PDA

View Full Version : Sleepers

Caluser2000
September 24th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I'm sure there are some members out there who have XT/AT class chassies or earlier with a lot later internals. Do show and tell.

Chuck(G)
September 24th, 2010, 06:49 PM
How about later chassis with XT class innards?

glitch
September 24th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I used to have a 486 DX2-66 motherboard in my IBM XT chassis, back when the XT chassis was the /only/ one I had. It's got the original XT board that came with it back in there now. I do have an XT-compatible 8088 clone board in a modernish AT chassis for testing, at the moment.

Caluser2000
September 24th, 2010, 06:58 PM
How about later chassis with XT class innards?The ultimate sleeper you could say. Why not?

Chuck(G)
September 24th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I've got a XT clone in a MAD Intelligent Systems 386 box. I'll grab a photo sometime.

Raven
September 24th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I'd love to do something like that, but I only have one proper XT and one proper AT (as real IBM ones go).

There are AT-class Socket 775 boards, so one could conceivably mount a Core 2 Quad in an IBM 5150 case if they wanted to spend the money for the board, hah. THAT would be the ultimate sleeper.

My main box is in an old 10 year old beige case and it's a C2Q, heh.

MikeS
September 24th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I used to have a 486 DX2-66 motherboard in my IBM XT chassis, back when the XT chassis was the /only/ one I had. It's got the original XT board that came with it back in there now. I do have an XT-compatible 8088 clone board in a modernish AT chassis for testing, at the moment.Same here, almost exactly; the 486/XT was my answering machine/CallerID announcer for many years (upgraded the XT MB to save power), and the 'test' XT MB is in one of those flip-top cases (without the top) for easy access.

Raven
September 24th, 2010, 07:54 PM
What do you mean by "flip-top" case?

Unknown_K
September 24th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I don't think I would gut a working XT/AT and stick a 6 core board into it. There have been a few topics here where people were looking for the fastest AT motherboard made, so I assume they were looking to reuse an old AT case and make a "sleeper".

MikeS
September 24th, 2010, 07:59 PM
What do you mean by "flip-top" case?There were several different styles common in 'the old days'; this is like an AT case split in half, top and bottom, and hinged at the back with fancy little supports on each side to keep it open like the hood of a car. Convenient if you don't put a monitor on top ;-)

http://abcresellers.com/store/product136.html

Raven
September 24th, 2010, 08:04 PM
That's what I pictured, but I've never seen one like that (and I've seen my fair share of cases).

I'd never gut a working XT/AT either, Unknown_K, I'd find one with a burnt-out board or something along those lines, store the working cards/parts and then stick something in the case. :P

Caluser2000
September 24th, 2010, 08:12 PM
What do you mean by "flip-top" case?Exactly that. You pressed two buttons on the side if the case and the top pivoted backwards. All the ardent badarsed clone users had them. Quite common.

MikeS
September 24th, 2010, 08:12 PM
That's what I pictured, but I've never seen one like that (and I've seen my fair share of cases).Well, here's your chance! Let's see, they want Eur 149.99, that's about $200; I can let you have it for half that. Such a deal!

You think it's a sin to gut an XT or AT? I pulled the guts out of an expansion unit and put in an XT clone MB instead (I do regret it now that I'm wiser in these matters).

Caluser2000
September 24th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Well, here's your chance! Let's see, they want Eur 149.99, that's about $200; I can let you have it for half that. Such a deal!.A steal even:) Paid $2000 for mine. Full system of though. Gruntiest 286 on the market.

Dave Farquhar
September 25th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I've owned a 5170 case for about 15 years (purchased empty at a computer store for about 10 bucks). At first I dropped a 386DX/40 in it. Over the years it had several different Pentium boards in it, ending with an Abit IT5H with an IBM-branded 6x86MX in it. Seems appropriate. In a couple of its incarnations it served as my main PC for several years. I had a Soyo Socket 370 AT board that I really wanted to put in it so I could run Windows 2000 on a 500 MHz Celeron, but the memory slots wouldn't clear the HDD bay. I didn't have the heart to do in and start cutting stuff to make it fit.

