PDA

View Full Version : Text Adventure Favorites? / GET LAMP?

billdeg
August 21st, 2010, 04:44 PM
I recently got my PDP 8e to run Adventure! an early text-based interactive fiction game. This is the game that coined the phrase "text adventure", right?

My PDP 8e had a bad serial card, but I was able to find another one and re-wire it for 9600 baud. I was finally able to try out the system and practically the first thing I did was run Adventure! (from RK05 disk). Very exciting to witness the PDP 8 in action after 9 months of delays to get the thing running.

Anyway...given the new video GET LAMP! by Jason Scott, this thread is a call to people here for screen shots of their favorite adventure games in action, especially Adventure! if you have it.

I will start it off with a photo or two of my VT-52 terminal running adventure. There are more pics on my web site.

http://vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp8e/Adventure/thm_Adventure-169.JPG
http://vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp8e/Adventure/Adventure-156.JPG (larger pic of the above)

http://vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp8e/Adventure/thm_Adventure-165.JPG

tezza
August 22nd, 2010, 12:23 PM
Hi Bill,

I really enjoyed all the Scott Adams adventures in the day. My favourite would have been the two Savage Island ones, which I managed to get through without cheating! Zork was also conquered but not quite. The puzzle which had me stumped was how to open the jewel-encrusted egg without breaking it. I know now of course.

I must order the DVD of Get Lamp. These games had a big impact on my life.

Tez

Raven
August 22nd, 2010, 01:56 PM
That's a pretty terminal. :D

I grew up when ASCII games and primitive graphical games (late CGA, early EGA/VGA) were more popular, but I've played some text-based games after-the-fact.

There's a Star Wars MUD I played that was interesting, the only MUD I ever really played for more than five minutes.. I've played a bit of Zork (completed Return to Zork as a kid, but that's not text-based) on DOS, and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on C64.

I've played a few others, but not far enough to put here.

I'm getting some new machines tonight from Glitch, so maybe I'll get some pictures once I've got them set up with some games. The NEC APC should be good for text-based games. :)

Edit: Looks like that won't happen - the APC won't show a picture and didn't come with any disks.

Maniak
August 23rd, 2010, 11:50 AM
As portable or luggable the Kaypro is, I just can't drag it around to play Adventure or Zork.

So, Does this count?
Adventure on the iPhone
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4118/4920606447_dfc21fe819.jpg

Zork on the iphone
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4121/4920618645_7c8a2c1271.jpg

At least I can get my fix on the go (I have hitchhikers guide and a bunch of other z-machine games on the iPhone).

~Mark

billdeg
August 23rd, 2010, 04:27 PM
half credit :-)

DoctorPepper
August 25th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I recently got my PDP 8e
snip!

You sir, are officially my hero!

DoctorPepper
August 25th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I really enjoyed the Zork text adventures. I sometimes even play "adventure" on my Linux computers, in memory of Zork.

I never played around with the Scott Adams games, although I may have to start.

EddieDX4
August 28th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I just picked up a NIB copy of Cutthroat by INFOCOM for the C64 this past week, for $1.95 at my local recycler...

I never really played through/finished any of the INFOCOM games, but I got my Compaq Portable primarily to play through the Zork series, and I happen to have a boxed (albiet very worn box) copy of The Lurking Horror for Amiga that I've "played" a handful of times on my A1000.

I need to dedicate a weekend to playing some of these games, through... Then I could come up with a favorite.

bluethunder
August 28th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I used to play alot of the text adventures on my VIC carts..

Mission impossible, adventure land, pirate cove..

On the IBM, hitchhikers guide, zork, dungeon hack, and planet fall..

tezza
August 28th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I need to dedicate a weekend to playing some of these games, through... Then I could come up with a favorite.

Yea, problem is you need more than a weekend though, especially for most INFOCOM games. They are rich and complex. It took me a whole week of (geek-vacation) just to get through Zork 1! :)

Tez

Dwight Elvey
August 28th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hi
I never got a chance to play the Zork but I do
recall just starting with regular adventure.
I hadn't really thought about it for years.
I'd just got my Sparcbook S1 working with the scsi
interface so I could look at the distribution CDROM.
When looking through the files on the Sparcbook,
I noticed that the games directory was empty. I went
looking for that directory on the CDROM and sure enough,
about 30 games.
Of course, first in the directory was adventure ;)
Dwight

GilesGoat
December 15th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Just saying I can play zork1 and 2 on my cp/m system, I quite like "rogue" too even if that is not a text adventure game.

I played some Scott Adams adventures on the zx spectrum, more moderns ones but still pure text based.

Adventure of course is a super classic.

I wonder if you ever heard of Level 9 Computing, they were great for text adventures.

michal
December 15th, 2010, 02:32 PM
My favourite text adventures are book-based (I mean books, not book-based software).
I never liked the "type the text' thing, it was as fun as talking to automatic answering machines...
The only text-game I remember playing is Larry ;) oh and Mean Streets is another (the
part where you use the videophone, for example - the lady couldn't ever understand what
I was saying, until I figured out she just wanted to hear names).

You can put me on flames now...