PDA

View Full Version : How do you open a Compaq Portable?

NeXT
September 10th, 2010, 04:45 PM
This is driving me nuts.
I can't get the plastic cover off this blasted system so I can get access to the card cage. I see tabs everywhere but they do nothing if you put a screwdriver in them and try and pry. What is the secret to this?

TanruNomad
September 10th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Yeah, they can be a bit tricky, but be extremely careful if you're using a screwdriver, you can damage the casing. My approach is to place by thumbs against from cover near the top (around the same height as the Compaq logo) and press up with them. While doing that I hold my fingers on the top and press down. This usually does the trick, but some portables are very stubborn and I do use a flathead and gently widen the opening and work my way across the top.

EddieDX4
September 12th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Whenever I'm working on my Portable, I leave it open, for weeks on end if needed.. It is truly a PITA to remove the case, but it's all about working your way, one point at a time.... There are 4 points that clip on... Snap one up, hold it with something while you snap the next....and so on, eventually it pops open. Kind of scary the first time.

Also, be careful not to score the plastic. Very easy to do.