I used to routinely put 486 and Pentium boards in IBM XT and AT cases. In the mid 1990s I could get all of them I wanted for $10 a pop, and I thought they were a lot nicer looking than the typical $40 mini-tower clone case. So when I built a PC for someone, I'd typically go get one of those as a starting point. I preferred AT cases because then I usually didn't have to replace the power supply.

I plan to put my 5170 back to work controlling lights on my train layout, once I get that wiring done.

JohnElliott
September 25th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I've got the innards of an IBM 5170 in the case of a 300MHz Dantum II (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/desktops/1359/dan-dantum-b-700fc) (it was necessary to replace the ATX power supply with an AT one, and replace the ATX power switch; fortunately it had screwholes for both flavours of motherboard). And a spare 5160 motherboard in a no-name AT case I happened to have.

The 5170 motherboard got evicted from its proper case to make room for a 486 EISA motherboard, you see...

Raven
September 26th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I have some cool wires for sticking ATX gear into an AT case - I have power switches that wire into an ATX soft power jumper but are compatible with the clicky switch format of an AT PSU. The real problem is the lack of a back panel. I had a clone AT case that we cut a panel hole in, it worked OK as an ATX case then, but I grew tired of it eventually (the Mitsuba one if you saw it in another thread at one point).

carangil
October 1st, 2010, 04:33 PM
My 'sleeper' is a no-brand 286 tower my dad bought in 1990/1991. In 1998 I emptied it out and put an old 486 in there.

Later in '99 I took out the 486 board and put in a k6-2 and voodoo3, which to this day, still runs inside. It's my choice machine to run 3dfx versions of Descent, Tomb Raider and Quake I/II. So right now it's a 10 year old system in a 20 year old case.

Damn, this case is heavy too. Empty, it weigh about 3 or 4 times as much as a modern desktop full. Whenever the k6 dies, I'll find a way to shoehorn a phenom in there! This was my first PC I used as a kid, so I'll probably always have it, and the insides will be replaced as things die.

For a while, I was thinking putting my recently acquired 286 board into that case, but I think I'll get a newish case for it instead. The anachronism of having all my boards in all the wrong cases is just too tempting.

billdeg
October 11th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I tried to stick a i7 system with a new Asus motherboard in a Compaq Portable...for about an hour, then realized it was pointless.

barythrin
October 11th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Don't think I've ever heard that term "sleeper" and I don't get the reference heh. Is it regarding members or a piece of equipment? (Yeah I'm with st00pid today) ;-)

Raven
October 11th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Piece of equipment. The word originates in reference to cars - i.e., an old-ass pickup truck with a racecar engine would be a "sleeper".

Shyzah
October 10th, 2017, 07:33 PM
Here's my sleeper. Owned it since 1996. Still not done with the build. Wont say anything else about it either until I'm completely done. Still need to make a mount to hold the GPU up so it's not on the verge of collapse, the vent holes are going to have RGB lights which will be separate fro the inside lights. I might add a 7 band spectrum analyzer on the front in the place of one of the dvd drives. Can't do any of this until the semester is over. Also need to get rid of some orange peel caused by the paint that I didn't have time to polish out.

DeafPK
October 24th, 2017, 10:31 PM
I did an m-atx sleeper once out of an m-atx case that held a low end 1998-spec celeron. The only mod was I drilled a hole for an exhaust fan and spray painted the chassis (not the covers) matte black. Ended up looking like a cute beige minitower until you looked at the backside where it was all powder black and a dim orange light glowing out of the exhaust vents. Had to use an sfx psu though.

Mr. Horse
December 18th, 2017, 05:29 AM
I had a dual 1366 system with in a old early atx server case a ways back.
It just looked like a crummy mid/late 90s workstation, but under the hood it was a 8 core 3.6ghz 48gb of ram beast. Even had 6 ssd's in raid 1+0. It took a bit of modding to make it quite and cool, but nothing to major.

NilsFor
January 26th, 2018, 09:00 PM
I used to have XT clone, looking for a pic in my folders.. :)

Kazblox
January 28th, 2018, 07:04 AM
No! No sleepers in my house! At all times possible, I try to have the original motherboard for every machine I own that I didn't make myself. Sadly, I have two motherboards that I don't know what cases they came in, and the answer would likely be ambiguous.

