am going to say somewhere in the vicinity of $1,000 CDN?

chris

carlsson
October 18th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Oh, I didn't see that it was so large. Three men to lift it? I thought it was more or less a traditional open reel tape recorder. My dad has one of those, and it is small enough to carry as hand luggage on an airplane or likewise. What is the dimension on the tapes?

But I know how certain things can be heavier than they look. Many years ago I encountered some kind of power transformer or whatever it was. It was not larger than you could carry it in your hands, but the weight.. we were three people trying to lift it, but we decided to leave it where it was, as we had no real use for it anyway.

Computer Collector
October 18th, 2005, 08:38 PM
i WISH i HAD ONE OF THOSE. THERE PRETTY COOL.

Micom 2000
October 18th, 2005, 09:09 PM
I would suspect that it's a Video Tape Recorder. These were used by many of the larger TV broadcast stations. They were the predecessors of VCR and the other later methods of recording video images. I rescued an Ampex VTR from the curbside which had belonged to CBC many years ago. However it was hopelessly beyond my ability to resuscitate it at the time. I salvaged several unique motors from it which I still have.(incurable packrat)

The width of the tape would also suggest that. Audio didn't need a tape of such width.

Here's a couple of URLs;

http://www.terramedia.co.uk/Chronomedia/picture_pages/ampex_VTR.htm

http://www.sony.net/Fun/SH/1-7/h2.html

Lawrence

pomtiddlyompom2
October 20th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Hi all, thanks for all ideas.

Good news is that I've finally got hold of the two manuals for it, hurray! :D All covered in manky dust accumulated over the last 30 years. Will update you all on the contents when i get home this evening.

It is massive, its just below chest high on me and I'm a shade under six foot.

Micom 2000
October 21st, 2005, 11:03 AM
OK, now that you have the manuals, could you tell us what it is ?

Lawrence

vbriel
October 22nd, 2005, 05:43 AM
It could be a VTR, I used one in the 70's in a middleschool class but there would be a video out line and a video in line on the back. They look amost identical to reel to reel but have some video controls for image too.

pomtiddlyompom2
October 23rd, 2005, 09:04 AM
Hey all,

Right, here we go. Ill copy out some bits from manual(two folders worth).

The SE series 5000 Instrumentation Recording System

"the TD10 Mk. 3 is a compact, precision, instrumentation tape-transport, which provides the tape handling for the Series 5000 tape-recording system. The tape-transport is capable of bi-directional operation, and can transport either 12.7mm wide or 25.4mm wide tape, at any one of eight standard switch-selected speeds. 2

"the electronics systems that are incorporated in the tape-transport can be divided as follows;
relay logic system
capstan servo system
spool motor servo system
end of tape detection and auto follow systems"

and an interesting bit in the section about tape and tach mode; "tape mode is particularly useful during playback of recordings that have been made in the field i.e. away from ideal laboratory recording conditions. "

Have to snigger a bit at the compact and portable claim - although it does have plastic handles on the side, and presumably was small in its day!

The manuals are dated feb 1972

mpatoray
October 23rd, 2005, 08:38 PM
Hi,

What you have there is an Analog data recorder, it uses FM recording and the frequency respose is normally form DC to around 50 kHz for a 30 IPS recorder. NASA used them for recording telemetry data comming form the Apollo missions, although they used Ampex and HP recorders. It needs special instermentation tape to be used, and then I am not sure for what, although there are guys who have converted instermentation recorders into audio recorders it is NOT easy and NOT cheap.

Matt

olddataman
November 12th, 2005, 05:36 AM
It could be an analog data recorder similar to the products of Sangamo and others. Do a google sarch on IEI. That name is familiar to my ancient head. They were similar to studio recorders but had high precision electronics and very accuate speed cmtrol over a broad range. They also used wide tape---about an inch or more. They were very expensive.
Good Luck
Ray

ASlater
July 29th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Hey all,

Right, here we go. Ill copy out some bits from manual(two folders worth).

The SE series 5000 Instrumentation Recording System .......

I have an SE7000 which I also rescued from a scrapyard a few years ago. It has the general look of your machine.

I have used it to make audio recordings both on the one 1" tape which came with it and also using 1/2" computer tapes (by adapting the hubs and tape guides).

If you are still considering plugging it in, the only thing to watch out for is that if it's anything like mine, it will trip any RCD (safety) devices you might have in your electrical system. It seems to take an initial unbalanced current which the RCD sees as a fault. I wired up a socket independent of the RCD and I use that, without problems.

My machine has lately developed a fault which prevents it operating at the normal "play" speeds - the only forward speed is fast forward.

I have been trying to find a manual for my machine to no avail, and wondered if your manual includes circuit diagrams and / or maintenance / fault finding instructions. Although the models are different, the circuits will probably be similar, and if you could copy the relevant sections of your data, it might assist me in repairing it. (I would, of course, re-imburse your costs.)

Andrew Slater

pomtiddlyompom2
October 13th, 2006, 08:31 AM
if you could copy the relevant sections of your data, it might assist me in repairing it. (I would, of course, re-imburse your costs.)

Andrew Slater

IF you are still around let me know what to look for I can scan and send :-)

ASlater
December 8th, 2006, 11:32 PM
IF you are still around let me know what to look for I can scan and send :-)

Thanks for that - I actually managed to 'repair' it - by removing all the servo cards and then replacing them - obviously a bad contact somewhere. Since I'm not desperate for information any more and the model isn't the same, then it's probably not worth going to the trouble of scanning anything. Many thanks anyway.

Did you try powering yours up?