PDA

View Full Version : Compaq SLT/286 Drive Error

Mr_Blah
October 20th, 2005, 11:59 PM
I've have just cleaned out my garage and I find a Compaq SLT/286 Laptop. So I plug it in and it starts checking ram. Then it comes to a screen saying "Systems Options are not set. Run Diagnostic Disk
Resume F1 Key"
I download a copy of the disk and place it in the floppy drive. But now it comes up as "Error 602: Diskette Boot Record Error"

What do I need to do? Is there a program or BIOS or do I just have a stuffed-up floppy drive and need a new one?

vbriel
October 21st, 2005, 04:06 AM
That is referring to the floppy I believe. Try a cleaning disk or replace floppy or floppy drive.

billdeg
October 23rd, 2005, 05:13 PM
You may need a new drive, but hopefully not..

My guess is that the internal battery is bad. You need to run the set up program, tell the system what kinds of hardware you have and when you reboot you should be good to go..assuming you name the correct hardware and only until you turn off the PC that is (no battery=forget BIOS). I have found that these batteries (for the Compaqs of that era) can come loose..check it to see. If not, take the battery out (may be on the left side on the wall of the system (?) and get a replacement at radio shack (hopefully they have this).

Hopefully the diskette error is due to the fact that the default setting for the bios is not the same as the drive in the machine. For example, it may be looking for a 360K drive when the drive is actually 1.44 3.5".

The hardest part will be to identify the correct hard drive type. I do not know what the type is. You will have to look this up on the web after you open up the system to get the part number.

I am an optimist, but this could be a real project. If it makes you feel better, I had a similar Compaq and over time I was able to get it 100% back on its feet.

Terry Yager
October 23rd, 2005, 11:07 PM
You should be able to d/l the Setup/Diagnostics disk-image from Compaq's website.

--T

Mr_Blah
October 24th, 2005, 01:26 AM
Ok, I have downloaded 2 disks of the internet, the diagnostics disk and some bios disk for the compaq.

I am using a windows 98 computer to load the diagnostics and bios onto the floppy disk. When I place it in the diskette drive of the laptop, it reads as a non-system disk error. So I get the disk and place it into my win98 computer to read the disk and then an error comes up as the disk being un-formatted. Then I place the same disk back into the laptop and it comes up as having the error, "Error 602: Diskette Boot Record Error".

Maybe the disks have to be formatted a certain way?

Also, how do you open up the laptop casing as there is some screw that none of my screwdrivers fit in?

vbriel
October 24th, 2005, 04:16 AM
I've had to use this set up, Compaq puts a special partition on their hard drives and this disk set is needed to get in and set up your bios. It is not DOS and is not readable by a pc (IIRC).

This disk should boot nomatter what your bios setting are (floppy is active by default) and you should be able to boot up onto the boot disk. Have you tried booting both disks? It's been a few years since I've done this. If you can't boot these floppies, and you are sure you have the correct ones for your laptop, then you have a dirty or bad floppy drive.

bombnav
July 28th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I've have just cleaned out my garage and I find a Compaq SLT/286 Laptop. So I plug it in and it starts checking ram. Then it comes to a screen saying "Systems Options are not set. Run Diagnostic Disk
Resume F1 Key"
I download a copy of the disk and place it in the floppy drive. But now it comes up as "Error 602: Diskette Boot Record Error"

What do I need to do? Is there a program or BIOS or do I just have a stuffed-up floppy drive and need a new one?

I have one of these as well. The battery is in the RTC (real time clock).

See this forus for an answer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=268501&page=1

Mauryx71
July 24th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Ok, I have downloaded 2 disks of the internet, the diagnostics disk and some bios disk for the compaq.

I am using a windows 98 computer to load the diagnostics and bios onto the floppy disk. When I place it in the diskette drive of the laptop, it reads as a non-system disk error. So I get the disk and place it into my win98 computer to read the disk and then an error comes up as the disk being un-formatted. Then I place the same disk back into the laptop and it comes up as having the error, "Error 602: Diskette Boot Record Error".

Maybe the disks have to be formatted a certain way?

Also, how do you open up the laptop casing as there is some screw that none of my screwdrivers fit in?

Hi Mr_Blah, can you tell me Web sites in which I can donload Diagnostic and Bios disks for my old SLT 286?
I thank you so much!!

modem7
July 24th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Hi Mr_Blah, can you tell me Web sites in which I can donload Diagnostic and Bios disks for my old SLT 286?
I thank you so much!!
According to many web sites, the setup/diagnostic diskette (720K sized) is created by running a program named SP0308.EXE
One location of that file is ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp0000-0500/sp0308.zip