There is only one time where I had (and still am having) plans to put what is a different motherboard in a different case; an 80386DX-40 tower. The motherboard suffered from corrosion to where a resistor popped and half all the traces related to the EPROM wiring turned into a deep, nasty blue. Instead of me getting a new one, I realized that I got tired of finding a home for my 80386SX-33 motherboard, so I plan to shove it in there. I need to fix up the LCD segments at this point as well.

nc_mike
January 28th, 2018, 08:42 AM
I don' know if these two would quality, but...here are two for consideration.

I upgraded my PC/XT with a 386 InBoard/PC with a 133-pin compatible 486 chip, added an additional 4MB Inboard daughter card, an XT/IDE with CF drives and more for a decent sleeper while retaining the original 5160 motherboard - though doing so admittedly limits the rig 33MHz by the InBoard's oscillator and original system bus. Still, I don't it's too shabby given I was able to get it to run Windows 3.1 with snappy performance in enhanced mode and a boatload of DOS and Win 3.1 software with no negative effects.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/krYrxr

Then I decided to go the opposite direction, wanting to be able to run everything from DOS to Win7 and every Win OS edition in-between with full function - all on the same hardware without having to swap hardware or modify configuration when switching between them:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/yJjcCJ

...or maybe by sleeper you mean a total motherboard transplant in an XT case?

Mike

VERAULT
January 28th, 2018, 08:47 AM
I have an original XT 5160 with an 8087 math copro, 2gb scsi C3010 hard drive. 1.44 and 1.2MB floppy using an 8bit floppy interface card. 6 pack plus, 3com etherlink II TP, 8088 to 386 upgrade board (runs a ribbon cable to the 8088 dip socket, lets you run either cpu with a switch running at 16mhz right now.) I have various RAM cards but havent populated or tested them so its still 640KB with the 6 pack plus. Oh yeah, generic (maybe western digital, cant tell) 8 bit vga card with 256K video RAM.

ITs not a sleeper, its just not stock.

nc_mike
January 28th, 2018, 10:35 AM
I have an original XT 5160 with an 8087 math copro, 2gb scsi C3010 hard drive. 1.44 and 1.2MB floppy using an 8bit floppy interface card. 6 pack plus, 3com etherlink II TP, 8088 to 386 upgrade board (runs a ribbon cable to the 8088 dip socket, lets you run either cpu with a switch running at 16mhz right now.) I have various RAM cards but havent populated or tested them so its still 640KB with the 6 pack plus. Oh yeah, generic (maybe western digital, cant tell) 8 bit vga card with 256K video RAM.

ITs not a sleeper, its just not stock.

The CX486DRX2 20/40 is a direct drop in replacement for the 386 CPU that instantly boosts the Inboard upto 33MHz without having to modify any other hardware - just set up the cache. It's the fastest, easiest (literally) 5-10 minute upgrade, but you are still limited to 33MHz unless you replace the oscillator, and still limited by the smaller cache of the Cyrix CPU, but for $26 is was a no-brainer if you can find one. Quest had a slew of them in stock not long ago @ $26 each and now it lists as having none - quite odd. The piggyback memory boards for the Inboard are even more rare; the 4MB memory piggyback is a virtual unicorn.

VERAULT
January 28th, 2018, 10:41 AM
The CX486DRX2 20/40 is a direct drop in replacement for the 386 CPU that instantly boosts the Inboard upto 33MHz without having to modify any other hardware - just set up the cache. It's the fastest, easiest (literally) 5-10 minute upgrade, but you are still limited to 33MHz unless you replace the oscillator, and still limited by the smaller cache of the Cyrix CPU, but for $26 is was a no-brainer if you can find one. Quest had a slew of them in stock not long ago @ $26 each and now it lists as having none - quite odd. The piggyback memory boards for the Inboard are even more rare; the 4MB memory piggyback is a virtual unicorn.

Mike I don't think my card is an inboard. Need to verify, but I don't think it is. I used to have an orchid tiiny turbo xt to 286 board but I got a great offer for it on eBay a few years back.

