PDA

View Full Version : What supports dual pentiums?

NeXT
September 23rd, 2010, 08:31 PM
I now got a dual PPro and dual Socket 7 motherboard but aside form NT and linux, what else even existed that supported multiple processors? I'm quite sure Windows 95 and 98 never supported SMP, shoot, I never knew the Pentium design even allowed for multiple processors.

Caluser2000
September 23rd, 2010, 08:35 PM
There are smp kernals available for OS/2. Novell Netware had smp support from v4(with an extension), V5 in the kernal.

saundby
September 23rd, 2010, 10:50 PM
I've still got a dual p90 HP Vectra. It was uniprocessor for the first two years of its life, then I got a second CPU out of another system that was being scrapped.

Yeah, the Win95/98 line don't use multiple processors. I've run NT, Linux, and OS/2 on mine.

NathanAllan
September 24th, 2010, 12:32 AM
I've still got a dual p90 HP Vectra. It was uniprocessor for the first two years of its life, then I got a second CPU out of another system that was being scrapped.

Yeah, the Win95/98 line don't use multiple processors. I've run NT, Linux, and OS/2 on mine.
hmm, since I never installed it, I never thought about the OS for my dual Pentium II Dell I have; it has a PII and I came up with an identical one for its second slot. Looks like it'll be a contemporary Linux for it.

krebizfan
September 24th, 2010, 12:06 PM
There is also the Bluebottle variant of Oberon which is another of the self hosted development environments and operating systems derived from Niklaus Wirth's work.

It is free; it is very different; you might want to try it. Like the related operating systems, a 3 button mouse is very helpful. Some scroll mice don't do a good job processing clicks with the center button/scroll wheel.

Caluser2000
September 24th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Just been reminising and for some reason BeOs popped up. It would appear it supported smp too- http://www.vxm.com/Impact.BeOSmultimedia.html There was a way of making the PE version into the full blown stand alone system, but can't remember the exact details. Unsure if Haiku does though http://www.haiku-os.org/

Qnx is another.

MV75
September 25th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Windows 2000. 'nuff said. :)

Mike Chambers
November 29th, 2010, 03:01 PM
yeah i have a Compaq Proliant 2500 with the dual pentium pros, overclocked from 200 to 233 MHz. the thing is a BEAST with both debian and windows 2000 server.

Unknown_K
November 29th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I would think NT4 would be good for the Dual P1's and PPro's , Win2k for anything faster (depending on RAM also).
NT 3.5.1 would be cool also if the system is supported. No idea what retail UNIX was around that will work well on x86 systems from that era.

Neon_WA
November 29th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I would think NT4 would be good for the Dual P1's and PPro's , Win2k for anything faster (depending on RAM also).
NT 3.5.1 would be cool also if the system is supported.

I would agree with that :-)
Found a copy of NT 4 Server to run my quad socket 5 easy... but still looking for a cheap copy of 3.51 Server to run the quad socket 4

NeXT
November 29th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I got copies of NT 4 everywhere here so that's not an issue.
I also got a nice Dual AT form factor PPro board. I'm just trying to find a case for it as when they state full-size AT, they mean full-size AT.

Anonymous Freak
November 29th, 2010, 03:37 PM
SCO Unixware was one. Quite a few "real" UNIXes. We had a mutli-processor 386 in high school that ran "real" BSD.

Mike Chambers
November 29th, 2010, 03:43 PM
NT 3.5.1 would be cool also if the system is supported. No idea what retail UNIX was around that will work well on x86 systems from that era.

2k server seriously screams on my dual PPros. I tried NT4 as well, which was of course also super fast but it was a bit too outdated. too much software that doesn't like to run on it anymore.

EDIT: although, my Proliant does have 640 MB of RAM....

Bassoonbloke
November 30th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Hi All,

I've had a bit of fun recently. I have a Dual P1 100mhx motherboard (1 from a Car Boot Sale - UK junk open market) with 64MB of ram and am currently running Windows XP Pro SP3. It has an 8MB 3D ATI graphics card installed, and a 6GB HDD.
Considering all things it runs pretty well, boot up is a bit on the slow side - well what do you expect. Office 2003 runs ok. Interesting watching the CPU use when doing anything, most of the time the processors are hitting to 100% end stops !!
If anyone would like a few pictures i'll try to get some taken and posted here.
Cheers,
Alan.

