PDA

View Full Version : Help with installing a monochrome video card into a XT-class system (AT&T 6300 WGS)

raifield
September 8th, 2010, 10:27 AM
When plugging a monochrome monitor into a monochrome card in my AT&T 6300 WGS, I get fuzzy lines flickering across the screen and no picture. Does anyone know why this would be the case?

Chuck(G)
September 8th, 2010, 11:16 AM
It's a little involved, but maybe this will help (http://sites.google.com/site/att6300shrine/tutorials/disable-video-card).

raifield
September 8th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I found the DIP switches, but the settings on the link you provided don't change anything.

Raven
September 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
What you probably weren't thinking about is that you've got a monochrome card onboard, so you actually want to disable the onboard one: EGA/onboard video disabled: SW5--On SW6--On

If what you meant is to use the onboard video with a monochrome monitor, then you want: 80 X 25 mono: SW5--Off SW6--Off

Chuck(G)
September 8th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Did you see the bold-faced warning YOU MUST HAVE ROM 1.43 OR HIGHER FOR THIS MODIFICATION TO WORK!!! ?

What ROM revision do you have?

raifield
September 8th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Did you see the bold-faced warning YOU MUST HAVE ROM 1.43 OR HIGHER FOR THIS MODIFICATION TO WORK!!! ?

What ROM revision do you have?

How would I find out the ROM revision? The WGS system is slightly newer than a 6300, so I assumed that the ROM revision would not be an issue, but this may be the sticking point.

What you probably weren't thinking about is that you've got a monochrome card onboard, so you actually want to disable the onboard one: EGA/onboard video disabled: SW5--On SW6--On

If what you meant is to use the onboard video with a monochrome monitor, then you want: 80 X 25 mono: SW5--Off SW6--Off

I tried disabling the option of disabling the on-board video, in addition to setting the on-board video to 80x25 mono.

However, this system has no onboard video. Only 7 8-bit ISA slots, one with a card that looks like it may have been designed to work with a 25-pin AT&T 6300 monitor, but removing that card and having my video card being the only video card in the system made no difference anyway.

Chuck(G)
September 8th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I suspect we're still fighting a BIOS issue. Have you tried something with its own BIOS, say an EGA or VGA card in this system? MDA and CGA rely on the motherboard BIOS for operation.

raifield
September 8th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I don't have an EGA or VGA card, but I'll find one on eBay and give that a shot. Thank you very much for your help, hopefully a different card will solve this issue. Then there is only a matter of what to actually do with the computer...

ahm
November 8th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Guys, the OP has a 6300 WGS (Work Group Station), which is not the same as a straight 6300.

The 6300 WGS has 2 sets of DIP switches, called SWA and SWB.
Video settings are switches 6 and 7 of SWA, as follows:

6 7 of SWA
1 1 = EGA installed
0 1 = 40 x 25 color
1 0 = 80 x 25 color
0 0 = 80 x 25 mono

HTH, Andy

raifield
November 9th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Thanks. Putting in a Hercules card worked, as did installing a VGA card. Only now I can't get my 8-bit IDE drive to format, but that's a question for a different thread.

MikeS
November 9th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Thanks. Putting in a Hercules card worked, as did installing a VGA card. Only now I can't get my 8-bit IDE drive to format, but that's a question for a different thread.A Hercules is a monochrome card, so for the next person with the same problem what did you do to get it to work?

raifield
November 9th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I didn't do anything, just plugged it in and it worked. Maybe it has it's own on-card BIOS? I really don't know.

ahm
November 13th, 2010, 03:21 PM
For future reference, I've posted the switch settings for the AT&T PC6300WGS (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?22678).