PDA

View Full Version : Orchid PCTurbo 286e Info???

joekster
August 27th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I just got the board and have NO info. What do people know about the board? Documentation, drivers, jumpers, compatibility, etc... I did find some drivers attached to a different thread. I have to believe that someone knows about this board - it seems really cool!

per
August 27th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I just got the board and have NO info. What do people know about the board? Documentation, drivers, jumpers, compatibility, etc... I did find some drivers attached to a different thread. I have to believe that someone knows about this board - it seems really cool!

Those drivers were from me, actually they were from the ST-255 that came with one of my XTs.

The card is not like the usual accelerators. Instead of replacing the CPU in the PC/XT, it is its completely own computer-on-a-card which work side-by-side with the host computer. It uses the host computer for general I/O, but execution of programs happens on the card. Just be aware that even it works quite well sometimes, it's not 100% completely PC-compatible, as especially programs using low-level mannagment of the system are unstable when being run on this card.

I have also wondered about the jumpers, and have found the correct meaning for some of them:
The upper right jumpers labeled 8MHz/6MHz selects the clock speed of the CPU and MPU (if installed). You can follow the traces from those two jumpers to figure out what goes to what.
J1 selects the internal interrupt for the 287.
IRQ is what interrupt line the card uses to get attention from the host PC.
The IR/IQ jumpers are problably what interrupts the card can detect.
The 1M/2M jumper reflects the amount of RAM on the board (mine is 1M).
The IP jumpers are problably what I/O address the card uses in the host PC.
SW1 is misc settings which I have no clue about.

My card has 1MB of RAM, and nothing more. I've added a 287 by myself, but I haven't tested it yet with the 287 installed. What does your card contain?

joekster
August 27th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Thanks for your info!

My card seems totally expanded. It has the onboard 512kb + the 512kb expansion plus the 1mb expansion for a total of 2mb!!! It also has an 80287-3. I know the -3 doesn't mean 3mhz, I need to lookup the rated speed. The 286 is an 8mhz part. I'm not sure about your analysis of the 8/6mhz jumpers. On my tiny turbo, it has the same jumpers and they are for controlling the 287 speed. Apparently some (maybe all intel's?) 287's has a 5/4 divider so it can run slower than the cpu. I have not yet installed the card - maybe you can PM me all of the jumper positions that you have set. I would really love the memory expansion to be xms rather than ems so I can run windows in 286 mode... My card in a rev 1, I can take some photo's and post them if you like. Any experience with different dos versions? I saw that it supposedly doesn't work with msdos 5. what about 6?, dr-dos, freedos???....

per
August 27th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Thanks for your info!

My card seems totally expanded. It has the onboard 512kb + the 512kb expansion plus the 1mb expansion for a total of 2mb!!! It also has an 80287-3. I know the -3 doesn't mean 3mhz, I need to lookup the rated speed. The 286 is an 8mhz part. I'm not sure about your analysis of the 8/6mhz jumpers. On my tiny turbo, it has the same jumpers and they are for controlling the 287 speed. Apparently some (maybe all intel's?) 287's has a 5/4 divider so it can run slower than the cpu. I have not yet installed the card - maybe you can PM me all of the jumper positions that you have set. I would really love the memory expansion to be xms rather than ems so I can run windows in 286 mode... My card in a rev 1, I can take some photo's and post them if you like. Any experience with different dos versions? I saw that it supposedly doesn't work with msdos 5. what about 6?, dr-dos, freedos???....

There is also supposed to be some kind of EGA add-on to it too (I think), which connects to the two 40-pin headers.

For the jumpers, I have both if the upper ones set to 5MHz, the 287 is set to IR5, it's set to 1M (obivously; you should set this to 2M), All IR lines are jumpered, the card uses IRQ7, both IP jumpers are at 120, And Sw1 nr 1 till (and including) 5 are jumpered.

In order to use the 287, you need to run the driver with the "/!" switch. Here is a picture of my card: