PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying a mini 286

kb2syd
September 5th, 2010, 11:37 AM
About 9x9 inches. 286/16. Built in parallel, 2x serial, video, IDE, floppy and memory (all soldered in). Video is a 9pin out. I have no docs. Trying to figure out the type of video out. Previous owner said it was VGA. Made some time around 1990 (based on date codes and copyrights). Built into a 9x9 steel box with a floppy and 43 meg hard drive with an external power supply.

Anyone recognize this? I'd like to verify the video at least before just plugging it in.

Raven
September 5th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Well with that many Acer chips it's gotta be an Acer build. I'd think it's this board, or a similar one (http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/ACER-INC-286-SYSTEM-915P-II.html). Either way this indicates that it likely is CGA/Hercules, so try a CGA monitor I'd say.

kb2syd
September 5th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Except no expansion of any type and video is inbuilt, not a module. Probably close in function though.

Update: I have confirmed 2 things. The display out will drive a mono monitor. The internal battery won't hold a charge. Can't get it to boot yet because it always reverts back to no drive, 1.2 meg floppy, even on warm reboot.