Mad-Mike
February 12th, 2018, 07:22 AM
Two of my machines are sleeper, one is my 486, the other is modern..

My 486 is in a New-Old-Stock 1980's (circa 1986 I surmise) SongCheer XT Clone Chassis with a new-old-stock JD Microdevices 200 Watt XT Power Supply - both of those I bought from BJ Surplus on E-bay, the case in 2004, the power supply last year. Before me, that case had never been used by anyone, just packed away in a box for something-teen years.

Hardware in the 486 is a FIC 486-PVT Socket 3 motherboard sourced from a user here on VCFED, except I've since modified it by replacing the hearing aid CMOS battery with a proper CR2302 modern style battery holder and battery (it had the silkscreening on the motherboard and no missing components so heck yeah!). It has a AMD 486 DX4-100 SV8 w/ Writeback cache and 8K L1 on board, with active cooling that takes power from the FIC. 512K L2 Cache, 64MB of RAM (I have 128MB for it but it gives RAM errors on POST anywhere above 64MB for some crazy reason), VLB S3 805 graphics (2MB) VLB, PTI-255W Winbond Super I/O Card soon to be set to 250ms seek time as I run nothing but PIO4 drives on this computer (15GB and 40GB). It runs Windows For Workgroups 3.11 on top of DOS 6.22 and Windows 95 OEM OSR2 (aka. Windows 97') and is rather fast and comfortable. It also does some useful things as well as gaming, like PCB layouts for guitar pedals and other electronic projects + schematics, vintage-style pixel art and computer graphics, multitrack recording in N-Track Studio 3 (somehow my VLB card is fast enough to do 3 tracks of WAV audio simultaniously - kind of impressive for a 486 class machine), NES ROM Hacking when I feel like it, and I also do songwriting, gutiar tabs, and other stuff with it. I love those old dual full height 5.25" front bay cases.

Hardware in the smaller LCD clad desktop is a new-old-stock InWin D500 mATX case that looks like something that could have existed in 1990. Let's just say it's a tad out of scope for this forum (500GB SSD, 1TB Spindle, DVD-RW, Intel Desktop Board, Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz, on-board Intel Graphics, Media Bay Reader, trash picked Samsung LCD over DVI). Ir runs Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and runs it like a champ.

I USED to have a pretty kick-butt case-modded sleeper - the GEM PIII I called it.

It was an old mid 1980's - probably Magitronic now that I think of it - Compaq Deskpro 8086/286/386 styled case except it was full sized AT form factor. In my younger, stupider days I took tools to it and converted it into a wicked mATX setup that had some cool tricks like a push-button stuck where the paddle switch was (that still gave a confirming click), and I grafted in a digital readout from a 486 just for the fun of it. I used that thing for 7-10ish years and I loved it. Started my Youtube channel on it. It ran Vista when Microsoft was giving out the free beta, which I had no problems with whatsoever, this thing ran anything I could throw at it.

What's kind of cool about this one also is it basically lived as a 386 DX-20 originally, then a 486 (AMD 5x86 133), then a Pentium (P75, P120, P200 MMX), then a Celeron 500 (first board after case mod, was a HP "Camaro" Motherboard), and then it was the PIII, which had the intel Desktop board, 667MHz PIII first, then a 1GHZ, and 1/2 a GB of RAM (512MB). I ran this thing into the ground under Windows 2000 Professional SP4. Then I replaced it with a ho-hum tower for awhile until I built that mATX micro-beast earlier in my post.

I love sleepers - nothing like cold booting that GEM up and my friends did a double take (after the "why do you have 2 DVD-RWS in a 286?" comment) and seeing the confused look of seeing win2K boot on something so "old", LOL.

Capt. 2110
February 25th, 2018, 10:18 PM
Not a 486 class machine or anything, but I built a brand new machine in an old (2004-2006) Compaq Presario SR2010NX case. Fun to make it look like it's still the original machine. :)
All the other systems in here are cooler though. :)

Roland Huisman
February 26th, 2018, 10:31 AM
Well this is my sleeper. It was quite a pleasant surprise :D

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?62307-Laser-286-3X-turns-out-to-be-an-486DLC