PDA

View Full Version : 5.25" drive Error!

DataSette
October 20th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Hello!
I have a Pentium1 Computer.
There is a: 5.25" floppy drive.
I put into it a commodor disk. I wanted to reformat the disk but did not allow!!
But this album works in a 1571-DiskDrive.

HELP!

carlsson
October 20th, 2010, 10:46 PM
In MS-DOS or similar, you probably will need to add the /U parameter to skip the checking of current format:

format b: /u /f:360

However you should be aware that a 1571 drive can not (*) read PC floppy disks, and the same is true in the other direction. In order to transfer data to and from a Commodore floppy disk, there are several alternative methods of which the X-series cables are the most common and easiest to get. If you run MS-DOS on your Pentium computer, you could get an XE1541 cable. If you run some Windows NT derivate (**) or Linux, you will want an XM1541 cable which is almost the same except two wires are swapped.

As a side note, back in the old days I found that floppy disks once used on a PC were almost impossible to reformat and use on e.g. a C64. Your milage may vary, but still to this day I try to keep apart disks used with a MFM encoding floppy drive and disks used with a GCR encoding drive. It may not make sense but we all have our little ticks and tricks - this is one of mine. :-D

(*) Ok, you can make an internal hardware modification and use Big Blue Reader, at least on a C128 but that might be a little out of scope here.

(**) I once ran Windows 2000 on a Pentium 166 with 64 MB RAM. It was not too bad, as long as you stayed away from starting Microsoft Office.

Raven
October 21st, 2010, 05:37 PM
IIRC there's a new cable around that provides the best of both XE and XM cable worlds, can't recall what it's known as, though. There's also switchable adapters (this is what I have) that do both modes with a re-jumpering.

DataSette
October 24th, 2010, 05:51 AM
In MS-DOS or similar, you probably will need to add the /U parameter to skip the checking of current format:

format b: /u /f:360

However you should be aware that a 1571 drive can not (*) read PC floppy disks, and the same is true in the other direction. In order to transfer data to and from a Commodore floppy disk, there are several alternative methods of which the X-series cables are the most common and easiest to get. If you run MS-DOS on your Pentium computer, you could get an XE1541 cable. If you run some Windows NT derivate (**) or Linux, you will want an XM1541 cable which is almost the same except two wires are swapped.

As a side note, back in the old days I found that floppy disks once used on a PC were almost impossible to reformat and use on e.g. a C64. Your milage may vary, but still to this day I try to keep apart disks used with a MFM encoding floppy drive and disks used with a GCR encoding drive. It may not make sense but we all have our little ticks and tricks - this is one of mine. :-D

(*) Ok, you can make an internal hardware modification and use Big Blue Reader, at least on a C128 but that might be a little out of scope here.

(**) I once ran Windows 2000 on a Pentium 166 with 64 MB RAM. It was not too bad, as long as you stayed away from starting Microsoft Office.

I've got 1541 disks. Use in a 1571

DataSette
October 24th, 2010, 05:52 AM
IIRC there's a new cable around that provides the best of both XE and XM cable worlds, can't recall what it's known as, though. There's also switchable adapters (this is what I have) that do both modes with a re-jumpering.

What'S

carlsson
October 24th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I am not aware of this cable Raven mentions, but if you are interested about the X-series cables, you can visit this site:
http://sta.c64.org/xcables.html

This page is maintained by Kovács Balázs, i.e. one of your Hungarian landsmen which would simplify a bit if you feel the need to contact him personally about something, e.g. ask if he still has any cables for sale.

Raven
October 24th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I am not aware of this cable Raven mentions, but if you are interested about the X-series cables, you can visit this site:
http://sta.c64.org/xcables.html

This page is maintained by Kovács Balázs, i.e. one of your Hungarian landsmen which would simplify a bit if you feel the need to contact him personally about something, e.g. ask if he still has any cables for sale.

If I recall properly the XA1541 (mentioned on that very page http://sta.c64.org/xa1541.html) is the one I was thinking of. It's supposed to be compatible in all of the XM and XE situations and *more*.

carlsson
October 24th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Hm, ok. I thought the XA cable only was useful with the handful of motherboards that has a non-standard parallel port which doesn't handle XE/XM cables. Then again, the only application I'm aware of that doesn't handle the XM cable would be the free version of 64HDD. I think for example Star Commander handles any cable.

The question is though if this is what DataSette is trying to do, transfer Commodore software from his PC.

DataSette
October 25th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Hm, ok. I thought the XA cable only was useful with the handful of motherboards that has a non-standard parallel port which doesn't handle XE/XM cables. Then again, the only application I'm aware of that doesn't handle the XM cable would be the free version of 64HDD. I think for example Star Commander handles any cable.

The question is though if this is what DataSette is trying to do, transfer Commodore software from his PC.

No.
I use just a disk if i geted in the net an 5.25" floppy drive. And i trying a C64 1541 floppy. IT'S NOT WORKING!!!
1block=?MB