NeXT
November 30th, 2010, 07:56 AM
You are insane. :P

dorkbert
November 30th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Some years ago I ran W2k on a Gigabyte GA-586-DX dual P5 with a pair of P5-233 MMX. Its sole purpose was to run two instances of hyperterminal as debug terminal for some embedded systems, and it was still gawd awful slow. Running BeOS on it was ... tolerable, but alas there were very few things I could do with BeOS...

dorkbert
November 30th, 2010, 10:40 AM
You are insane. :PI think I heard that phrased used to describe me on and off, and considering the audience here, I suspect I am not alone :D

Shadow Lord
December 2nd, 2010, 09:05 AM
I ran Win2K WS quite nicely on an Abit BP6 w/ Dual Celery 366 OCed to 450. Was smooth, and fast it may not have scored the highest benchmarks but it did multitask w/out lag running most usual stuff.

Raven
December 2nd, 2010, 10:36 AM
Hi All,

I've had a bit of fun recently. I have a Dual P1 100mhx motherboard (1 from a Car Boot Sale - UK junk open market) with 64MB of ram and am currently running Windows XP Pro SP3. It has an 8MB 3D ATI graphics card installed, and a 6GB HDD.
Considering all things it runs pretty well, boot up is a bit on the slow side - well what do you expect. Office 2003 runs ok. Interesting watching the CPU use when doing anything, most of the time the processors are hitting to 100% end stops !!
If anyone would like a few pictures i'll try to get some taken and posted here.
Cheers,
Alan.

I was planning on getting something like that, but dual 300-400Mhz P1 w/ 512MB or more RAM. Was too hard to find a board, so it's on the backburner for now (as is all of my vintage stuff, at the moment, really - too little money for purchasing new "toys", heh).

Using a "Pentium Overdrive" (for Socket 4 and/or 5 systems) you can get a 100Mhz box up to at least 200Mhz iirc - would provide a substantial boost, as well as MMX.

Anonymous Freak
December 2nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
You are insane. :P

Back when XP first came out, I ran it on my Sony PictureBook. Pentium MMX 266 MHz, 64 MB RAM, 4 GB hard drive (upgraded to 20 GB a few months after upgrading to XP,) 6 MB MagicGraph video, and a Lucent WaveLAN card.

Ran it just fine as long as I didn't use "consumer" antivirus.

Pepinno
December 18th, 2010, 12:54 PM
SCO Unixware was one. Quite a few "real" UNIXes. We had a mutli-processor 386 in high school that ran "real" BSD.

As you say, also SCO OpenServer will run on that dual pentium-1 board just fine. It's System V Release 3.2 based, has TCP/IP, SMP support, an optional X11R5 GUI, and all the unix bundle (with the original true blood Bourne Shell, also).

Samir
December 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM
From what I remember, there was also a SMP version of NT that was designed for dual processor systems. I'll have to see how the dual processor thing works. I have a bunch of IBM PP200s that were all dual processor capable. :D

IBMMuseum
December 20th, 2010, 09:19 PM
From what I remember, there was also a SMP version of NT that was designed for dual processor systems. I'll have to see how the dual processor thing works. I have a bunch of IBM PP200s that were all dual processor capable. :D

The thread was opened by asking what else *besides* Windows NT supported multiple CPUs. NT Workstation supports a single or two CPUs. The next level, NT Server, supports between one to four CPUs. Above four CPUs, I remember "NT Enterprise", but forget the upper limit of CPUs you could use.

As I remember, you had to select the multi-processor kernel on install...

There are several IBM Servers (and a desktop system) that were dual PPro-capable. A few of those had a dual Slot 1 CPU card that could be used instead. In truly huge cases (but ultimately the same motherboard) there were a couple quad PPro servers.

And mixed PCI/MCA bus Server 720, that could have up to six Socket 7 Pentiums, or five CPU cards to install a second memory card to reach up to 2Gb RAM...

Raven
January 30th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Windows 98SE can support dual processors, but it's by way of a special new API that the community has created, and new programs must be coded to work with it. It would be a cool project to do it on era hardware like a dual Pentium box, though. :D

Anonymous Freak
January 31st, 2011, 01:44 PM
Windows 98SE can support dual processors, but it's by way of a special new API that the community has created, and new programs must be coded to work with it. It would be a cool project to do it on era hardware like a dual Pentium box, though. :D

I would love to see info on that. That strikes me as both insane that any community effort would bother, and incredible that they got it to work.

Back in pre-OS-X Apple days, the OS itself wasn't multi-processor aware, but a system extension made the second CPU available to applications. Is it something like that?

Raven
January 31st, 2011, 04:57 PM
Very lively Win9x community here:
http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/91-windows-9x-member-projects/

http://rloew.limewebs.com/
This guy (a member at the MSFN forum aforementioned) has made many 98SE breakthroughs, including the API for multicore, also one for 64-bit RAM access, a patch to fix the RAM limitations at ~1.5GB, etc. Some of these things are sold, not given away, though - in fact all of rloew's things are.. which is why they haven't caught on... :(